Help - too many punctures

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
After my 10th puncture fix in the 1200 miles I have done since taking up cycling, I thought I would search for some solutions. And on one particular forum guys were talking about one puncture every 3000 miles or so. Even if I discount the last two since they were done with a hatpin while the bike was on the car rack :rolleyes:, one every couple of hundred miles must indicate something wrong.
The tyres are what came fitted to the Carrera Crossfuse from new. They are Scwalbe Tyrago Active K-guard3. Some of the time I have used slime filled inner tubes but that hasn't stopped the plague. I ride on a mix of roads and gravel tracks.
I'm dreading when the hawthorn hedges near me get cut as the crows pick all the bits up and drop them directly on my path.
Any ideas?
Mike

D

Deleted member 128

After my 10th puncture fix in the 1200 miles I have done since taking up cycling, I thought I would search for some solutions. And on one particular forum guys were talking about one puncture every 3000 miles or so. Even if I discount the last two since they were done with a hatpin while the bike was on the car rack :rolleyes:, one every couple of hundred miles must indicate something wrong.
The tyres are what came fitted to the Carrera Crossfuse from new. They are Scwalbe Tyrago Active K-guard3. Some of the time I have used slime filled inner tubes but that hasn't stopped the plague. I ride on a mix of roads and gravel tracks.
I'm dreading when the hawthorn hedges near me get cut as the crows pick all the bits up and drop them directly on my path.
Any ideas?
Mike
Is this effecting both tyres?

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
yes both tyres 50/50 I'd say
Are tubeless tyres tougher?
Mike

NI Phil

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2018
A few years ago I and the others I cycled with had a spate of punctures. Halfords then had a sale on Gatorskins so five of us bought them - Not one puncture in the ensuing two years between us. I run my two main road bikes tubeless - it does seem to be the way forward to me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The puncture resistance of tyres varies tremendously. One bike I had with Maxxis tyres was a magnet for punctures, soon lost count of how many. But on nearly four years of riding Kenda puncture resistant tyres in two different sizes I didn't suffer one puncture.

And in several years of riding on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on two bikes, only one puncture. That was my fault for riding over freshly cut blackthorn, assuming I'd be ok, and even then it was so slow a puncture that one pump up got me the seven miles back home.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
That level of puncture protection is quite low on Schwalbe's protection level list.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2430

Go for Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, which have Smart Guard protection. I've used them for thousands of miles with no punctures.
Thanks - in my ignorance I assumed k-guard 3 was top notch puncture protection but in truth is seems like the minimum :rolleyes:. I will do some thinking about tubeless - but if you are out in the country and DO get a puncture, isn't it a longer and less sure fix (in that spotting the hole may be tricky, and you may miss others?). Would save me carrying the 6 spare inner tubes though :D)
Mike

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
I fitted Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres a while ago, and they have worked well. I use OKO sealant, which is about £9 for a big bottle on EBay. That has worked well for me on numerous occasions. I use my bike every day for work, so I can do without punctures. There is always broken glass around here, thanks to the idiots, and a few hawthorn hedges.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I fitted Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres a while ago, and they have worked well. I use OKO sealant, which is about £9 for a big bottle on EBay.
I had the Land Cruisers on for a while, but suffered a couple of punctures. Mind you, the tyre sealant probably helps in your case.

I forgot to mention in post #7, that I also use Slime filled inner tubes. I think that Marathon Plus and Slime make a great partnership in the prevention of punctures.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Marathon Plus are certainly the ones to go for to avoid punctures: after a couple of punctures a week on my commute I fitted Plus. 3 more years commuting and 11 years retired, still none. Just time to replace the back one after 10000 miles or a bit more. Added to my wife's bike (10 years?), the tandem (4 years?) and my son's (8 years?) ... 1 puncture for my son.

There are issues. Quite a hard and sluggish ride, and very slippery on sideways sloping mud. And for some reason, the 700c rim that came with my Woosh XF07 kit does not like the Plus tyres.

Never liked slime. The only time I used it I got a puncture pretty soon after ... slime everywhere that made it impossible to mend the puncture.

• Agree
Reactions: oriteroom and flecc

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Marathon Plus are certainly the ones to go for to avoid punctures: after a couple of punctures a week on my commute I fitted Plus. 3 more years commuting and 11 years retired, still none. Just time to replace the back one after 10000 miles or a bit more. Added to my wife's bike (10 years?), the tandem (4 years?) and my son's (8 years?) ... 1 puncture for my son.

There are issues. Quite a hard and sluggish ride, and very slippery on sideways sloping mud. And for some reason, the 700c rim that came with my Woosh XF07 kit does not like the Plus tyres.

Never liked slime. The only time I used it I got a puncture pretty soon after ... slime everywhere that made it impossible to mend the puncture.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I used the old fashioned way, after riding over hawthorn cuttings. Tyre liners then cut the old inner tube lengthways & slip over the new tube. 4 years with no more punctures. With my replacement bike I fitted Marathon Plus from new.

Reactions: flecc

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Before anyone suggests solid tyres e.g. Tannus tyres sold in UK, I have these on a non electric hybrid and obviously they will totally eliminate punctures.

On the minus side, they are expensive, just under £150 fitted by a pro bike shop, have a significant drag, much more than they say and are prone to a slight wriggle/ instability in tight corners, especially at speed. The inability to adjust their firmness/softness to terrain is a pain.
They are very difficult to fit successfully unless the bike shop has a powered fitting jig and they can only be cut off if you change your mind.

Would I recommend them? NO - (Shudder) I would only consider them for a pure commuting bike where arrival time is critical.

I would go with Marathon Plus and Marathons if your rims are too wide.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've seen several reports that solid tyres prevent punctures, but more than make up for it with the even greater irritation of broken spokes.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Any ideas?
Mike
Armoured tyres are best, but an old tyre can be used by cutting a piece out(as it need to "fit" a shorter distance) and placing it inside the normal tyre, between the inner tube and the tyre profile.
But your problems are maybe of your own making, not finding a thorn, hidden in the tyre, that only "touches" the inner tube when riding....the old tyre method from above, will fix that too!
Or you are not pumping the tyres up fully and there is too much rubbing!
There are probably more reasons too that I have not even heard of!! Like rubbish quality tubes, or you have a tube that is too big and its getting wrinkles.....
regards
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i run tubeless and Schwalbe super gravity tyres front and rear and never had a flat ;)

Reactions: E-Wheels

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Armoured tyres are best, but an old tyre can be used by cutting a piece out(as it need to "fit" a shorter distance) and placing it inside the normal tyre, between the inner tube and the tyre profile.
But your problems are maybe of your own making, not finding a thorn, hidden in the tyre, that only "touches" the inner tube when riding....the old tyre method from above, will fix that too!
Or you are not pumping the tyres up fully and there is too much rubbing!
There are probably more reasons too that I have not even heard of!! Like rubbish quality tubes, or you have a tube that is too big and its getting wrinkles.....
regards
Andy
That last point Andy might have some relevance. I keep getting new tubes from Halfords and ask for those suitable for the Crossfuse, and they seem to give me different sizes every time. The tyres are I believe 700C 35 so what inner tube size is the best to buy for those. And the Marathon Plus tyres seem to come in 700C by 35 and 700C by 40 so I'm guessing I order the former?
Mike

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Those Schwalbe Tyragos are rubbish had them on my boardman mx comp. Schwalbe marathons or energisers are a great balance between great grip and low rolling resistance and great puncture resistance