Hiding Lipo Batteries

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I am thinking of a large saddle type bag to hide 2x 5s lipo's, or even 2x 6s lipos if possible. Has anyone tried it and found one strong/secure enough and large enough for them with some padding ? My controller is probably going in a small box within the frame so that won't be a problem.
Something like this -
QUICK CX 3.png

D

Deleted member 4366

You can probably fit one in each side of those little pannier things that go over the front of your crossbar with a compartment for your phone on top. You can find them on Ebay if you search for panniers. Look at item number 271596765634 to see what I mean

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks d8veh, they look good, I'm going to give one a try.
I'm thinking of leaving the batteries inside and removing the
whole thing as a pack for charging.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I hide my lipos in a crossbar pannier.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Not sure the size bag you require but take a look at the topeak dynapack range that hover above your back wheel. I have used one for a while on my normal bike. Looks lovely, built well and the smaller one can hold 4.5kg and the larger 9kg.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Not sure the size bag you require but take a look at the topeak dynapack range that hover above your back wheel. I have used one for a while on my normal bike. Looks lovely, built well and the smaller one can hold 4.5kg and the larger 9kg.
That looks a nice solution too, however when searching for info on the Dynapack range I stumbled across the Topeak Mondopack which looks pretty much exactly what I've been looking for and I'm sure it's the right size for my small battery I'm making.
Fantastic, thanks all.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-TC2285B-MondoPack-2015/dp/B004GLAA3G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425495215&sr=8-2&keywords=mondopack

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
My first idea fits a 10s 6ah battery quite well.It's a Topeak MondopackXL
IMAG0052.jpg

This is the battery I knocked up from 2x2s and a 6s, wrapped in packaging foam then ducktaped and a handle strap off a box of washing powder taped on.IMAG0050.jpg
When I next need a battery I will be trying the crossbar pannier bag with 2x5s 5.8a batteries in.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've tended to keep my batteries in standard looking pannier bags, to keep them as unobtrusive as possible.

On my Trance, the full sus frame didn't have enough room for the 48v pack, so I made a lightweight rigid backplate for the pannier bag, which carries the controller as well.

All nicely hidden away, yet still locked to the carrier with bolts through the back of the bag. Yet the battery bracket's integral locking mechanism still allows quick removal via the key for charging purposes.

Attachments

Reactions: handbaked

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
I had 2 zippy 6s 8000 Ah lipos in a Roswheel toptube pannier bag they are a snug fit with little room for padding.They are quite handy placed to unzip the pouch and check the battery alarms tho, I cut the phone pouch off and replaced it with a larger roswheel phone pouch I had.This has a useful storage pocket underneath the phone for keys choc bars etc.
When I have my rack fitted on bike I use a pair of swiss army ammo bags these are very stong construction and my lipos sit in a lipo fire bag.A square bottle battery like you have shown will just about fit in these ammo bags but prob not with the controller and base locking plate you had attatched.
20141219_120550~2(2).jpg 20141219_120513(1).jpg 20141020_103915(5).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: awol