How to convert a bicycle to an E-bike?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I got rid of my throttles as I never really found them of much use.

Reactions: Zebb and flecc

Greg Burrows

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2015
Throttles are personal choice, no throttle if you are strong and fit and can safely move off from a junction, which may be on an incline.
I personally find not having a throttle control, downright dangerous, but I live in hilly terain, so is a totally no no for me, unless I want to end my life very quickily.

Reactions: vidtek

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
This comes in at £356

£352.00 on Yose UK website:-
36V350W 26"/28" Rear E-Bike Conversion Kit for Cassette with 36V13Ah H – YOSE POWER UK
Unfortunately the 28" wheel version showing as out of stock in UK.
I've bought two kits from them and have been very pleased with them. Good value for money.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
£343.00 on Yose UK website:-
36V350W 26"/27.5"/28" Rear E-Bike Conversion Kit for Freewheel with 36 – YOSE POWER UK
I've bought two kits from them and have been very pleased with them. Good value for money.
The cassette version is a little more on the UK site - I think the OP needs the cassette version (out of stock at the mo) https://www.yosepower.co.uk/products/36v350w-26-28-rear-e-bike-conversion-kit-for-cassette-with-36v13ah-hl1-battery?variant=43397932777692

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
The cassette version is a little more on the UK site - I think the OP needs the cassette version (out of stock at the mo) https://www.yosepower.co.uk/products/36v350w-26-28-rear-e-bike-conversion-kit-for-cassette-with-36v13ah-hl1-battery?variant=43397932777692
Oops! Quite right. If the OP follows up on this, and is tempted by the 250w. cassette kit (which is in stock) unlike the 350w. version it is restricted to 15.5mph and the throttle is limited as a "walk assist" - so not such a good buy as the 350w. It is a good hill climber though (and street legal!)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Not relevant to the OP but an advantage of a front hub is you can have hub gears if that’s your thing rather than derailleur.
Is that an advantage? I know some people that don't know how to ride bikes like them, but I wouldn't have them on one of my bikes. I tried one of thos Nuvinci things for a bit. it was horrible.

It's normally the other way round - your donor bike has hub-gears, so you can't have a rear motor and therefore are forced to choose between a front one and a middle one.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Is that an advantage? I know some people that don't know how to ride bikes like them, but I wouldn't have them on one of my bikes. I tried one of thos Nuvinci things for a bit. it was horrible.

It's normally the other way round - your donor bike has hub-gears, so you can't have a rear motor and therefore are forced to choose between a front one and a middle one.
I did say “if that’s your thing”, but they still have plenty of fans and are easier in city traffic.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
An advantage of a front hub is you can have hub gears if that’s your thing rather than derailleur.
Fair point, rear hub gears are popular is some parts of the World, Holland for instance.

They used to be popular in the UK too, but in recent years there seems to have been an obsession in having as large a number of gears as possible.

The OP wanted the converted bike for London commuting, and its no coincidence that one of the most popular London commuting bikes is the Brompton which does have a 3 speed rear hub gear, some of course have the simple chain pusher which gives you 6 speed.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Throttles are personal choice, no throttle if you are strong and fit and can safely move off from a junction, which may be on an incline.
I personally find not having a throttle control, downright dangerous, but I live in hilly terain, so is a totally no no for me, unless I want to end my life very quickily.
One advantage of my new Decathlon is the torque sensing so power comes on immediately I start pedalling.

Reactions: flecc

coolio2000

May 4, 2023
This looks really good - I beleive this is a throttle one?
To be honest I think I’d prefer a pedal powered bike as it’s what I’m more used to and don’t see the advantage of having a throttle as long as breaks are strong enough.

thanks so much for the help!

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Loads of advice here - difficult to pick through the biases:).

If I was in London then I think I'd get on the train and visit Messrs Woosh dahn in Sahfend(*)...

Fenchurch Street/Liverpool Street => Southend Central = GBP14.60 (cycle back!)

(*) Once had to attend an "interview" @ Alexander House.

Reactions: Woosh

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Loads of advice here - difficult to pick through the biases:).

If I was in London then I think I'd get on the train and visit Messrs Woosh dahn in Sahfend(*)...

Fenchurch Street/Liverpool Street => Southend Central = GBP14.60 (cycle back!)

(*) Once had to attend an "interview" @ Alexander House.
I doubt even Woosh can help on a £350 budget

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I live in a very hilly place and got a bike converted to have a Bafang 250 watt hub motor. I have had it just on two years and have loved it. The ability to use the gears to help the motor get up hills is a great advantage for me, though not for the OP. It is completely silent and has had no service needed in 2000 miles of quite hard use. The conversion was done by Billy Milburn from a village near Durham, called Esh Winning. I don't ride it in the winter much, but I keep the battery charged up and I always keep the chain well oiled because it is worked quite hard. A kit like mine with a 14ahr, 36v battery costs about £700 as far as I can remember.

coolio2000

May 4, 2023
yeah difficult to come to a conclusion from my side, a conversion kit that is 36v, is pedal powered (unrestricted with the capability to go above 15.5mph would be nice but I guess not required). The main thing is that if it is in line with my £350 budget. I’m really not looking for anything too advanced but just the best value for the price really!

Also to mention I wouldn’t need more then like 7 miles range

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
You noticed then ?
I can't speak for others, but my advice was given purely on experience with the items I've purchased. I've no experience of other products and don't get any reward for mentioning the items I have. You can be assured that if I come across any problems they will be reported here.
Nobody should feel compelled to take the advice! :rolleyes:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Just to add to your confusion and I haven’t read the entire post, but £350 budget is very small. A decent battery costs that much.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only way for a small battery is bespoke made one but these are stiil not cheap as one needs the very best cells.
I make my own the cost is still £100 using the very best current rated cells, my 6ah drinks bottle battery is about 1.5lbs and in low PAS assist with my KT set up can manage easily over 30 miles , curently on 30.9 miles for the charge and SOC sitting at 3.6v per cell.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For £350 you are looking at a legal 15.5mph kit , you might be able to scrape a hub kit together just but it means using a really cheapish 36v ebay battery .
A new rear cassette hub motor $80 - $100 and a decent KT controller kit $80 - $100 from China, but it will still need building in to a rim.
Then theirs always used stuuf on ebay if got cheap enough.