Helmets @ Aldi

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I purchased one of these helmets 3 years ago for £19.99 and have found it to be far superior to the normal cycle helmet . It fits snuggly , is warmer and the chinstrap is comfortable . They only came in matt black or white then . Anyone with doubts should set them aside and buy one . I remember recommending one to Lynda , but she was having none of it . I won`t try with Flecc , I don`t think I could convince him !

Reactions: flecc

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
These helmets do look like they give better protection than a normal cycle helmet.... although i should imagine they are hot in the summer.
Although neither will apply to me as i rarely wear a cycle helmet anyway.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I won`t try with Flecc , I don`t think I could convince him !
If I needed a helmet, for example in doing something dangerous like rock climbing, climbing a ladder or getting a heavy saucepan down from a high shelf, I'd be very happy to wear one of these.

But not for walking down the street, running or cycling.

Reactions: oldtom

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If I needed a helmet, for example in doing something dangerous like rock climbing, climbing a ladder or getting a heavy saucepan down from a high shelf, I'd be very happy to wear one of these.

But not for walking down the street, running or cycling.
Oh flecc, you don't go running do you?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh flecc, you don't go running do you?
While I've been out walking in tne countryside I do very occasionally break into short runs just to keep muscle loose, active and able.

You know the old motto, "Use it or lose it".

But my mention of running was just a deliberate tease of the helmet brigade. E-bikes are assist limited to about 15 mph and most who ever buy an ebike never exceed that on the flat but often wear helmets, even when cycling in very flat areas. An averagely fit adult can run at around 18 mph for short distances but when doing so would never dream of wearing a helmet. Of course this is only one of the many examples of irrationality in helmet wearing choices.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
  • Size/height adjustable for optimal fit
  • Adjustable strap with cushioned chin pad
  • Goggles holder
  • Washable inside padding
  • Includes removable rear light
  • M/L available in white and L/XL available in blue or black
Two unusual but potentially useful features I see :)

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Heads Up, intentional pun:rolleyes:
Once again Aldi is going to be selling their snowboard/ski helmets which are also good for cycling
Thanks for the link, though I doubt the small Aldi nearby will have much in, I do wear a helmet, but had to get a pointy one as that's all the local Halfords had in my size - what can I say - I have literally a big head, and after 40yrs driving a van (not white van man) I know how people drive around where I live especially how close they get to cyclists, (and I know how my sister drives - but don't tell her I said that).

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine has a goggle holder tho cant see the point in it tbh

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
mine has a goggle holder tho cant see the point in it tbh
Do they hold goggles with an elastic strap only, or can they hold a pair of cycling glasses too? Can't see on the Aldi picture, quite how the holder works.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ill take a pic off mine. back in a bit. ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Hubby and me have just bought helmets on eBay which I think are good value, here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321802565575?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I have checked and they are indeed selling for the £59.99 rrp online so £10 including delivery is superb value.

The helmet was delivered within a couple of days by tracked delivery and it fits comfortably, has good adjustment and a flashing LED light on the rear for safety.

They still have a selection of similar helmets available.

Reactions: SteveRuss

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hubby and me have just bought helmets on eBay which I think are good value, here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321802565575?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I have checked and they are indeed selling for the £59.99 rrp online so £10 including delivery is superb value.

The helmet was delivered within a couple of days by tracked delivery and it fits comfortably, has good adjustment and a flashing LED light on the rear for safety.

They still have a selection of similar helmets available.
Those bug catchers are a bit chilly for winter riding. The link from John are cool dudes helmets, I have similar ones a snug summer one and a looser fitting winter/cold weather one which I use with a beanie hat inside, also the side bits keep your ears nice and warm.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't let the weather stop you unless of course it is stair rodding, If the snow and ice arrives I will be out to enjoy the riding esp with the studded tyres now fitted for winter. I find the traditional cycle helmets look ungainly sitting on top to me they just don't look or sit right so the cool dudes style that skate/snow borders use looks much better but that's my preference. On the other hand there is always SW's star wars look.

Reactions: soundwave

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Don't let the weather stop you unless of course it is stair rodding, If the snow and ice arrives I will be out to enjoy the riding esp with the studded tyres now fitted for winter. I find the traditional cycle helmets look ungainly sitting on top to me they just don't look or sit right so the cool dudes style that skate/snow borders use looks much better but that's my preference. On the other hand there is always SW's star wars look.
You tend not to get so hot with a pedelec so that much ventilation isn’t needed either. In winter it can be a positive drawback too.

I use a BMX/skateboard type helmet now, and although I used to wear the trad cycle helmet, and needed the ventilation on my road bikes, I always thought they were a style disaster.