How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Had a ride into town the other day and found a couple of bike tracks.
Just had a slow ride round but going back next week to see how it handles with a bit more speed.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Did a little ride over the moors the other week as things were drying up a bit and the grouse have not really started nesting yet.
Looking forward to doing it again once they have raised their chicks.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A little bit better Dave, same short route. Still need to stop the shake though, and be more aware of the sun. (

And if you have ever wondered what Pooh Bridge looks like, it's at the end of this short clip. I normally only ride this little section at night time. It's generally too busy in the day time to make it worth while. The oak tree on the left of the wet patch has claimed a few riders. For some reason at night time it pulls you sight line towards it, then target fixation kicks in, and catches people out.

Finally, another short clip of a favourite night ride section. The forestry operations in the woodland have now stopped, and they are busy repairing the tracks, so hopefully I'll have the rest of the 500 acres to ride on before too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinninvie

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Had a ride over Bollihope Common while the sun was shining too.
Ended up having a cuppa with a couple of bikers who loved my bike.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Rather than clicking loads of likes all over this thread I'd just like to thank all the folks who've posted these great videos and stills.
I really enjoy this thread and appreciate the postings.:):):)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
So,can we have a video of you riding down the mountain (or up it)?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
So,can we have a video of you riding down the mountain (or up it)?
Sorry but I haven't got a video camera. I seldom take my still camera with me as being lucky enough to be retired and fairly fit apart from a dodgy knee, I can go out most days so the photo's tend to get a bit repetitive.
I just wish video technology had been this good in my younger days when I used to cycle over much wider areas. Yorkshire Dales in particular, I would love to see the videos I could have taken.
So all who contribute to this thread, please keep up the good work and store some memories for your later years.:)

Dave.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's much better now. I felt like it was me ridibg the bike.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Not an ebike Eddie, but some of your rides aren't either;)
Some guy called Danny Macaskill:rolleyes: I was very disappointed to see he didn't ride it all, and he really should have tied his boat up. But a really nice method for crossing fences:D

Reactions: EddiePJ

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Had a really enjoyable ride today 34.75 miles....mostly Tarmac country lanes, but plenty of off road too and some Canal Towpaths!
First proper ride out since a strip down and rebuild (other than commutes), bike performed flawlessly.
001.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

Attachments

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Looks like your lawn needs cutting, o/h the mower next Martin?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Oh come on EddiePJ, no one believes that this was you. Where is the mud? By the way, I followed your advice this morning http://www.rotwild.de/en/e-mtb/r-e1plus-fs-27-5

Hope to have it in the next few days. Being your idea I assume that you will want to pay half.[
One word...... Stunning. :)

Hang on, I've thought of another two words.. Very jealous. :)

Oddly, I was thinking about Rotwild bikes whilst cycling back from the pub this evening.

Last edited:

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
How easy was your Bosch bearing repair? I am really hoping for a more reliable mount, or at least one that keeps the countryside to of the bearings.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Repaired and back within a week. :)

The motor is also a lot quieter than it ever was from new as well.

I look forward reading about the Rotwild when it arrives, I'd be particularly interested to know how it gets on when you wash it, and how dry things like the battery connections etc stay.

Another thing that I'd be interested in reading about is the front sprocket. Is it a dedicated Rotwild part, or is it an off the shelf, buy anywhere component?

Last edited:

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
The front sprocket is an interesting question. They are using the same rear transmission as my current AMT Pro, the SRAM X0 10-42 11spd. I thought that due to the specific alternating teeth the SRAM X0 needed its own specific chain and I would have thought a SRAM chainwheel, but the spec is non-specific. I like the way they use a separate conduit for the 'internal' cables allowing them to keep the battery compartment tightly sealed. Out of interest, the E1 and the Q1 are the same price but different spec. I went with the E1 as the front forks are much better, I like the rear SRAM ratios but they saved money on the brakes. What are your thoughts between the two?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'll have to take a proper look through the spec etc later, but the Q1 would probably suit my riding better, but I prefer the looks of the E1.

I'd imagine that neither would disappoint, but reckon that you opted for the right one. :)

One things for sure, with the choice of gearing on offer, selecting the right combination isn't ever going to be an issue, and unlike the Bosch system with it's across brand issue, I'd imagine that chain suck isn't ever likely to rear it's ugly head.

Now that things are drying out, I'm only now starting to see the benefit of the full suspension on the KTM, and great fun that it is to, but from my point of view, whilst it doesn't appeal so much or look as nice, I'd opt for R.C1+HT 29 to cover the 6 months of the year when the FS isn't worth having. :)

I'm looking forward to you getting one of these bikes. :)

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A bit of a late minute decision this one.

I wasn't going to bother riding some of the Wiggle rides this year, but went along today with a mate, and rode the 32 mile Wiggle Ups And Downs.

Despite the heavy rain first off, I was glad that did. I had intended to ride it on the pedal MTB, but my left knee has been a nightmare this week, and just pushing down on the clutch pedal in the motor has been enough to send me reeling in agony. :(

So the e-mtb it was.

Usual cheating comments abounded, but given that I can very easily kill the battery in less than twenty miles, I don't consider riding 32 miles and still returning afterwards with less than two fifths of energy gone, cheating. I'd say that I did bloody well to conserve it and shows just how much that I must have ridden unassisted.

One post ride, knackered looking, scratched to hell Nyon display. I need to find the time to fit the Intuvia system to the bike.

Mid way through the ride, I became separated from the lad that I was riding with. I was in front of him and had assumed that along with a group of other riders, that he had taken a wrong turn. I waited for 15 minutes for him to appear, then set off again, only to find out after the ride had finished, that he had received a puncture. I also suffered one, which was on the front tyre that contained the Stans tubeless set up. It took ages for it to re seal! Given that the Stans tubeless set up has failed and balled up after only months of use, I can't recommend it to anyone.

Speaking of tyres.. After not being able to fit the rear WTB Vigilante to the Swiss DT rim again, I was running a very odd set up of a Rocket Ron on the rear, but still had a WTB Vigilante on the front. It felt odd to start with, and the back kept stepping out, but I quickly got used to it, and actually made the most of it. Even if I say so myself, my down hill times today were pretty impressive, right down to me getting wrongly agitated by slower riders. When I got back and looked at Strava, I was really surprised to see that all of the down hill times were very creditable, and on one section, I had a third fastest out of 346 riders, but this has now changed to fourth fastest out of 503 riders, and three seconds behind the fastest time that was set a year or so ago. My poor forks also took a mega bashing when I hit a ditch square on at roughly 25mph. I had them set to trail, not descent, and the noise of them bottoming out, must have been heard in the next county! Thankfully they stood it, which is testament (and luck) to their quality.

This was only the second time that I have ridden this route and some of it had changed, but interestingly I had 25 down hill personal records, when compared to last year on the BH, and the only slower stats, were up hill sections, where I was just poodling along at my mates speed, and not taking the full benefit from the electric motor. Total achievements were 48, which isn't bad for one ride:)

I had a slight close one the road, when a van in front stopped to give way to an oncoming vehicle. I pulled up to stop, then couldn't release my foot from the clipless set up. I was just going over, when the van moved forward, and somehow I managed to move forward enough to prevent myself from falling, and release from the pedal. That one could have been embarrassing!

I also pulled my bad knee pretty badly, whilst trying to stay hooked to the rear of a fast rider on a descent. He must have known the terrain, and I wasn't about to let him go, so followed every line that he did, but his bike was much lighter and agile, and after a very quick flick left then right, I couldn't carry it off and pulled my knee trying.

The final bit of fun came on the last descent. I hooked onto the rear of three lads that were going balls out, and tried desperately to pass them, but at 32mph, I was spinning out, and just wasn't getting anywhere despite me trying as hard as I could. When we got to the bottom of the descent, I happened to glance down and couldn't see the rear derailleur. A WTF moment went through my head, mainly because I could still pedal, but wasn't moving forward. My faith in the Bosch motor is already zero anyway, and I instantly thought that yet another bearing failure or worse had occurred, but upon stopping I realised that the chain had jumped off from the front sprocket! Good old Bosch, nothing changes! I thought that issue was supposed to have been sorted, but clearly not.

Look a clean bike!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: TinKitten

Advertisers