Hello, looking to get a conversion kit on my road bike..

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you read what they said about the forks? The problem is that it has a round axle with a small anti-rotation tab to stop the axle from rotating. You can use them in aluminium forks as long as there's some meat around the drop-outs and you make the nuts nice and tight, but steel forks would be much safer.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a freewheel motor. Unfortunately too many people refer to a freewheelgear set as a cassette. The correct name for a cassette gearset is a free-hub gearset, but most people call them cassette gears - all very confusing.

As an aside, I sold a special freewheel gearset to a forum member via Ebay. After I sent it, he saw one at 1/5 of the price on a Chine website, but it was a cassette wrongly described as a freewheel. He wasn't in when mine arrived so it was delivered next door. Trying to make an opportunity out of that, he said it was impossible to retrieve his parcel from next door for vaious reasons, so he wanted a refund, and immediately raised a claim on Ebay. I guess he ordered the Chinese one to save money. I don't think he was very clever because he told me that he didn't need mine anymore because he found the cheaper one at 1/5 the price. I knew that mine was the cheapest you could get because I bought it in bulk direct from the manufacturer and didn't charge extra for profit. After a couple of weeks, I guess when he got his Chinese one that didn't fit, I got a message from Ebay to say that he had retrieved the parcel and dropped his claim.

Reactions: Godric

Godric

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2016
Bristol
Lol, so which one is better? Freewheel or cassette? Why would the Chinese one not fit? If the speeds match does it matter in terms of fitment. Like 8 speed free hub gear vs 8 freewheel?

D

Deleted member 4366

Two types of motors:

1. Freewheel motors have a thread for a screw-on freewheel. Most freewheels, except the ones I sold (DNP) can only go down to 14 teeth on the top gear, which makes you run out of pedal speed when you go downhill or have a motor faster than 15 mph. Also, they become too wide above 7 speeds. You can screw them on by hand, but you need a freewheel tool to get them off.

2. Cassette motors have a spline that the gearset is threaded onto and held with a screwed retaining cap. You can have up to 10 speeds with however many teeth you want down to 11T, which gives comfortable pedaliing above 15 mph. You need a cassette tool to tighten the retaining cap and a chain-whip tool as well to get them off.

Reactions: Godric