How to start?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Well tbh
60 mile round trip a day regular commute on a folder mmmmm

Might want to consider a Honda C125

Well tbh it's 30 but just wanted to make sure that it could definitely do that range! Tbf I'd probably actually use human power for a fair bit, but just wanted the option of cycling all the way by motor

Also I don't have my CBT licence yet

Brie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2019
Thanks. Out of interest, would that be better or would the Brompton electric foldable bike be better? It's not that I don't have the money. It's more that I'm frugal.. Aka a tight bastard
I’ve never ridden either, but I have the impression a Brompton is more a ‘round town’ bike. I’m getting the 15aH battery which should hopefully get me 40-50 miles. It’s costing around £650 to convert my bike, which I had unused in my garage for years. Have you seen the Woosh Zephyr B? It’s foldable and looks like it would be much more suited to your commute in my completely inexperienced opinion. Also under £1200 which should appeal to your frugal side. Or can you get a secure bike store outside your house, which would give you loads more options?

Reactions: anonymous

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I’ve never ridden either, but I have the impression a Brompton is more a ‘round town’ bike. I’m getting the 15aH battery which should hopefully get me 40-50 miles. It’s costing around £650 to convert my bike, which I had unused in my garage for years. Have you seen the Woosh Zephyr B? It’s foldable and looks like it would be much more suited to your commute in my completely inexperienced opinion. Also under £1200 which should appeal to your frugal side. Or can you get a secure bike store outside your house, which would give you loads more options?
This one?

It looks like it's only got a 12AH battery though. Also unsure of how you charge that?

Unfortunately I can't get outside secure storage. Does it fold as well as the Brompton too? Or at least close enough? I see what you're getting at though in a way what with the small tyres on the Brompton...

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It looks like it's only got a 12AH battery though. Also unsure of how you charge that?
36V * 12AH = 432WH, good for about 35-40 miles.
the battery has lock and keys, quite safe in public places.
You can remove it to charge indoors or charge it in situ, the charging port is covered by a rubber flap.

I also have a new 20" folding bike which folds smaller than the Zephyr, at sea at the moment. The first shipment is painted black though, same battery capacity (36V * 12AH):

None of them folds as neatly as the Brompton though.
I will have a kit specifically made for the Brompton in the new year.

Last edited:
Reactions: anonymous and Brie

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
the battery has lock and keys, quite safe in public places.
You can remove it to charge indoors or charge it in situ, the charging port is covered by a rubber flap.

I also have a new 20" folding bike which folds smaller than the Zephyr, at sea at the moment. The first shipment is painted black though, same battery capacity (36V * 12AH):

None of them folds as neatly as the Brompton though.
I will have a kit specifically made for the Brompton in the new year.
Thanks. When will the new ones arrive?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Range varies a huge amount depending on how much you rely on the motor, environment (particularly hilliness), weight, etc.

Bosch range assistant https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ shows the variation ... pretty much valid for non-Bosch bikes if you allow for battery size and motor type. Put in 400w battery and ActiveLine as an approximation for the Zephyr; and probably riding mode Tour. Then fill in the rest about weight, tyres, hills, etc. You'll see that 35-40 miles is certainly do-able (not like the silly 'up to' quoted for so many bikes), but that you may well only get 30 or a bit less.

It you tweak it a bit you will find you can get values 'up to' over 100 miles for 400w/ActiveLine/eco; which helps emphasize the silliness of values often quoted.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks. When will the new ones arrive?
in the new year. We assemble our bikes in Southend, some components are in another shipment, arriving in late January. We will be in time for the season for folding bikes starting in February.
The battery on the new bike is a lot more nickable than on the Zephyr because it is semi-in-frame, half exposed to thieves. The battery in the Zephyr is nigh impossible to steal.