Help! I need more power (not speed)

Ghola

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 22, 2018
Exeter
Hi Everyone

I need more power when I hit an incline/hill. For some lovely twist of fate I get 20mph on the flat and I love the kit. I want to maintain that as soon as I get on a hill, it drops off to 10/8mph, etc, I hate it. My job all boils down to how quick I get to a place.

What is the best advice on what to do please?

I just read about the shunt solder trick, any good, worth it.

I have a front hub kit from the lovely people at Woosh, over a year now, 4300 miles so far on it working as a cycle courier (Deliveroo/UberEats/Stuart) in Exeter. 250w/17ah36v Battery (that last an amazing 7/8hours all day on Throttle) not sure on the controller rating. Oh and I’m buying another 13/17amp battery tomorrow so I can do a more

TIA
Steve

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can ormally go to 30% extra power by soldering 30% of the shunt without problems as long as you have a reasonable battery.

After doing the mod, you should check to see how warm the controller gets. If you get any problems with heat, you can always go back by filing or crimping the shunt.

To solder the shunt, take the plate off the end of the controller opposite the wires. It should be there grinning at ou, otherwise you have to take all the screws out and slide out the pcb.

Try 20% first to see if it's enough power, then give another drop if you need more, but don't go past 30% of its length.

Reactions: Ghola

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
250w/17ah36v Battery (that last an amazing 7/8hours all day on Throttle) not sure on the controller rating.
That's a staggering amount of time, how many miles does that equate to? I'd be lucky to make it last an hour with no rider input.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can normally go to 30% extra power by soldering 30% of the shunt without problems as long as you have a reasonable battery.
it's not possible to do that on modern Lishui controllers. His controller looks like this inside:

• Informative
Reactions: Ghola and Artstu

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's a staggering amount of time, how many miles does that equate to? I'd be lucky to make it last an hour with no rider input.
that's possible because the XF07 has a lightweight core, if you try to pump more Amps into it, it will just raise the back EMF more quickly than a motor with a bigger core. If you want miles, the XF07 is difficult to beat.

• Informative
Reactions: Ghola and Artstu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Higher current won't enable the same speed when climbing but a more easier enabled climbing ability, for speed you need to consider higher voltage and maybe a current increase as well.
Trying to maintain the same flat speed on a climb may be better maximised with torque drive motor rather then a cadence drive.

Ghola

Feb 22, 2018
Exeter
Yeah, it’s amazing isn’t it. When I first took it out I was gobsmacked. I do about 40/50 miles a day all on throttle, PAS doesn’t work.

That's the problem when people don't tell us what they have.
Yeah sorry, it was more of a general see what it was about kinda question.

Thank for all the replies, I knew Woosh would come on and help out:p

So, if I read this right what we’re saying is I need to upgrade the controller/motor, etc, a new kit I guess hopefully being able to reuse both batteries. I assume I can and thank have to find a kit to match the output/specs of the battery?

I need to be able to go out to work for each session of 3/4 hours at a time and power through at max speed then pop home and swap batteries. What do you all suggest I do?

Cheers
Steve

Reactions: Artstu

Ghola

Feb 22, 2018
Exeter
Oh and I hate to ask this but are there any mods I can do my kit that will achieve what I need without blowing it up.?

Ghola

Feb 22, 2018
Exeter

Sorry, I can’t link to the actual page as on my mobile but this is the kit I have on Woosh’ online shop

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It could be said you have been riding your luck with no Torque arm/s (T/A's) on the front, though the Suntour has a meaty strong D/O area. They are used to prevent motor spin out which can and will damage the motor cable esp where it enters the hub.
I had a pair of T/A's with BPM in similar newer Suntour's just for safety, the Suntour's do have a good strong solid D/O area. The same motor with Rockshock forks didn't fair so well and broke both of the D/O's which are no where near as strong as the Suntour, T/A's prevent total spin out and me an accident.

Ghola

Feb 22, 2018
Exeter
It could be said you have been riding your luck with no Torque arm/s (T/A's) on the front, though the Suntour has a meaty strong D/O area. They are used to prevent motor spin out which can and will damage the motor cable esp where it enters the hub.
I had a pair of T/A's with BPM in similar newer Suntour's just for safety, the Suntour's do have a good strong solid D/O area. The same motor with Rockshock forks didn't fair so well and broke both of the D/O's which are no where near as strong as the Suntour, T/A's prevent total spin out and me an accident.
Ah ok, I’ve never heard of them, can you recommend some for me to fit and I’ll grab them next payday and whip em on, thank you.

Just watched a YT vid, I see what is does and yes, very handy. Thank again

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What forks is it in? How many torque arms do you have on it?
the XF07 does not need torque arm.
The BPM kit comes with torque arms.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Didn't you say that you had the BPM kit, if so did you fit the torque arms that were provided with it?
Ghola has the XF07 - he's looking for a bit more power but re-using the 36V 17AH HL battery.

Reactions: ebiker99