Helmet debate... new twist

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Hi everyone, sorry to drag this thread up again, but i wanted to share this with you all.
So far i have kept out of the helmet debates, in my mind it's your choice whether you wear one or not. I have never worn a helmet in all my years of cycling. When i look back at the stupid things i did on a bicycle in my early years i don't know how i survived!

Just recently i have fitted hub motors firstly to my bike and then my wife's bike. Now if something went wrong with the hub and it seized. Whether you like it or not you are going to take a trip over the handlebars and land on the deck, head first.
So i insisted that my wife and i should start wearing helmets for that very reason.

On friday while cycling home (on my non-electric bike) on a shared cycle path, there was a woman with two dogs, one in front and one behind on a long lead. I slowed up, just as i was level with the dog it changed direction and i panic braked. The bike went up on the front wheel, over centre and i fell head first onto the tarmac. It's weird how quickly it happens yet i can remember thinking 'i'm glad i'm wearing this helmet' as my head 'whacked' the tarmac very very hard. Women was very apologetic and I was able to climb back on my bike and ride home.

It really didn't matter to me who's fault it was. It was an accident and probably my fault for yanking on the brakes too hard (i am used to riding my ebike with heavy batteries). These things happen. That is why i decided to wear a helmet. As a fifty two year old, i don't bounce very well. I didn't get away with it totally as my wrist started to swell in the afternoon so spent three hours in A&E waiting for an xray. Now i'm off work with a suspected fracture. Still, it could have worse..............much worse.

Yes, that is a dent in the helmet.
Safe riding everyone.
Mel

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Don't forget to throw your helmet away.
After 1 impact or crash, a helmet provides a much reduced level of protection for future crashes.
Paul

Heavenfire

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2009
It is written (offthread)

But just now I stumbled upon the quote "It is written." and so looked on Google to see where I had heard it before.
Turns it's from the movie "Lawrence of Arabia".
The popular use of "it is written" probably comes from the Bible, Luke chapter 4. Jesus was tempted three times by the Devil and three times the answer is based on the statement "it is written". The focus on authoratative writings (especially, but not solely the Jewish Law) during Old Testament times led the phrase "it is written" to become commonplace in referencing an answer (e.g. Joshua 10:13, Psalms 40:7).

Chris

Whoops!! - I just realised I was commenting on an ancient post .... oh well, done now! :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
f#&*%$#g dogs.
I always slow to near walking pace when passing pedestrians on shared footpaths etc, with or without dogs, it's the only way to be safe since humans can be just as daft as dogs at times.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Flecc, my comment was more towards dogs in general than them bringing people off bikes.

Having shot 5 squirrels in my garden in the last few days I am contemplating turning my attention to neighbours' barking dogs now. Running them down is less effective because it involves a risk to oneself but enjoyable nonetheless.

Please not, I have tried to put html joke tags around some of this but the forum software does not accept them. :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If I slowed down for every dog or person in striking distance I might as well give up and get the train, as a result I may have hit the odd stupid/stubborn person or dog in my travels. :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Please not, I have tried to put html joke tags around some of this but the forum software does not accept them. :D
I do shoot grey squirrels in the garden, no joke tags needed as I really do, 139 dead to date. :eek:

The local dogs are probably too scared to bark. :D

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
No joke about the squirrels! My neighbour over the road traps and drowns them, I shoot them.

The ones in my French place were much prettier, being red ones but of course were no different to greys in their behaviour.

Shooting anything with an air rifle (which I have now) is illegal in France as they are regarded as toys. But of course hunting licenses are easy to get so most people have shotguns or, especially, .22s.

It seemed quite odd to me that perfectly ordinary people would go out hunting in France, no class thing about it at all. I was also talking to a huntsman about foxes but they cannot understand hunting something you can't eat, thus wild boar and deer are their quarry from horseback, smaller creatures from the ground.

On my patch in Normandy it was quite noisy and not a little dangerous at times as the hunters were maybe 20 metres away from my couple of hectares with their rifles. No health and safety executive in France, of course.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
This really is a new twist on the helmet debate :D

Where can we take it next... :p

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
erm...well all I can think of is to say that I used to wear a helmet in the hunting season...but I didn't.

Way off topic, sorry. Just spent a horrible greasy afternoon putting in a new rear inner tube in my rear wheel and got so greasy and fed up so I rejected all bike talk!

Getting the Shimano's change cable stay in is really awkward. Maybe I should have shot that too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was also talking to a huntsman about foxes but they cannot understand hunting something you can't eat, thus wild boar and deer are their quarry from horseback, smaller creatures from the ground.
Yes, I admire that attitude in the French, I'd prefer to have hunting that way here, apart from true pest control of course which is a different matter.

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
I do shoot grey squirrels in the garden, no joke tags needed as I really do, 139 dead to date. :eek:

The local dogs are probably too scared to bark. :D
In post #26 of this thread, you told us how you "take great care not to get hurt, nor to hurt any other creature".

It must sting a bit when you shoot 'em though... ;)

:D

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
In post #26 of this thread, you told us how you "take great care not to get hurt, nor to hurt any other creature".

It must sting a bit when you shoot 'em though... ;)

:D
Now there's someone who really pays attention when reading a thread!

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
I guess as a lecturer, people paying attention must come as something of a novelty to you... :D

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi,

Now we're getting onto sensible things like enhanced Darwinian processes it may be safe for me to join the thread.

The grey squirrels don't worry me too much. They damage some of my trees but the other wildlife gives them a hard time. I once had to pick up half a squirrel off my lawn.

But what really does exercise me is moles. I've been waging a battle for about 2 years now and only got one of them. Any ideas?

Nick