How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I don't reckon that it's off topic Phil. :) After all, if wasn't for the KTM and riding off road, I wouldn't have been out there.

But just to keep everyone happy. :)

Right, onto the finds.
This now has me even more interested in the South Downs. My passion and love for the area has been growing and growing, and now that passion is cemented even further.
The item that I thought was bronze, isn't. After cleaning the mud and crud from it, it turns out to be brass, and from what I can tell, is possibly part of a WW2 bomb.

With that thought in mind, I came across this link which perhaps makes it even more possible.
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/research/landscapes-and-areas/national-mapping-programme/south-downs-nmp/

The aerial photo shown just West of Alfriston, is as far as I can tell, pretty much where I found it. The 'H' looking section, lower L/H corner, is where I believe that I was. I need to compare details further, but taking the bomb crater layout, and hill shape, I hope to be right. It is hard to tell for sure though, as one section of the Downs, often looks the same as another.
The field itself had plenty of other small fragments of iron scattered along it's length, and there are still signs of concrete installations remaining.

This was also another interesting link that I came across. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/wartime-bombs-found-on-south-downs/query/WW2

This now has me hooked, and despite the muddy conditions of this week, I'm going to venture back to the same field next weekend, to see what else might be revealed. :)
Very interesting.
I and a friend spent many hours in childhood not only playing but digging up spent shells on the downs.

We were two kids aged around 10 at the time and my friend had a metal detector. We found an spot that I believe must have been used for military training . Each visit produced more than were were physically able to carry.

I still visit this spot regularly today.

We'd bag them up, catch the bus and cash them in at Richardsons scrap merchants in Brighton. Our parents had no money but this scrap funded part of our childhood nicely. I have very very fond memories of those days.

Mortar bomb tails were common but on at least 3 occasions we dug up complete mortar bombs.
We'd report these to the local plod of the day and they'd visit our finds. What they did with them, I have no idea.

I have spent many years riding the South Downs and still do. This area will always remain a magical and special place for me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Army bomb disposal blew up a bomb on a beach near a friend's house.

As luck wouldn't have it, he was taking an afternoon snooze on the bed at the time.

The blast blew the pendant light off the ceiling.

No other damage to his house, but a couple of neighbours lost panes of glass in their greenhouses.

Reactions: SRS

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
If you fancy some digging sometime, I'd happily join you. :)

You are right about the place. No matter what the weather, it's an exhilarating and wonderful place to be in.
I think that I might have said it before, but evenings are very special time to be up there. The mood changes, and the place attracts for want of other words, a different breed of person. Gone are the families with their dogs, and the people that venture there in the evening, seem to appreciate the solitude and peace of the area.
The peace and solitude is one of the reasons that I don't stay on the South Downs Way. I really don't understand people's fascination to stay on the SDW, when the Downs has so many superb bridleways to explore. Most walkers and mtb riders just use that one motorway of a route. Obviously I'm glad that they do though, as it leaves even more room for the likes of us. :)

I can't remember if I have seen you since my visit up there on the really rough and horrendously windy day. Again it was near Alfriston, and I had struggled up a steep bridleway, to be greeted by a farmer when I got to the top. For some reason I had expected a bit of conflict from him, but the conversation was the complete opposite. It was like meeting an old friend, and I spent probably a good half hour talking to him about the Downs. Sadly not all of the conversation was good, as he was saying how National Park status had ruined it. He was saying that with the increase in people numbers, the type of person using it also changed, with people seemingly thinking that they had a right to remove fences to ride mtb's and horses across private land, to trample across fields with crops in. I felt embarrassed by these comments, and found myself apologising to him for the misery that others are causing. I imagine that the people that are doing this are a very very small percentage, but that is all that it takes.
He also made a point of telling me of sections of the Downs that I should try, and which direction to ride them in.
My only regret was that I didn't swap contact details, but I do look out for him each time that I'm down there.

Reactions: SRS

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Fascinating stuff, Eddie - I obviously wasn't the only one interested in what you found!;)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
There seems a lot of flat ground for you ride on Martin, I did 25 miles and only one mile left to go on the range finder. Little done on Eco though, mostly Tour.

I found a sticking front brake caused the shorter range I have suffered recently, much better now. Feel a drip for not picking up on it sooner.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
There seems a lot of flat ground for you ride on Martin, I did 25 miles and only one mile left to go on the range finder. Little done on Eco though, mostly Tour.

I found a sticking front brake caused the shorter range I have suffered recently, much better now. Feel a drip for not picking up on it sooner.
It didn't feel very flat to be honest Mike...I did push it up into TOUR on several occasions, and even full power on one short sharp hill into Highley-definitely enjoyed the offroad sections more than the road sections today as it got me out of the wind for a while.

Reactions: MarkTheGoose

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Tidy loop you've worked out there, Martin.

Plenty long enough in this weather.

Battery range about as to be expected, some of those softer trails will have sucked the power.

I expect you'd get round mostly in tour setting in bone dry conditions.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

That certainly looks a lovely dry route. I wouldn't mind some of that right now. :)
All that I did today, was a 9 mile road ride on the pedal mtb. I wanted to see how my KTM pedal only mtb compared with the Scott road bike that I have borrowed.

I've not seen Sports Tracker before. I rather like the look of that.
Can it be used at the same time as Strava using one device/phone?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Oh, you have to have a dam phone?

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Oh, you have to have a dam phone?
I'm afraid so..I actually bought my first smartphone in December specifically for the Sports Tracker/Strava...and to read books on and take pics.
The 2 can be used at the sametime Eddie, no problem.....quite good, as you can see the discrepancies between the Bike, Strava and Sports Trackers stats.

Reactions: EddiePJ

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Tidy loop you've worked out there, Martin.

Plenty long enough in this weather.

Battery range about as to be expected, some of those softer trails will have sucked the power.

I expect you'd get round mostly in tour setting in bone dry conditions.
You're right Rob, there's a lot of deep sand/shallow root areas in the woods around me due to the sandstone erosion...lots of cool sandstone houses too.

-I took a bad picture of Holly Austin Rock, which has a newly refurbed lived-in Sandstone house.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If you switch it on and ride from home it's a big giveaway to where you live, give or take.

I would prefer to remain as anonymous as I can to the general populous.

MCX

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2015
This is my commute on the way home here in Devon.

I have decided to buy pads...:eek:
I am using the bike on a daily basis and absolutely love it. Buying a downhill spec bike turned out to be a wise idea having now had a good explore of the area. Nearly 2 miles of Cat 3 hill up and some crazy single track down totalling 10.2miles a day-If I take the quickest route...
Over 300miles since late Dec.
So far I have had a Frame bolt work lose, bust a chain and had around 5 pinch flats.
If you don't like Metal music - sorry!

Reactions: TinKitten

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
If you switch it on and ride from home it's a big giveaway to where you live, give or take.

I would prefer to remain as anonymous as I can to the general populous.
On Strava you can set a privacy area so it wont show anything near your home publicly.

This was my ride today,not offroad but it was to the Dales MTB & offroad centre.
Had a ride over to suss it out prior to getting my new car next month as I can get a bike rack then and start doing the local routes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/253941831

This is the centre,its excellent,has a free bike wash,a fully stocked shop and even accomodation if you want to make a week/weekend of it.

http://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk/index.php/shop/

And the main local routes

http://www.cyclethedales.org.uk/all-routes-search?queries_route_location_query_posted=1&queries_route_location_query[17]=Reeth

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Really not been feeling that great this week, so have only been out yesterday and today for two shortish ride. Even having the electric motor I was struggling to get up each and every hill, and made frequent stops. Trust me to have worked with someone who had picked up gastroenteritis!

I just chose to go at a slow pace exploring areas for future rides.

Three Instagram photos.

My cheapo SJ4000 camera has now finally arrived, so I had a quick play with that as a well.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/helmet-camera-recommendations-please.19823/page-3#post-250951

On the recommendation of someone from on here, I have now also signed up to Sports Tracker.
http://www.sports-tracker.com/workout/eddiepj/54e089d1e4b06c21d943edb4

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Whilst I was out last Saturday, I came across a lost/abandoned greyhound. I tried to get close to it, but it ran off and there wasn't anything else that I could do at the time. When I got home, I did a bit of searching on the net, and discovered that people had been trying to search for it. I posted up a map copy of where I had seen it, and went back tonight for a good search again myself. Sadly I couldn't find it. :(

Normally when out at night time, I see hundreds of eyes staring into the lights, but not one set tonight. What is sad in respect of the dog, is that throughout the year I stumble all too frequently into lost or dumped dogs out in the middle of nowhere. I've yet to manage to capture any of them. :(

Also a quick clip of the same route as previously posted, but at night time. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/helmet-camera-recommendations-please.19823/page-3#post-251350

Last edited:
Reactions: MCX

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Had another very quick play with the SJ4000 this morning. Must remember to check the console display before setting off. The Nyon display is a pain in backside for this. Also need to remember to check the lense whilst riding. The mount height and camera settings still aren't quite there yet either.

I'll get there.

Advertisers