How bad could a (new) £90 trailer be? I've ordered a Homcom folding trailer

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I suddenly need a trailer ASAP! So I've just ordered one of these cheapo but apparently reasonably robust (steel tubing) bike Homcom trailers:

As usual, it's easier to find the product you want on Amazon, and then order for cheaper and/or with better payment protection from ebay.

It's about 3kg heavier than the Carry Freedom and not nearly as well made or strong - let's see how long this cheapo lasts! The weaknesses of this item seem to be that occasionally the welds aren't great, and the wheels are non-standard (or so I've read in Amazon reviews). But at just £90, if anything breaks it's cheap enough to simply buy another one, or buy a cheapo welding kit. Steel is easily recyclable. It's sole advantage over the Carry Freedom, is that the entire platform is a box, so I don't have to buy a separate big and very strong box, and securely mount it on to carry huge heavy dense pumpkins (they destroy most boxes).

Carrying such heavy loads (often 66kg each time) using bike pannier bags and rucksack (with weight resting on the back of the saddle), makes me worry about the fatiguing of my 16 year old aluminium bike frame. If the advertising is to be believed, this Homcom trailer should be good for 40kg cargoes (I hope). Must order a couple of spare inner tubes...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I expect it is up to the job.
Ah the rued chances of bagging a CF when one wasn't in a rush to do so :(.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I expect it is up to the job.
Ah the rued chances of bagging a CF when one wasn't in a rush to do so :(.
Lol yes, suddenly I have a lot of compost to move and no trailer! I couldn't have known that I'd suddenly get an offer of very rich compost from 8 miles away. I need it to build up the strawberry beds containing Mashmellos, the best tasting I've ever tried, and Raymond Blan's favourite - "Da von! Troo! Straw! Berreeee!" is what he calls Marshmellos. I'll still keep my eye open for a CF mind you, because when cycling season ends with the clement weather, they'll be up for grabs once again... just in time for the welds on this one to come apart.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's like anything, when you have it the need isn't needed and when one needs it you don't have it.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suddenly need a trailer ASAP! So I've just ordered one of these cheapo but apparently reasonably robust (steel tubing) bike Homcom trailers:

As usual, it's easier to find the product you want on Amazon, and then order for cheaper and/or with better payment protection from ebay.

It's about 3kg heavier than the Carry Freedom and not nearly as well made or strong - let's see how long this cheapo lasts! The weaknesses of this item seem to be that occasionally the welds aren't great, and the wheels are non-standard (or so I've read in Amazon reviews). But at just £90, if anything breaks it's cheap enough to simply buy another one, or buy a cheapo welding kit. Steel is easily recyclable. It's sole advantage over the Carry Freedom, is that the entire platform is a box, so I don't have to buy a separate big and very strong box, and securely mount it on to carry huge heavy dense pumpkins (they destroy most boxes).

Carrying such heavy loads (often 66kg each time) using bike pannier bags and rucksack (with weight resting on the back of the saddle), makes me worry about the fatiguing of my 16 year old aluminium bike frame. If the advertising is to be believed, this Homcom trailer should be good for 40kg cargoes (I hope). Must order a couple of spare inner tubes...
I recognise the design, the same Chinese company have been making these for years and they are perfectly ok. In fact I used one as the chassis for my huge bike trailer by removing all the superstructure and building a new body, floor and revised towbar on it, see below.

The chrome on the rims isn't best quality. One tip, turn the wheels round so their quick releases are inside facing each other and not tempting someone to nick the wheels.

My big trailer details on this link.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's like anything, when you have it the need isn't needed and when one needs it you don't have it.
Guerney wont see my reply since he took a dislike to me and put me on "Ignore" when he first joined. Obviously doesn't know all the information on many e-bike subjects he's missing !

He'll see it if it's quoted in a reply.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your trailer page flecc is a classic one to view, and a early adopter of an over size load carrier.
I recently wrote to WSSC waste management regarding using my set up to visit the local tip as I heard folks had been tuned away by viridor contract staff, I received the reply that no such policy is in place and I am indeed allowed to do so and there is no need to pre- book but to just turn up.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your trailer page flecc is a classic one to view, and a early adopter of an over size load carrier.
I recently wrote to WSSC waste management regarding using my set up to visit the local tip as I heard folks had been tuned away by viridor contract staff, I received the reply that no such policy is in place and I am indeed allowed to do so and there is no need to pre- book but to just turn up.
That's good to learn Neal. I've had the same impression in my area that the staff tend to make up rules to suit themselves. They never challenged my bike trailer use though.

Reactions: Nealh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I remember welding steel at school, far back in the dim distant reaches of time... I remember it like it were yesterday... Electricity hadn't been invented then, and it was all about strange white powders, sweary incantations and funny coloured flames. So I'm quite looking forward to the prospect of arc welding, but I might get carried away and start welding together "Art" - I'm thinking giant rusty steel pumpkin exhibit for the garden, made out of broken Homcom folding trailers.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You won a rare victory for the righteous there Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I looked today to see if there were any reference to to allowing bicycles/trailers in, but nothing to say no or no amendments yet . On the page referring to vehicles access only the following aren't permitted; horseboxes, tipper trucks, flat bed/drop side trucks & lutons.
I have my phone with the WS reply so there can be no dispute for me.

Reactions: guerney and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ha ha, some one taking the 'you know what'. Love it !!!
Good to see another bike trailer man.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The angle relative to the ground of the towing arm on your (is that your Homcom??!!? Brilliant!) larger wheeled bike is encouraging, because it looks like it might be approx level horizontal when attached to my 20" rear wheel, not acutely angled down. They say it'll arrive tomorrow, annoyingly as usual I have no idea when exactly - the's a big steaming pile of compost needing to be moved ASAP! Does it still work, 5 minutes after that photo was taken? I'm encouraged by the EXIF data of that photo, looks like you've had it at least since 4-7-2020 @Mars: Has your experience of this trailer been - - - -ty? Have you had to buy a welding kit yet?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ha ha, some one taking the 'you know what'. Love it !!!
Good to see another bike trailer man.
There's got to be more out there somewhere... surely bike trailer men are legion?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Nooo it's being delivered by Yodel! Which means that even if as tracking shows it's only 5 miles away, it could take days to get here, or it might be delivered today. I hate Yodel, I was really hoping it would be Parcelforce, which generally provide more predictable morning or early afternoon deliveries, and provide an actual delivery time period defined by a couple of hours. Blast, now I've got to watch my driveway using a security cam on my third PC monitor, so that I can intercept Yodel before they try to deliver it to my parcel-hostage taking neighbours. I hate Yodel.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Most uncharacteristically, Yodel have somehow managed to transport my new Homcom trailer 5 miles from it's regional distribution centre, within a day! Assembled fine, feels cheap and nasty but at least everything fits together (just). The wheels make faint clicking noises when turning, and they will need truinng... but other than that, it's ok so far. Inner tubes might be ok, I've just inflated them and wil check pressure in a few hours. I've weighed it using a digital luggage scale hung from a ceiling hook and it's 15.54kgs in total including the hitch, and air compressed to 40psi in the tyres.

It was convenient to finally weigh my converted bike too with all the extra bits plus the bbs01b... and without the battery it's 18.27kg, with the 19.2ah LG MH-1 battery it weighs 22.41kg, which isn't bad given that I've also added wider tyres, many lights, a horn, heavy but comfy saddle, wing mirrors, MK-1 pedals and loads of wiring and other stuff I can't recall just now.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The platform is plastic, otherwise I would gamble the steel frame is capable of bearing far heavier weight than 40kg. But the QR axles on my bike are not.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers