How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i found 1 i did :)

£86 :eek:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Got round to rewiring the fs cube ams in the week so now runs off lipo's so out I went today for a near 70mile jaunt via the downs, the BBS01 350w runs faultlessly with plenty off oomph. Conditions were very different from my last trip a few weeks ago and the bike and I got absolutely caked and enjoyed it, around the Findon area I got soaked as low cloud formed, shortly after this I came a cropper on a wet muddy descent at about 20 mph as the front end went from under me I hit the deck on my right shoulder then my helmet hit as the momentum rolled me on my back then the left shoulder before I finally ended up on my chest no injuries just a bit winded. On a plus note I fitted the new Trekking Lidl saddle they don't look to great and the design is bulky but they are comfy must get another when they re appear certainly better then any of my others

Old rail carriage used as an information and rest stop at West Grinstead.
DSCF0330.JPG

Station platforms still in situ.
DSCF0334.JPG

On the downs good job pics can't do smells.
DSCF0336.JPG

Another day I will have ago at the steep grass descent down into the valley bowl, this is behind the old cement works nr Steyning, there was livestock to the right so didn't want to spook them.
DSCF0339.JPG
DSCF0340.JPG

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Sounds like a great ride. Years ago when my son was about six and my daughter a small toddler who travelled in a child seat on my bike together with my wife and a neighbour we rode the downs link down to Shoreham-by-the sea.

My neighbour and I rode from our houses in Godalming connecting to the Downs Link at Bramley. My wife and children travelled to Cranleigh in the car and joined us there. We had a great day,a pub lunch and an ice cream by the sea before getting the train back. A really good family day out. We went past a railway carriage like the one in your picture that might be the same one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
More than likely as the carriage is looking a bit old, unlike the Worth way I don't find the Downs link as boring there is some nice open country side to view plus from Henfield you can focus on the downs as they appear larger. The plus side is that they were designed as traffic free routes so a safer way to get from A to B.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
unlike the Worth way I don't find the Downs link
I made the mistake of going on there one evening last week. Riding any old railway line route or canal towpath has to be the most boring thing ever.
I can't deal with it more than once or twice a year.

My ride today was brilliant. I'd never wanted to venture into Hornshurst before, as I know that two lads spend so many hours building and maintaining the tracks in the woods, and riding them without permission didn't see fair or right.
As it happened today, the lad leading the group* ride out was one of the lads that maintains the network of downhill sections, and also runs the club. I know have permission, and will also be joining the club. :)

* A group ride that I was the only rider that turned up for. I'm starting to really wonder about fair weather only riders. Why say that you will come, then shy away because it's raining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gubbins

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Almost off-road just here on a local sportive that had over 6,000 feet of climbing in 32 miles, had a good tussle with the fastest riders there who seemed to be racing. A battery change and the lure of cakes at the feed station saw me lose touch with the fastest riders.
RVC.jpg

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Almost off-road just here on a local sportive that had over 6,000 feet of climbing in 32 miles, had a good tussle with the fastest riders there who seemed to be racing. A battery change and the lure of cakes at the feed station saw me lose touch with the fastest riders.
View attachment 13639
You dont look particularly.. what's the word I'm looking for here?..
Muddy!!!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
You dont look particularly.. what's the word I'm looking for here?..
Muddy!!!
Yes I don't like getting muddy :cool:, my jeans bottoms did get a bit splashed.
This guy was very fast for his age, his younger team mates were even faster though.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I made the mistake of going on there one evening last week. Riding any old railway line route or canal towpath has to be the most boring thing ever.
I can't deal with it more than once or twice a year.

My ride today was brilliant. I'd never wanted to venture into Hornshurst before, as I know that two lads spend so many hours building and maintaining the tracks in the woods, and riding them without permission didn't see fair or right.
As it happened today, the lad leading the group* ride out was one of the lads that maintains the network of downhill sections, and also runs the club. I know have permission, and will also be joining the club. :)

* A group ride that I was the only rider that turned up for. I'm starting to really wonder about fair weather only riders. Why say that you will come, then shy away because it's raining.
The ''Cinder Track'' - The old railway line from Whitby to Scarborough is great when;-
1) Wet
2) Weekdays when the kids are at school

Great scenery, great cafes en route and its all uphill on the way back - well nearly all uphill

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Stumpy, I just find the straightness and regularity of them so uninspiring. The South Downs way is pretty much the same as well. Stunning views, but so dull to ride. Get off the SDW and onto bridleways, and everything changes, and becomes far more interesting and fun.

This looks promising! ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
hope that you are on good terms with your neighbours !!

nope there round the twist, they put up fake dummy cams to watch us so i just installed a pan tilt wifi cam that should pee um right off :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i hope not lol :)

Advertisers