How did you find out about electric bikes?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Great Idea

The only viable avenue for further publicity that I can think of at present is the combining of marketing forces to advertise electric bikes in the more expensive media. One example would be for national advertising of the Presteigne fun event, paid for by a combine of the companies appearing there. That could attract a crowd in holiday mood.
I'm in! If any other ebike manufacturer would like to contact me maybe we can start something here. miall@aol.com

Best regards David

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
I think this would completely overwhelm Presteigne. Imagine 200 bikes charging around the streets or 100 descending on the Saturday afternoon cafe stop and cars everywhere.

The event itself would have to change to accommodate it - I would be interested in Pete Mustill's view but the present arrangements might only take up to double the capacity.

An event based on somewhere like Rutland Water might be better. They are used to big bike charity rides and future capacity might be much higher. If they did Autumn, then Presteigne can continue to evolve to its size in the Spring and the big one could be at Rutland. Rutland Cycling are predominant in the car parks for hiring bikes and they could probably be roped in to the event.

Even better might be a tour round some parts of London - that would make it easier for the crowds to see the bikes

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think this would completely overwhelm Presteigne. Imagine 200 bikes charging around the streets or 100 descending on the Saturday afternoon cafe stop and cars everywhere.

John
I agree that Presteigne is far from ideal for a larger event, but at the moment it's like so many cycling events, there for those already involved. effectively preaching to the converted. If e-biking is going to spread in popularity it has to be opened out to the general public much more than at present.

There are risks in doing that since it's impossible to know how few or how many will respond to any advertised event where there is no precedent, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Personally I think the risk of Presteigne being completely overwhelmed is low, given that its not exactly the most accessible of places.

Central London is only really practical for an event on a Sunday, and that would limit the prospective buyer audience considerably, tourists being many of those present. For an effective message spreading event, it's locations easily reached by car that are really needed, and London is far from ideal in that respect.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Even better might be a tour round some parts of London - that would make it easier for the crowds to see the bikes

John
OK there aren't as many hills in some parts of the region but why not "closer to home" (for us) in East Anglia? - a popular holiday destination, and not too far away from London...

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Central London is only really practical for an event on a Sunday, and that would limit the prospective buyer audience considerably, tourists being many of those present. For an effective message spreading event, it's locations easily reached by car that are really needed, and London is far from ideal in that respect.
Central London has a few cycling events already aimed at encouraging people to cycle round London, it may be possible to tag onto this and reach people who are interested but not commited to cycling.
There's also a good selection of not too steep hills to show off the capabilities.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
The first time i saw an ebike was a few weeks ago. My boss had arranged for an electric bike shop in Southampton to come to our office and let people have a go on several bikes including a wisper. We're now getting one as a pool bike for everyone at work to get to meetings and also down to a local shop at lunch time. (we're based in the middle of nowhere!) Good times ahead!

Your boss is cool!

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
I found mine 'by chance'. Five years ago now.

There was a Powabyke in the window of the local dealer, so I went in to have a closer look at it.

I thought it was a bit pricy so I went back home and looked up Powabykes in case there was a cheaper way to buy one.

One of the entries that came up was a Powabyke shopper on e-bay.

No-one else seemed to want it, poor little thing, so I bid for it.

I paid £250 for the machine and £40 for a courier to bring it down to me and we have been inseperable eversince.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seems you got a bargain there Stranger, barely over a pound a week over five years even if you scrapped it now.

Slightly cheaper than a car. :D

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
We get a lot of warranty cards sent in to us and one of the questions it asks is "Where did you here of Powabyke?" Over 50% say they saw it in the local dealers which shows if dealers stock a bike, they are more likely to sell it.

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
OK there aren't as many hills in some parts of the region but why not "closer to home" (for us) in East Anglia? - a popular holiday destination, and not too far away from London...
Any suggestions Alex. Rutland is about 60 miles from me, 120 miles from you. So if it is closer it ought to be in your direction. There is someone who hires electric bikes for a trail near Leiston, but I am not sure whether there is a rallye possibility out that way, although I guess there is Rendlesham forest, but that may shake more bikes to bits than Presteigne cobbles.

What we need is somewhere good for a rallye which does not cost a bomb has a unique repeatable character, space for trialling bikes with limited risk of them being stolen, an odd hill, car space for visitors etc etc.

John

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
Seems you got a bargain there Stranger, barely over a pound a week over five years even if you scrapped it now.

Slightly cheaper than a car. :D
Not quite that--it has had a set of new batteries (3x£60) and regular servicing (£35 a time)---and one mustn't forget either that it costs about 5p a week to keep it charged up. :eek:

But yes--certainly cheaper than a car and it has saved me, I'd guess, between £30 and £40 a month in fuel too.

I wonder how long they are meant to last!

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, Frank. To add to your comment: When I was looking for an ebike a few years back I saw in the Yellow pages that Town Bikes in Gosport sold Powabyke. I phoned them up and he said they only had the trike in stock as the two wheelers were out the door as soon as they came in. He said they are very popular.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
the first ebike I rode was in 2004 - it belonged to a young lady I knew from the rave scene (when I lived back in Reading), who let me have a go on it.

Not 100% sure what it was, but it was like a very heavy ladies shopper powered by what appeared to be 3 lead acid batteries - with "easy rider" handlebars.

It was rather surreal TBH - especially as we'd all only just got back from a large warehouse rave and it was still dark - as of course I'd never have ridden such a bike in broad daylight (my bike of choice at the time was a unpowered Dawes Horizon).

I was impressed though as it was quite powerful, and thought "these are a good idea, its a shame they don't look like the normal sort of bike a young chap would ride.."

then when I moved to Ipswich some of my colleagues from the Phillipines were riding about on a electric bike of some description - either a Powabyke or a Izip/currie (not 100% sure)

Anyway last December I bought a Powacycle Salisbury which I have already done 500 miles on and I am impressed with for the price....

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Any suggestions Alex. Rutland is about 60 miles from me, 120 miles from you. So if it is closer it ought to be in your direction. There is someone who hires electric bikes for a trail near Leiston, but I am not sure whether there is a rallye possibility out that way, although I guess there is Rendlesham forest, but that may shake more bikes to bits than Presteigne cobbles.

What we need is somewhere good for a rallye which does not cost a bomb has a unique repeatable character, space for trialling bikes with limited risk of them being stolen, an odd hill, car space for visitors etc etc.

John
If you are looking for hills, maybe breckland area around thetford forest? I have to admit I don't know the exact area that well but had a quick check on memory map and it has gradients similar to Mid Suffolk (where there certainly are hills!)

The area in Leiston / Sax / Fram to the coast has the "disadvantage" (well at least for honest evaluation in all terrains) that this area is very flat compared to the rest of Suffolk - I believe they were hiriing out Sparta (?) bikes which are very pretty (and pricey!) but I think flecc mentioned these machines were low powered and didn't like hills much at all...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The area in Leiston / Sax / Fram to the coast has the "disadvantage" (well at least for honest evaluation in all terrains) that this area is very flat compared to the rest of Suffolk - I believe they were hiriing out Sparta (?) bikes which are very pretty (and pricey!) but I think flecc mentioned these machines were low powered and didn't like hills much at all...
Yes, beautifully made and styled, but the Sparta direct drive motor is very poor on hills. A perfect e-bike for a flat area though.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Central London has a few cycling events already aimed at encouraging people to cycle round London, it may be possible to tag onto this and reach people who are interested but not commited to cycling.
There's also a good selection of not too steep hills to show off the capabilities.
Further to this I have just been browsing Boris's transport vision for London, I first saw his reference to promoting electric vehicles and cycling and then I saw a specific but brief mention of electrically assisted cycles. He is desperate to get people onto 2 wheels, even if they are 'cheating' ;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The artical from Boris

The cycle revolution

Which brings me – you knew it was coming – to the possibilities of the bicycle. I love my bike, and in the moments when it is not raining in
London – 94 per cent of the time – I simply can’t understand why people
would want to use any other method of transport.

But I am the first to admit that some cyclists do not go out of their way
to earn the admiration of other Londoners. They jump the lights. They
go the wrong way down one-way streets. They mount the pavements
and terrify pedestrians. If we are going to do so much more to encourage
cycling – and we are – then cyclists must understand that I will encourage
– with my policing hat on – whatever steps are possible and necessary to
crack down on aggressive cycling. At the moment this behaviour is
spoiling the reputation of what could and should be the most efficient and
exhilarating way of getting around town.

Though cycling has increased in popularity, it only represents one per
cent of journeys – nowhere near the achievements of Copenhagen (20 per
cent) or Amsterdam (30 per cent). If we are to attain a level of even five
per cent of journeys by bike, we will need a step change – and that can
only be accomplished with a series of deeply-meditated improvements.
The first is a cycle hire scheme, of a kind begun in Paris. We are on a very
tight timetable, aiming to introduce the new bikes by 2010. We will start
with between 6,000 and 10,000 bikes in the central London boroughs.
The evidence from Paris is that the scheme is attractive to people who
have given up on their bike since school or university. They get the
habit; they are hooked, and then they buy their own.

But then there are huge numbers of people who are simply too nervous.
They might take a hire cycle a short distance, but the idea of a daily
commute is just too much.

We need to think creatively about how we can overcome those fears. That is why we are now looking at promoting a series of routes in which cyclists KNOW they will be safe, where cars will not howl past them at 50 mph and
where they will not be punished for nervous wobbling with an angry parp
of the horn. That will mean thinking creatively about ‘barrier-busting’ on
routes into the centre, helping cyclists to deal with the palio-style gyratories
and one-way systems. It is an utter disgrace that there is no decent cycle lane on the Victoria Embankment or on the north side of the Park – and I cannot understand the ban on cycling virtually everywhere in the Royal Parks. And then there is the huge potential to develop cycle hubs in the outer boroughs – since it is a key principle of this policy that not
every journey need involve going to the centre of town.

Why not develop parallel cycle hire schemes in the outer boroughs, or
electrically-assisted cycles (Hooray! DM)
, to save the expense of catching a cab or driving from the station? Those Cycling ‘should be
the most efficient and exhilarating way of getting around town’

There are those who object to the expansion of cycling say that London is ‘too big’ and does not have the same ‘feel’ as Copenhagen or Amsterdam.
But London is a huge collection of suburbs and villages, and each of
those centres might benefit from a culture where people genuinely felt
it was safe to cycle with their kids to school.

I believe that the cycle-ised city is the civilised city – but as I write those
words, I want to reassure motorists and pedestrians that City Hall has not
been captured by militant cyclists. City Hall is in the possession of cyclists,
motorists, bus-users, tram-users, tube-travellers, pedestrians, scooterenthusiasts, motorcyclists, river boat users and inveterate enthusiasts for the taxi and the minicab. We want to be fair to all modes,
and we believe we can do this by improving public transport, increasing
safety, smoothing traffic flow, encouraging cycling, speeding the
development of urban realm projects and thereby making the city easier to
get around and more liveable.

• Launching a full-scale cycle hire scheme by 2010 in nine London boroughs
• Creating dedicated routes that give nervous cyclists the confidence they need
• A big increase in cycle stands and secure parking for cyclists
• Helping to create cycle hubs and hire schemes in the outer boroughs
• Considering the possibility of allowing cyclists to turn left on red
Encouraging more cycling

We are continuing to work on electric vehicles as well as hydrogen
and hybrid vehicles, because I am absolutely determined that London
should be in the forefront of the green revolution, in both the development
and application of new technology.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
• Launching a full-scale cycle hire scheme by 2010 in nine London boroughs.
I could tear this whole Boris Johnson spiel to pieces, but I'll content myself with remarking that Boris has said this has to be paid for by the Boroughs and at the same time has cut their annual cycling budget by £9 millions.

The typical politician as ever, making promises, putting the onus for meeting those onto someone else and then denying them the resources to do the job.

That leaves him squeaky clean (he hopes) and the Boroughs getting the blame when it doesn't happen.

The House of Commons Select Committee have just found out what I've long known, that he's devious and untrustworthy.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
£9m

Thanks Flecc

I hope to be meeting them in a couple of weeks, is there anything else you would like me to bring up?

I simply got excited when I read the article. I actually believed what I read!

Silly me!

All the best David