Help! Hi i need help with my bbshd

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any hollow tech 11 bottom bracket spacer should work for a BBS.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Any hollow tech 11 bottom bracket spacer should work for a BBS.

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
Been busy all day fettling my BBSHD to fit my frame! Did you try loosening the bottom bracket nut to see if that frees it up?

I am an engineer by trade and have built several kit cars in the past so I’m comfortable with this stuff. Do you have anyone like that in your circle of friends who can help you?

I’ll post some pics of mine later

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
So here you can see I can slide a piece of paper freely between the main gear casing and the frame rear chainstay. This is with the bottom bracket fully torqued up to 60nm. I have a 5mm spacer between the motor and the bottom bracket and I have filed away some of the motor casing so I can get it in closer to the frame. Be careful doing this, I measured the wall thickness of the casing so I could be sure I wouldn’t go right through.

The other close-up is of my chainwheel, it’s about 3mm from the chainstay. This is perfect and has taken me a lot of work (and money!) to achieve. The chain line is in line with the centre of the cassette so I should be able to get all gears and not have my chain come off. I used a bling-ring HD Pro 40t to achieve this. Expensive but nicely made.

In order to get both lock rings and the anti rotation bracket on the other side I have had to slice 5mm off the other side of my bottom bracket. This has taken me ages to do today keeping the faces parallel. Should have taken it to a bike shop to use their refacing tool!

I also bought sockets for both lock rings from Faster Bikes as I wanted to torque them up properly.

So I’ve taken my time and given a lot of thought to my install but happy with the end result.

Attachments

Reactions: guerney

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Been busy all day fettling my BBSHD to fit my frame! Did you try loosening the bottom bracket nut to see if that frees it up?

I am an engineer by trade and have built several kit cars in the past so I’m comfortable with this stuff. Do you have anyone like that in your circle of friends who can help you?

I’ll post some pics of mine later
You know when you said bottom bracket nut what do you mean by this ? Do you mean the silver lock nut or the black bafang lock nut? Or the one that grabs on to the bikes bb

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
all of those! Loosen it all off so the motor is loose. Can you then turn the pedals freely?

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
all of those! Loosen it all off so the motor is loose. Can you then turn the pedals freely?
Hi I took bike chain off and it works perfectly but when I put the chain there's a lot of resistance when pedaling so i feel like theres a problem with the cassette maybe because I bought a new 116 chain I'm so confused why this is happening

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I can pedal backwards with the chain on and with the chain off but I feel like it's either the chain needs maybe another link or it's either the cassette because when I took the chain off and I pedaled with 0 assistance it was so easy to pedal and I tried every pas level and it seemed to work without any problems but as soon as I added the chain the pedals became very resistance can't pedal forward but can pedal backwards

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
Is it the same in all gears on your rear cassette? Are you testing it with the rear wheel off the ground? Can you spin the wheel freely (brakes aren’t binding) ?

Sounds odd.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
could be the bearings in the free hub body are shot or the cassette is way to tight.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I think its my chain problem as my chain is a bit to tight which I realised after I've got a 116 link I'll maybe need a 120 incase can someone find me a 120 link chain for a 8 speed cassette

And a 46t bling chainring
And a short 31.6mm with maybe 160mm or 100mm length as I want my seat to be flushed inside the seat frame

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Easiest way to get the chain length correct it to remove it from the derailleur and simply wrap it around the biggest chain ring and biggest rear sprocket the ends should meet with a max of two links over lap.

Cut down your seat post if it is a generic non suspension one.