Hi all

Fungadel Moke

Just Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Evening everybody, I'm new to this page and really just have a few general questions.

I will be picking up my vengeance 2.1 e bike in the next couple days, I will be using the bike to commute to and from work.
The bike will be left in the bike shed at work, I understand I should remove the battery when I lock by bike up, but then what should I do to protect the mount/connectors? given that it rains pretty much non stop in Britain.

I was also wandering if it is possible to get more speed out of it, and also add a throttle and if there is anywhere I could take my bike for this to be done (I'm guessing not as its obviously not legal), as I'm not very savvy when it comes to these things. (If this bit is inappropriate I apologise in advance)

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
options range from a carrier bag and elastic band all the way up to an elasticated waterproof day bag cover, or even a silly priced battery cover..

If its a new bike i would consider holding off any modification plans for a few months and perhaps even the whole warranty period, as most if not all 'fixes' would be spotted if ever submitted for a warranty claim.. Raising questions and probably voiding any warranties?

So consider if you value the warranty first..

If determined.. im sure there is a way even if it involves a complete controller/display replacement and rewire(£80-100 for bits ) but not being familiar with your bike myself I cant say if there is a less intrusive option.

oh dont forget you can always pedal faster and use gravity downhill.. ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Evening everybody, I'm new to this page and really just have a few general questions.

I will be picking up my vengeance 2.1 e bike in the next couple days, I will be using the bike to commute to and from work.
The bike will be left in the bike shed at work, I understand I should remove the battery when I lock by bike up, but then what should I do to protect the mount/connectors? given that it rains pretty much non stop in Britain.

I was also wandering if it is possible to get more speed out of it, and also add a throttle and if there is anywhere I could take my bike for this to be done (I'm guessing not as its obviously not legal), as I'm not very savvy when it comes to these things. (If this bit is inappropriate I apologise in advance)
I don't think I'd bother taking the battery off if you park it in a private bike rack. Instead, I'd just strap a plastic carrier bag or bin bag over the whole battery area to stop water getting in.

If you want to go faster, you bought the wrong bike, so cancel now if you can. Most of the standard Chinese bikes that you buy on Amazon and Ebay for a lot less can be derestricted fairly easily without extra cost. The bikes are a lot cheaper, more reliable and go just as well.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If you want to go faster, you bought the wrong bike, so cancel now if you can. Most of the standard Chinese bikes that you buy on Amazon and Ebay for a lot less can be derestricted fairly easily without extra cost. The bikes are a lot cheaper, more reliable and go just as well.
more likely to burst into flames as well, killing the entire family and burning down the house :) Especially if you are willing to bu66er about with the electrics with little or no knowledge of what you're doing.

Yup, you cant beat an untested cheapo Chinese import.

Fungadel Moke

Just Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Thanks for all of your responses, much appreciated folks.
I will be investing in a couple of bin bags and elastic bands.

Yeah definitely not trying to have my bike go up in flames so I wouldn't be carrying out any modifications myself...

Don't we all want to go just a little faster?
Thanks again guys.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for all of your responses, much appreciated folks.
I will be investing in a couple of bin bags and elastic bands.

Yeah definitely not trying to have my bike go up in flames so I wouldn't be carrying out any modifications myself...

Thanks again guys.
Doing such modifications won't make your bike go up in flames, nor would a typical Chinese bike burn. You only get this hysteria from people, who don't have a clue about these matters. I've been on this forum for 14 years, and people have been de-restricting and modifying all that time. There has not been a single instance of somebody's bike catching fire.

There have been three recalls on prestige brands due to risk and occurrence of fires. That's more than there have been from Chinese ones, and it's not because prestige brands are more caring. Recalls normally happen after an incident and an investigation by trading standards.

Releasing the speed limit on most bikes has no detrimental effect on the bike. In fact, you could argue that it's safer for the electrics on most of them.

Releasing the speed limit makes the bike illegal to use on the road or any public right of way. That's the main risk.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
There have been three recalls on prestige brands due to risk and occurrence of fires.
I can remember only one, Specialized I think it was. something about one group of batteries and a recall went out. That was what 10, 12 years ago ?.

You'll have to link/remind me of what the other 2 were.

As to cheap imports going up in flames, 10 seconds of googling brings up lots, from the result of a simple house fire to the worst of fatalities. 2023 in the UK alone lists over 50. And I'll wager there was not a single 'prestige' in amongst them.

And of course thats just the UK, which while there is strong interest in them, its nothing like Europe, the US or the far east, which im pretty sure would bring up hundreds if not thousands of cases worldwide.

Over the last 4 or 5 years there has been an explosion(not a pun) of companies forming to import and sell cheap imported bikes. Companies run by those who have no background in the bike industry, and many of them appear to go bankrupt within a couple of years.

A new bike shop has opened up near me. It is basically an empty unit, devoid of even a mechanics station, and just a smattering of identical ebikes and a counter with till. I really doubt the owner and staff know anything about the bike theyre selling.

It reminds me in fact of those xmas or firework shops that pop up at that time of year, then disappear a couple of months on, having sold their imported stock.
Quick profit. f*** the customer over for the money in their pocket.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I can remember only one, Specialized I think it was. something about one group of batteries and a recall went out. That was what 10, 12 years ago ?.

You'll have to link/remind me of what the other 2 were.

As to cheap imports going up in flames, 10 seconds of googling brings up lots, from the result of a simple house fire to the worst of fatalities. 2023 in the UK alone lists over 50. And I'll wager there was not a single 'prestige' in amongst them.

And of course thats just the UK, which while there is strong interest in them, its nothing like Europe, the US or the far east, which im pretty sure would bring up hundreds if not thousands of cases worldwide.

Over the last 4 or 5 years there has been an explosion(not a pun) of companies forming to import and sell cheap imported bikes. Companies run by those who have no background in the bike industry, and many of them appear to go bankrupt within a couple of years.

A new bike shop has opened up near me. It is basically an empty unit, devoid of even a mechanics station, and just a smattering of identical ebikes and a counter with till. I really doubt the owner and staff know anything about the bike theyre selling.

It reminds me in fact of those xmas or firework shops that pop up at that time of year, then disappear a couple of months on, having sold their imported stock.
Quick profit. f*** the customer over for the money in their pocket.
Brompton and Cube

Instead of getting hysterical, just give one example from any of the 12,000 forum members, very many of whom did derestrictions and power modifications, of a bike or battery that caught fire and the reason for it.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Brompton and Cube

Instead of getting hysterical, just give one example from any of the 12,000 forum members, very many of whom did derestrictions and power modifications, of a bike or battery that caught fire and the reason for it.
Well thats a stupid question. How can anyone who hasnt access to a coroners report meant to supply such evidence.

This place hasnt got 12000 current members. Oh right i see, you're including everyone who joined, hasnt posted or posted once and never returned. Again more nonsense.

Brompton - minor, certainly no fire risk
Cube - One recall due to overheating, but no deaths or injuries caused. Unlike cheapo system you champion.

Do you want me to list links to actual fires caused by conversions ?

How about this old chap. Managed to live to 74 and died because he bought a cheap converted type. Who knows, he might have even come here and had someone like yourself tell him theyre just as good as any prestige brand.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: StuartsProjects

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thanks again guys.
My inner boy racer refuses to age with the rest of me so YES!! for sure!! But.. and for me at least the 'buts' win out..

And my initial reaction to the realities of a regulated ebike compared to my expectations on completing my conversion was confusion primarily, i mean every other vehicle i had ever used was fine with an accelerator/speed controller.. The stepped speed control approach of most ebike pas systems takes a bit of getting used to..

But its a just brief period of adjustment, and only takes a few rides to become familiar and comfortable with.

Reactions: flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well thats a stupid question. How can anyone who hasnt access to a coroners report meant to supply such evidence.

This place hasnt got 12000 current members. Oh right i see, you're including everyone who joined, hasnt posted or posted once and never returned. Again more nonsense.

Brompton - minor, certainly no fire risk
Cube - One recall due to overheating, but no deaths or injuries caused. Unlike cheapo system you champion.

Do you want me to list links to actual fires caused by conversions ?

How about this old chap. Managed to live to 74 and died because he bought a cheap converted type. Who knows, he might have even come here and had someone like yourself tell him theyre just as good as any prestige brand.
In other words none reported from 300,000 posts by 12,000 members.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks like a shitmano motor on a canyon must have had a firmware update as over 2 years old and told to self destruct :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
As far as we could tell everything on the bike i.e. charger and battery were the original as often cheaper batteries or different chargers are often the cause."
chargers go faulty so does the bms no matter what brand or how much you pay giant batts were getting bricked a couple of years ago because was getting over charged + giant cracks in there frames that took a year to replace.

i charge my batts in my bed room and have done for over ten years now and have never charged the batt on my bike or put a batt on charge and go to sleep esp 18650 cells.