High mileage

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine is bosch but i run a dongle so half speed and half mileage over 15mph on the lcd.
range depends on what mode is used but with my 500w batt i have gone 43 miles with one bar left, in turbo flat out 20-25 miles.
DSC_0659_04.JPG

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
15'000+ using a mix of an MXUS xf07 and a Bafang CST and both still going. 20 miles a day all weathers for nearly 4 years now. Only have proof up to 13'000 as my LCD died shortly after I took that pic (see avatar), then went 6 months or so without an LCD and now my new LCD has 1400 miles on it. I have had to do the odd service though change bearings, clean and renew grease etc but generally these motors have proved to be more reliable than I had ever expected.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
My first bike, a Woosh Santana, did 5000 miles in two years. My work was 3 miles away. My current bike, built with a Panda EBikes kit, has done 5900 miles in just over two years. I am now doing 26 miles some days, other days perhaps 16 miles, as I changed jobs. My new battery from Insat is doing well, and I know I can get through a day if fully charged. It's good to know that people are actually using their bikes.

Reactions: mountainsport

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Q128c 498 miles.
Bafang bpm 1982 miles & one side plate bearing.
Bafang BBS01 2618 miles.
Bafang CST 2783 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Ahhh good point... I imagine he drove in occasionally...

That reminds me of a story...

I was at a show about 5 years ago and a fine old gentleman came onto the stand, announced that he had and ebike already but enquired after the range of ours. After enquiring whether he lived near any steep hills, he informed me he lived on top of one. I suggested that a 10Ah battery would comfortably take him between 20 and 30 miles.

RUBBISH he retorted! Mine does at least 100. Baffled and trying not to get into an argument, I asked how often and where he rode his bike. He told me he rode the bike 3 miles a day down to the village to see his brother. He went on to tell me that he had done the journey at least 30 times and he still had half a charge left. Impressed, I pushed for more information. How do you find the hill on the way home I asked?

He replied, hill? No... it's much to steep for me, my brother puts the bike onto the back of his landcover and drives me home!!

Boom boom!

True story...

All the best, David
No! David i'm sorry, but fake news :D

MS.

• :D
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Carrera Crossfire-e , just under a year old, 2,800 miles

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My 2015 Haibike sDuro has 6612 miles, but the first motor was replaced under warranty free of charge at the two year point (actually just after two years) at around 6000 miles. The main bearing had developed play so that when you pushed and pulled the crank arm opposite the chain ring you could see that the chain ring moved more than it should. The new motor has 1200 miles on it so far.

I am sure that a bearing could be replaced but I was more than happy to get a brand new motor. Ebike shop in Farnham where I bought my bike gave me great customer service and have whenever I have needed them and illustrate what a difference it makes when the shop you bought your bike from keeps looking after you down the line.

Ebikeshop Farnham is also only 10 miles from me which makes it easy to drop my bike to them and then get it back. I have to say that their turn around time in dealing with any problem I have taken to them has been mightily impressive with the bike ready very quickly.

My own take on how long the motor lasts is what milage you reach before you have to spend your own money mending or replacing the motor.

Hopefully for me that should not be before the four year mark and 12,000 miles. all be it on my second motor but we will see.

I do not give my bike an easy ride as my commute to work is normally 16 miles cross country loaded with me 100kg and two full panniers before a 10 mile road blast home.

My other bike is a 2011 Oxygen emate city and I also had the motor replaced on this bike free of charge by Oxygen before the end of the two year warranty when it developed a problem.

As the emate city is no longer made I bought a couple of spar motor wheels off Oxygen for I think £120 for the pair, to future proof the bike. Probably overkill as that second motor is still going strong and the motor wheels are sitting on a shelf in the garage. The Oxygen does not have a computer that records the total milage so I have to guess how far it has gone. However it has to be around 13.000 miles since I bought it, and I have two spar motor wheels to go.

I was knocked off my emate city by a car the driver of which fortunately did stop and admit liability and a witness also gave me their details. I pursued a personal injury claim using a lawyer provided by my Union at work and eventually received a £5500 pay out. As the lawyer had been provided by my Union I kept all the money with no deductions. The sDuro cost £1750 and the Oxygen £1400 so my 19612 miles have been quite cost effective so far although I would not recommend this method to pay for your bikes!

• :D
Reactions: JimRides

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Latest and still ongoing:
14,000 miles in 2 years with my leafmotor 1000W. Only 1 failure to date (hall sensor).

Previous:
2000 miles per BPM motor until they broke. All 3 had broken clutches

7000 miles on my mac motor until hall sensor failure

1500 miles on my bbs02 until it developped crank issue

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Total mileage is now over 26.5K, but that's over 3 kits. The current Thorn with Q100 and bottle battery from BMS has been going for nearly four years, so 15K at least.

I'm amazed at the (total) reliability I've enjoyed from cheap Chinese components. I've just given the battery the BGA treatment, wasn't essential, but I don't mind investing to maintain peak performance.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Anyone got any high mileage on a Bosch?
I've just been talking to a neighbour who was pottering around an a Scott Esub that he's had for a few weeks. What range do you get, I asked him. I haven't charged the battery yet, he replied, I spend most of the time with the motor switched off!
I've done around 10,000 miles on a Bosch classic, I've replaced the drive-side bearing twice now, although the second change wasn't really required.

I can't understand these riders who do that, and there are quite a lot out there who have this bizarre attitude.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My 2009 brompton did 10K miles (10 miles round trip to work most days) to 2016 on its Tongxin and I only changed it out because it got noisy. Retired now so its not used everyday.

My Konion DIY packs have done 3 years without a single loss cell. My A123s only lasted about a year before I began to loose cells. None of the packs had BMS's and the Konions have never needed balancing since I first build them.

The A123s did go out of ballance every few months or so.

Jerry

Last edited:

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've done around 10,000 miles on a Bosch classic, I've replaced the drive-side bearing twice now, although the second change wasn't really required.
I've just gone past 7,500 miles on my KTM Macina Action (Bosch Activeline) and have been told by a bike shop that the bearings are not in a good condition. They seem OK to me - there is a bit of rattle, but nothing terribly untoward.

Nevertheless, I am interested to know how you sourced and replaced your motor bearings. I understand from Onbike that Bosch don't supply internal motor parts - so did you just have to source them yourself? I wonder if they'd be available on the web, if one knew the exact size of bearing one was looking for...

Update: ooh, I found the bearings here - sadly from a supplier that will only sell to people who've bought a bike from them. Any ideas where else I might try?

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I can't understand these riders who do that, and there are quite a lot out there who have this bizarre attitude.
Probably see the motor as insurance if they come to a bad hill.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I've just gone past 7,500 miles on my KTM Macina Action (Bosch Activeline) and have been told by a bike shop that the bearings are not in a good condition. They seem OK to me - there is a bit of rattle, but nothing terribly untoward.

Nevertheless, I am interested to know how you sourced and replaced your motor bearings. I understand from Onbike that Bosch don't supply internal motor parts - so did you just have to source them yourself? I wonder if they'd be available on the web, if one knew the exact size of bearing one was looking for...

Update: ooh, I found the bearings here - sadly from a supplier that will only sell to people who've bought a bike from them. Any ideas where else I might try?
The drive side bearing on the newer Bosch motors with a small front sprocket is this one
according to this thread.

The bearing on the other side wasn't available for my Bosch Classic motor, so it is still running on the original bearing.

• Useful
Reactions: halfer

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Have you tried Magura? They are the Bosch main dealer in the U.K.
I haven't tried them, no - thanks for the tip, David :)

The drive side bearing on the newer Bosch motors with a small front sprocket is this one according to this thread.
Ooh, thanks. If the Magura route does not work out, I will see if I feel confident fishing the old bearing out, and if so, I will get one of those and try!

shep

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
12200 Mile on my Kalkhoff Agattu with Panasonic 26v Running perfectly, 8370 miles on my Wifes Kalkhoff Agattu with same motor. They were bought new in May 2011 and are still on the same 18ah batteries that are running fine. Cube Reaction with Bosch CX 242 miles but only 8 days old !!!!

Reactions: E-Chris