Help! Help i need help with my seat

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
So my bike has a bbshd the problem is that my seat doesn't go fully down well it does but I would like to make go down more as I can't reach the floor and feel really uncomfortable when ridding is there anything I can do to the seat tube or seat post ?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Almost certainly nothing to do to the seat tube.

If its not suspension it should be cheap to replace the seat post with a shorter one; or even to cut down the old one. If you've got a local community bike hub they may swap a short one for your longer one. That'll only help if it is the length of the seatpost that is stopping the saddle going any lower.

If it's suspension it will be more expensive to replace with another suspension. Also, most suspension seatposts still leave a significant saddle height over seat tube even at their lowest.

Depending on the saddle and saddle rail support you can sometimes hang with the saddle rails 'upside down' and save an inch or two in height. Some rails make that impossible, or for a low saddle it can mean the top of the seatpost meets the underside of the saddle, very uncomfortable.

Once you are comfortable with it you are probably best off cycling with saddle height so you can only get one foot on the ground at once. Otherwise you won't be extending your legs/knees at their most efficient while pedalling.

from https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/37583/can-a-saddle-clamp-be-upside-down-on-a-childrens-bike

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Almost certainly nothing to do to the seat tube.

If its not suspension it should be cheap to replace the seat post with a shorter one; or even to cut down the old one. If you've got a local community bike hub they may swap a short one for your longer one. That'll only help if it is the length of the seatpost that is stopping the saddle going any lower.

If it's suspension it will be more expensive to replace with another suspension. Also, most suspension seatposts still leave a significant saddle height over seat tube even at their lowest.

Depending on the saddle and saddle rail support you can sometimes hang with the saddle rails 'upside down' and save an inch or two in height. Some rails make that impossible, or for a low saddle it can mean the top of the seatpost meets the underside of the saddle, very uncomfortable.

Once you are comfortable with it you are probably best off cycling with saddle height so you can only get one foot on the ground at once. Otherwise you won't be extending your legs/knees at their most efficient while pedalling.

from https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/37583/can-a-saddle-clamp-be-upside-down-on-a-childrens-bike

View attachment 46278
What's the lowest mm can I get for a 31.6 seat post

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Shortest I can see is the rather odd (for BMX) 200mm one, but it would need a shim for 31.6mm tube.

250mm one at
300mm at

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
Providing yours is a plain seat post (not a suspension one with a spring inside it) and it is bottoming out in the frame (maybe on a water bottle rivnut) then just hacksaw some off the bottom of the seat post