Hi all

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This was the latest one

BBC News - Fire in Tavistock garage caused by e-bike being charged

View attachment 56256

Think that is mid drive, not a conversion ?
Definitely a Shimano motor, but the weird thing is it seems to be two separate crank-drive bikes. You can see the chain and derailleur on the right, but there's another chain driving a sprocket on the left, and on the right end of that chain is another set of cranks, but where are the front wheels and forks?

Edit: second photo shows two bikes with no fronts.

We have no idea what caused the fire. It could be that the guy damaged the charge cable or bashed the battery on a rock or anything like that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fox fork lowers are made from magnesium so if they used water to put it out it just made it worse

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
This place hasnt got 12000 current members.
Indeed, I do wonder what the real number of actual active members, who post on a regular basis is, maybe a couple of hundread ?

Also as far as I know there is no enforced legal compulsion for 'members' who may seek advice on here to post when things go wrong.

So just because Joe Bloggs or Jane Doe does not or has not posted on this forum that their bike\battery has burnt down their house is of very little statistical significance.

But rather than try to minismise the potential occurance of ebike or their battery fires, what are the real figures, as in how many eBikes are there in the UK (in regular use) and how many fires are there ?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
^Firefighters confirmed the garage was 70% damaged by smoke and 40% damaged by fire.^

110% of damage? It must have been pretty bad.
10% was damaged by both smoke and fire?

I'm glad I don't have one of those 20% more dangerous flaming pre-assembled bikes.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
fox fork lowers are made from magnesium so if they used water to put it out it just made it worse
Good point. The lithium battery would burn hot enough to ignite the magnesiun, which would make an even worse fire. I guess the same could happen to an electric car with magnesium wheels.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
10% was damaged by both smoke and fire?

I'm glad I don't have one of those 20% more dangerous pre-assembled bikes.
This fire with two OEM bikes swings the results from 60/40 to 61/39 in OEM/kit bike fires, so conversions are now even safer.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why cant they make batt casings out of titanium ? because corporations dont care its all about the profit.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
In other words none reported from 300,000 posts by 12,000 members.
12,000 members ? I've only seen about a dozen posting regularly. Unless you basing it on any and everyone who has ever joined or joined and never posted.

But anyway, I've seen a number of posts on here linking to ebike fires. Did you miss them ?.

Either way, it doesnt matter if reported here or not, this isnt the epitomy of truth concerning ebike fires. didnt get reported to Saneagle personally on pedelecs, then it cant of happened
Think that is mid drive, not a conversion ?
Looks like it, only near impossible to tell wtf is going on. and whats going on on the front of that bike ? if it is the front, there is what looks like a chain. A bike with 2 rear hubs ?. how can that be.
The thing at the front looks to be a hub motor.
So is this a case of the hub motor bike was the seat of the fire and it took out that poor defenseless mid drive.
looks like a shitmano motor on a canyon must have had a firmware update as over 2 years old and told to self destruct
Shimano ? that explains everything.

Also charging at 5am. overnight and unsupervised is never a good thing be it an ebike or an anything.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
m8 has a 2019 canyon with a shitmano motor and wont even sell him a new one for 1k warranty replacements only.

just make sure the insurance covers fires and when the warranty ends set fire to it and learn the lesson ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looks like it, only near impossible to tell wtf is going on. and whats going on on the front of that bike ? if it is the front, there is what looks like a chain. A bike with 2 rear hubs ?. how can that be.
So is this a case of the hub motor bike was the seat of the fire and it took out that poor defenseless mid drive.
Looking at this clearer photo, rear remains of a mid drive and a non-ebike.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats the same bike my m8 has got the rear triangle is alu and those wheels are total crap

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Another clearer pic. Do the BBC pay their self-employed reporters by number of words? They should pay more IMHO, because as usual there's scant detail. We can't rely on quotes from firemen, they're recruited from the same gene pool as cops.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
thats the same bike my m8 has got the rear triangle is alu and those wheels are total crap
Hey you're right! Send him a pic, looks like he sleeps too much.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i told him to fkn sell it :rolleyes:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Either way, it doesnt matter if reported here or not, this isnt the epitomy of truth concerning ebike fires. didnt get reported to Saneagle personally on pedelecs, then it cant of happened
I've read just about every post on the forum for the last 14 years. Flecc has read even more. Ask him then.
They were both high end mid-drive bikes with magnesium forks. The battery burnt so hot (>2000deg.) that it ignited the magnesium (644deg. ign temp) to make an even worse fire that vaporised the fronts of both bikes.

Complete BS.