Help! Which bike for 6 mile hilly commute

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Another forum member Artstu also tried that bike and after bought a Macina Bold,interesting his experiences after purchase?
I went on to buy a Macina Cross, as I found the forks a little harsh on the Bold. I'm still very happy with my bike, I've done around 6,000 miles on it.

To the OP can you show us the route you need to take, miss off the start and end if you want to keep some anonymity, this could help in the choice of bike you require.

https://www.strava.com/routes

Reactions: Scott clarke

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Croxden.....I think I remember you at the event,bright yellow cycling top if I remember correctly. You were the person who made me stop and think about crank drive,in particular the Bosch motor. Correct me if I am wrong but you were not impressed in the way the Bosch performed on a hill?
No yellow top Dave, I was the one going on about the new NuVinci 360 drive. You had the previous heavy model in your mind and thought I from another planet. Not far wrong perhaps.

I had changing gear problems at first but adapted rapidly, I liked how it performed on the hill, it made it feel like a normal bike but with assistance just howl I like it. Not being force fed the power that some manage.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Croxden....apologies,wrong guy. We looked at the Nuvinci hub and have fitted it to an option on our Kudos Eiger bike ( TCM crank drive)it has its advantages over dérailleur or the Nexus hub.
The TCM crank drive combined with dérailleur gears is a cheap combination,experienced cyclists find the combination ok provided they have the cycling knowledge of how to perform uphill downshifts.
The TCM crank drive plus Nuvinci offers super smooth gear changes,it is liked by those who hate dérailleur,it is an expensive gear and for that reason alone will probably be not widely used. You are correct that the later model Nuvinci is so much better than the first offering,much lighter,less drag,less cost.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you are regurgitating umpteen times that gear shift under load. Thousands of users with the Tonaros and 8-Fun BBS kits have no problem with shifting gears, you just blip the brakes if you want to cut the power while you are shifting under load, it works just as well as a gear sensor. Compare the unpleasantness of the chain whipping against the cog for a second when you forget to cut the motor when changing gear with the constant whine of a hub geared motor climbing a hill, I know which one I prefer.

Reactions: rippedupno1