How small/short a person can e-folders be adjusted for?

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
The pedal at its lowest point is 13cm from the ground.
how far it is from the pedal at the pedal's lowest point: 72cm - 13cm = 59cm
Thanks for that information. Too long for me, sadly, unless crank changes can be made without invalidating the warranty.

D

Deleted member 33385

Thanks for that information. Too long for me, sadly, unless crank changes can be made without invalidating the warranty.
You could buy a second pair of cranks, get those adjusted and fitted, and keep the original ones to whip back on, if you need to send the bike back under warranty.

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
If you are shortening the cranks and making adjustments - a more programmable motor might be a good idea. Whoever installs a Bafang BBS01b for you, could fine tune it for your riding requirements, whereas an off the shelf complete ebike might not be adjustable, as much.
But finding an installer would be an well-nigh insurmountable problem from what I've been reading. I'm pretty sure I could manage a 'plug and play' type of kit myself, but wouldn't trust myself to fine tune anything much in the electronics of it.
An off the shelf bit of kit would be easier all around, I think. Even if I end up with purple sparkly blocks on my pedals!

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
with a telescopic stem.
Not wishing to be sarcastic, but is it telescopic horizontally as well as vertically? Ie how do I, or how can I, get the bars closer to me so that I can reach them with my hands. Not just lower or higher …

D

Deleted member 33385

But finding an installer would be an well-nigh insurmountable problem from what I've been reading. I'm pretty sure I could manage a 'plug and play' type of kit myself, but wouldn't trust myself to fine tune anything much in the electronics of it.
An off the shelf bit of kit would be easier all around, I think. Even if I end up with purple sparkly blocks on my pedals!

The programming bit is the easiest part. A Windows PC or laptop that's not too old, is most compatible. And I think that pretty much anyone could install a BBS01b - if you feel confident enough to have a go with what's in this video - ignore the battery bodge - yours should fit fine on a downtube, and even if it doesn't , there's always a way... mine's on the pannier.

The electrics only fit in one combination, and are colour coded.

I don't know if Woosh has kits, if not there might be others like Brighton ebikes (who I have no experience of):

...if you get stuck while installing a BBS01b, lots of people on this forum seem to have them, and could advise I'm sure.

Last edited:

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
The programming bit is the easiest part. A Windows PC or laptop that's not too old, is most compatible. And I think that pretty much anyone could install a BBS01b - if you feel confident enough to have a go with what's in this video - ignore the battery bodge - yours should fit fine on a downtube, and even if it doesn't , there's always a way... mine's on the pannier.

The electrics only fit in one combination, and are colour coded.

I don't know if Woosh has kits, if not there might be others like Brighton ebikes (who I have no experience of):

...if you get stuck while installing a BBS01b, lots of people on this forum seem to have them, and could advise I'm sure.
Thanks for that, I have seen that video and that's what made me think that I could almost certainly install a (simple, front hub motor) one myself - goodness knows I've sorted out enough knitting and sewing machines for other people, both mechanical and electronic, and back in the day used to do most of my own bike maintenance.

But the more I think it over, the more tempting an off-the-shelf jobbie seems - especially as (a)it now appears many of them are more 'adjustable' than I was initially thinking (b)my cycle toolset is sadly depleted and (c)my allotment shed is not the best place to work on a bike! Buying from a reputable company, having it delivered to the door, and all I need to do is unfold, check battery charge, adjust seat and bars and off I go - even if I need to organise 'spare' or 'altered' cranks and an adjustable stem for 'proper' riding - is going to take much less time and effort than searching for a suitable folder in decent condition within easy reach and at the right price, doing it up and then fitting an e-kit.

I'll wait and see what responses I get from the companies I've emailed wrt sizing and adjustability, before making a final decision. I just wish that there was at least one supplier within easy reach of where I live so I could see one of the darned things!

D

Deleted member 33385

Thanks for that, I have seen that video and that's what made me think that I could almost certainly install a (simple, front hub motor) one myself - goodness knows I've sorted out enough knitting and sewing machines for other people, both mechanical and electronic, and back in the day used to do most of my own bike maintenance.

But the more I think it over, the more tempting an off-the-shelf jobbie seems - especially as (a)it now appears many of them are more 'adjustable' than I was initially thinking (b)my cycle toolset is sadly depleted and (c)my allotment shed is not the best place to work on a bike! Buying from a reputable company, having it delivered to the door, and all I need to do is unfold, check battery charge, adjust seat and bars and off I go - even if I need to organise 'spare' or 'altered' cranks and an adjustable stem for 'proper' riding - is going to take much less time and effort than searching for a suitable folder in decent condition within easy reach and at the right price, doing it up and then fitting an e-kit.

I'll wait and see what responses I get from the companies I've emailed wrt sizing and adjustability, before making a final decision. I just wish that there was at least one supplier within easy reach of where I live so I could see one of the darned things!

If you do decide to try the Bafang BBS01b kit, the only tricky part had nothing to do with the kit itself:

...you've lost me with the purple... unless there's a hi-viz dayglow purple...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've had a look at the Woosh Rambletta images and the cranks, if they are alloy, could have a second shorter mounting point installed by Highpath Engineering to reduce the lengths.

Although it has no adjustment to move the steering stem closer to the seat, the riser handle bar can be rotated by slackening the clamp, both lowering the bars a little to match the lower seat height and that rotation can also bring the handlebar a little closer.

I did that on my e-folder as you see below from behind the saddle, positioning the hand grips lower and closer instead of 3" higher as supplied:

Last edited:

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
I've had a look at the Woosh Rambletta images and the cranks, if they are alloy, could have a second shorter mounting point installed by Highpath Engineering to reduce the lengths.

Although it has no adjustment to move the steering stem closer to the seat, the riser handle bar can be rotated by slackening the clamp, both lowering the bars a little to match the lower seat height and that rotation can also bring the handlebar a little closer.

I did that on my e-folder as you see below from behind the saddle, positioning the hand grips lower and closer instead of 3" higher as supplied:

Yes, thanks for the link to Highpath Engineering. It makes the possibility of a really useful off-the-shelf bike much closer to a reality. I think their variably-positioned pedals might be something to look at too as I have a flexibility issue with one foot and ankle, and feel that I may well need something slightly, well, one-sided shall we say.
Now the bar positioning is bugging me a bit, I was used to an adjustable stem so the bars would be brought in towards me. OK I know I can slide the saddle forward on the rails to push me an inch or so closer to the bars so perhaps that, added to what you suggest with the bars, might be sufficient. Unless I could replace the stem with an adjustable one, I mean I'm going to be a lot more upright than I ever was on my Isla bike so a bit extra height in the bar might not be as much problem as I'm imagining, but bringing them in towards me will be even more necessary with a more upright position.
Really your link to Highpath Engineering is what has opened a door wide for me, so thanks again!

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: pentiumofborg

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Wisper do a folding ebike, model No. 806. May be worth having a look at that.

Yes, that one's on my list - I've emailed the company with the same questions I've sent to several others, asking about measurements and the possibility of specific alterations/adaptations. Without that information, I can make no decision.

It's not as if I can nip to the local e-bike shop on the bus and try half a dozen different ones out, to judge which might fit me with a little tweaking and which ones definitely won't! As I've mentioned before, the blurb on the websites like 'suitable for people from 3ft 4" to 7ft 8"' or 'seat height from ground can be as low as 15 cm' is of no real use at all other than to fill up space on the page; what I (and other shorties, too, I suspect - and probably the really tall people, too) really need to know are things like minimum (and maximum) distance from seat to pedal when each are in the lowest/highest position, distance from seatpost to bars ditto, width of bars, size of brake levers etc.

D

Deleted member 33385

Yes, that one's on my list - I've emailed the company with the same questions I've sent to several others, asking about measurements and the possibility of specific alterations/adaptations. Without that information, I can make no decision.

It's not as if I can nip to the local e-bike shop on the bus and try half a dozen different ones out, to judge which might fit me with a little tweaking and which ones definitely won't! As I've mentioned before, the blurb on the websites like 'suitable for people from 3ft 4" to 7ft 8"' or 'seat height from ground can be as low as 15 cm' is of no real use at all other than to fill up space on the page; what I (and other shorties, too, I suspect - and probably the really tall people, too) really need to know are things like minimum (and maximum) distance from seat to pedal when each are in the lowest/highest position, distance from seatpost to bars ditto, width of bars, size of brake levers etc.

I've just measured my very old Dahon Helios P8, and can confirm that the distance from the ground to the lowest point of the pedal is indeed 13cm, as Woosh stated earlier, so the measurement from the seat to lowest point of the pedals is: Height of seat minus 13cm. Distance to the handles from the seat while upright is a tricky one to shorten, unless you get handlebars like Flecc has, which will bring them a little closer:

The 14 day money back guarantee for anything bought online, could make returns easier?

D

Deleted member 33385

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011

:p
Looks like just the ticket! Sadly according to the website
This product is not currently available for purchase.

Sorry, this item is currently unavailable

What a pity that is, I quite fancied getting two - one for me and one for my shopping bag … :eek:

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
The 14 day money back guarantee for anything bought online, could make returns easier?
Yes - but it also bumps up the price as I wouldn't expect the return courier to be free (unless faulty, broken etc) just because I've got short legs and arms!
I'll jump in with both feet soon enough, once I get replies to my emails. I have to say that the 'tone' of the replies, as well as the information they provide, will have a bearing on my decision. I've had one (automated) reply already, which, while it was reassuring to know that the email has actually arrived and is in their 'system', was a little disconcerting as it references upcoming Easter closure dates - so apparently hasn't been checked since then … but then I know that sort of thing is easy to overlook when you're busy.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

just make it electric and it has a basket on the front for the shopping ;)

thats tesco in 2050 :p