Hello from the Fens.

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Richard, I would be interested to hear more about your solar and wind turbine charging set up.....does this supply your boat with 'mains' with normal plug sockets or do you use the energy produced straight from the solar/turbines via a transformer ?

Lynda :)
Hello Lynda. Practically everything on board is 12V. What could not be converted to 12V gets powered from an inverter. All solar and wind yield goes through a homebrew regulator to a bank of lead-acids. I reckon I can spare enough to run the bike 10 months a year. I'm currently using the charger supplied for the Lithium powered from the inverter. I'll be taking some accurate measurements soon, but with so much sun lately, there's plenty to spare.

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Thanks, yes it was quite a pleasant ride. It’s very ‘Dutch’ north of Cambridge, plenty of water, big skies - no hills but the power is handy for the winds.

The Spanish sign was just after I’d passed a large industrial looking complex, complete with numerous accommodation blocks, that I’d guessed was some sort of [FONT=&]agricultural processing plant[/FONT]. I’ve just looked them up and it belongs to this company, who have several farms in Spain. This junction would be the first the Spanish lorry drivers encounter after leaving their site.
What is missing is decent link between Waterbeach and Little Thetford. I get loads of work offered in Cambridge, but there is no way I'd take to the A10 in the morning. Shame on me, I wooss out and take my bike on the train.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I'm having a great evening. Watching Silverstone Classic 2013 on ITV4 and listening to KLF links. Now, let's see if I can shake the ornaments of the mantlepiece with the laptop soundbar!! :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hello Lynda. Practically everything on board is 12V. What could not be converted to 12V gets powered from an inverter. All solar and wind yield goes through a homebrew regulator to a bank of lead-acids. I reckon I can spare enough to run the bike 10 months a year. I'm currently using the charger supplied for the Lithium powered from the inverter. I'll be taking some accurate measurements soon, but with so much sun lately, there's plenty to spare.
Thats interesting Richard, I look forward to hearing the measurements when you take them. I have a solar panel on my van but havent yet attempted to ever charge my bike battery from it.
But I know what you mean about all that sun.....I love watching my control thingy showing all that charge going in....very satisfying :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
and for my funeral at max volume please
I will remember that, but I havent managed to kill you yet.....relax :cool:

FYI......mine is Run by Snow Patrol.......can anyone post the link....please....
then we can all chill with Bob......

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Thats interesting Richard, I look forward to hearing the measurements when you take them. I have a solar panel on my van but havent yet attempted to ever charge my bike battery from it.
But I know what you mean about all that sun.....I love watching my control thingy showing all that charge going in....very satisfying :D

Me too ! And I don't mind the noise from the turbine when I'm in bed, especially if I've hit the batteries hard. The best of all is ads on the radio encouraging me to change my 'leccy provider. They can just take a walk :)

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Let's go living in the past? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoy91sYdQPE

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Me too ! And I don't mind the noise from the turbine when I'm in bed, especially if I've hit the batteries hard. The best of all is ads on the radio encouraging me to change my 'leccy provider. They can just take a walk :)
Ive always fancied a wind turbine for the van and the whirring would just lull you to sleep I would think.

And even if it annoyed you it would be more than made up for by being free of charge :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
or the cover version:confused:
I prefer the cover version and I can well understand why you would....;)

I hope Bob has still got some ornaments left.........

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
You've got the idea, Lynda. Lord knows, we've all paid enough in the past. Worked and worked and paid and paid. I think with a modest van or boat we can all take a break.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
What is missing is decent link between Waterbeach and Little Thetford. I get loads of work offered in Cambridge, but there is no way I'd take to the A10 in the morning. Shame on me, I wooss out and take my bike on the train.
[FONT=&amp]No shame, I’m sure I’d take the train as well if I was working all day. Even with a better link to Waterbeach it would be a very long commute by bike. My trip was purely for pleasure and I had all afternoon.[/FONT]