Helmet weares only

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Bicycle helmet saves life

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- A driver, now identified as an Asheville firefighter, shot a bicycle rider because he was angry the man was riding with his child on a busy road, Asheville police said.

The shooting happened Sunday morning on Tunnel Road.
Officers said the victim was riding with his wife and had his 3-year-old son in a child seat attached to his bicycle when a driver approached him.
Police said the driver, Charles Diez, claimed he was upset that the victim was bike riding with his child on the heavily traveled Tunnel Road.
Diez pulled a gun and opened fire, hitting the victim in his bicycle helmet, according to police.
They said the bullet penetrated the outer lining of the helmet but did not actually hit the victim's head.
Police arrested Diez and charged him with attempted first degree murder.
His bond was set at $500,000.
Diez has been a firefighter with the Asheville Fire Department since 1992, according to officials.
On Monday, they confirmed he has been placed on paid investigative leave pending the outcome of this investigation.

Police: Asheville Firefighter Shot Bicyclist - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

As someone in the comment sections rightly asks - what brand of helmet was that?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As someone in the comment sections rightly asks - what brand of helmet was that?
Sounds like the handgun may have been a "Saturday night special", small calibre and weak. Diaz was a fair shot though, hitting a moving cyclist in the helmet from a moving car while driving. Seems they could have a use for him in Afghanistan rather than firefighting or languishing in jail.

Fat Elvis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2008
I never used to where a helmet, Missus went on and on at me, Last tuesday i went flying over the bonnet of a car and landed right on the top of my head, It was only a £12 cheap sainburys helmet and after a few hours in an ambulance and strapped to a spine board in xray i was let out ,, best £12 i have ever spent and the missus still aint stopped saying i told you so ,

P.S anyone know a good solicitor as the insurance company of the driver are already getting wriggly

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
They say the only good lawyer is a dead one, but (as one such, though not for traffic stuff) my only advice is avoid the no win no fee brigade and go to a reputable local firm. But keep an eye on how much it's worth, ie bike damage, injury, time off work and who's fault it could have been.