Helmet weares only

C

Cyclezee

Just knew you wouldn't be able to resist taking the bait and joining in on this thread for long Tony:D

But, what really amazes me is the very strong feelings this topic has raised over what I would consider a relatively minor issue. At least it has kept the forum active during what is a fairly quiet time of year.

J:) hn

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
The on subject replies have been interesting to read (as have the off subjects :) ). I was rather hoping more wearers would post about their choice of helmets. Alas it seems it’s not to be.
My previous helmet (Kinetic) has hung in the cupboard the last 15 years. It’s been out a number of times but seldom stays out. A short ride with it on soon reminds me why I never wear it and it goes back in the cupboard – uncomfortable, cold and looks silly.
The point about trying a helmet out first seems sound advice.
Unfortunately, that’s not been an option as I’ve bought via the Internet.
As I much prefer riding wearing a baseball cap I decided to opt for something similar so I’ve gone for one of 50 cycles Yakkay cycle helmets.
I was hoping that someone may already have had a Yakkay cycle helmet and been able to post their opinions on it.
Anyway, enough of the “H” word for now :rolleyes:
I’ll post how we get on together at some future point.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’ve gone for one of 50 cycles Yakkay cycle helmets.
Good idea Footie.

Although I don't wear one myself, there's no doubt that some can look good in them, so I think it's like any headwear, a matter of getting the style that suits one's appearance.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Has anyone tried the Yakkay or Bern ones? or any other helmet that doesnt really look like one? Any thoughts on them?

I'm terrified of deer strikes while descending hills (i've scraped one before) Having identified a route specific HAZARD, i have been thinking a helmet might be a lesser of two evils.

PS I shouldnt answer this thread either, as i dont currently wear a helmet and i cant imagine riding on UK roads with one that 'looked like a helmet'. Dont ask why. I have my own reasons but the thread title excludes me from saying them.

C

Cyclezee

I'm terrified of deer strikes while descending hills (i've scraped one before) Having identified a route specific HAZARD, i have been thinking a helmet might be a lesser of two evils.
I actually ran right over a Muntjac Deer tonight on the way home from work. Fortunately for me, I was in my car when a Mini in front of me swerved to the left and due to the oncoming headlights I didn't see it's body lying in the road until the last second, I had no option but to drive right over the top of it. I was about 4 miles east of Woburn Abbey on the A507 in a wooded area which is inhabited by escapees from the safari park. Thank God it wasn't a Rhino.

C

Cyclezee

Frank,

The poor deer couldn't find a helmet to fit, but I was wearing one of these:D
hat_pattern1.jpg

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
essexman posted:
yup its the muntjac i'm scared of. They are hard to spot and they bolt more than the other deer, which look before crossing the road.

Just did a bit of reading up on your muntjac.
It said they are known as the "barking deer".
Muntjac Deer

It may be a daft idea but, perhaps if you found a horn that sounded like a "bark" it might scare them out of the way faster :)

Mind you, it could also make you more attractive to them - Oh deer :eek:

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
essexman posted:
yup its the muntjac i'm scared of. They are hard to spot and they bolt more than the other deer, which look before crossing the road.

Just did a bit of reading up on your muntjac.
It said they are known as the "barking deer".
Muntjac Deer

It may be a daft idea but, perhaps if you found a horn that sounded like a "bark" it might scare them out of the way faster :)

Mind you, it could also make you more attractive to them - Oh deer :eek:

Worth a try! I shout\sing\ring my bell at the bits where i know they lurk , so they know something is coming. I'll add barking to the mix!

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
New Yakkay styles

Yakkay have revealed some new styles for this season, quite a varied selection this time

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I like the Casco, but I can't say I like the Yakkay style at all - any of them. I'm sure it's all a matter of preference, but I think a helmet should look the part. If you're going to wear one at all, that is.

Rog.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I like the Casco, but I can't say I like the Yakkay style at all - any of them. I'm sure it's all a matter of preference, but I think a helmet should look the part. If you're going to wear one at all, that is.

Rog.
But just wait for the Royal Ascot version next Spring. :D

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Not sure about these helmets, I suppose it's just a matter of taste. They do look like they could get awfully hot though - not much ventilation about....One of the reasons I find helmets uncomfortable is that I find I sweat a lot when I ride, despite being reasonably fit - it's just that I seem to be built that way. Even on an electric bike, when I'm cycling over some of the hills on my Wisper I still need to put in a very significant amount of effort to get up the steep stuff. Consequently I think an unventilated helmet sounds like torture on a hot day :( .

Incidentally, I am now riding my hybrid rather than my ebike most days, and I don't find it much more effort to get up the hills (although I am going much slower, in very low gears), on the downhills it is a real blast and much more fun. Don't take this as a criticism of my e-bike though. If it hadn't been for my Wisper I'm certain I would never have got to this point and would still be in the car. I'm very grateful to it for getting me fit enough to get back on my 'normal' bike for what I think many would find (including me at the outset) a very tough commute. Continue to use it, mainly to carry loads, or on rotten windy days, when the idea of pedalling into a 40mph headwind tends to cause you to start to lose the will to live...:eek:

Phil.