How to derestrict a Boost conversion kit?

slatepipe

Just Joined
May 10, 2024
Hi - first post. thanks for leeting me join

I've had a Boost bikes conversion kit installed on my old Muddy Fox for about a month now and am loving it so far. However i've noticed that when it cuts pwer when it reaches the 15.5 mph limit then the pedalling can feel a little sluggish. maybe that's just me, not sure. But I have been wondering how to derestrict the Boost system so that it doesnt cut the power at 15.5mph - can anyone offer any guidance on this or point me in the direction somewhere online of something that would do this for me? Ive been looking aorund online for the last few days but have drawn a blank so far. many thanks in advance for any help

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Just in case you didn't know: changing that would render the bike illegal to use as a standard pedalec;
you'd need insurance and various other details to ride it on the road, and could not legally ride it off road in any publicly accessible place (bridleway, cycle path, canal path, etc)

That said, many people have made such changes to other ebikes. The chances of being caught in you ride responsibly are very low unless you are unlucky enough to be in an accident.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ride responsibly, naaaa i ride at 30mph like a nutter :p

slatepipe

Just Joined
May 10, 2024
Just in case you didn't know: changing that would render the bike illegal to use as a standard pedalec;
you'd need insurance and various other details to ride it on the road, and could not legally ride it off road in any publicly accessible place (bridleway, cycle path, canal path, etc)

That said, many people have made such changes to other ebikes. The chances of being caught in you ride responsibly are very low unless you are unlucky enough to be in an accident.
Hi there, thanks for your reply. yes, I know it would make it illegal and as i drive as well i wouldnt want to end up with points on my licence and suchlike. I'm just wondering how i would go about changing it as there seem to be quite a lot of differing methods from what i've seen so far.
I dont ride it like a madman and only use it for my commute around the backroads in Lonodon.
thanks

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Hi there, thanks for your reply. yes, I know it would make it illegal and as i drive as well i wouldnt want to end up with points on my licence and suchlike.
Well forum rules, that everyone has apparently agreed to say;

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

So since forum members cannot encourage unlawful activity, it would be difficult for anyone to tell you how to make your bike in your own words "illegal".

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
rip the controller of it and get a new one and display :p more amps means more power :p

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Then sluggish feel after power cut off is your legs telling you that they miss the assistance. It's a bit like you've been riding a tandem with Bradley Wiggins as stoker, then he jumps off !

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you do manage to derestrict it, will the small capacity Boost battery with unknown cell type overheat and explode your legs off at higher sustained speeds? Could you momentarily break the sound barrier if it explodes on the rear rack?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
What are your de-restricted expectations? after upgrading from a 15a to 17a controller one bike i ran without restrictions for a while could accelerate upto 18-19 mph and then slowly creep upto 22 mph over a long flat stretch unassisted by pedal input, though at those speeds my legs dont work that fast with that bikes gears..

The impact those extra few mph had on the braking distance even with disk brakes (mechanical) fitted to the bike was SIGNIFICANT!