Help! I need more power (not speed)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have been naughty and running my XF08 @ 25 Amps. I know I shouldn't... :rolleyes: Today it and the 9 fet sine wave controller got a bit warm to the touch, shower water warm say 37°C. That is about 10°C warmer than air temperature at the moment.

When I can set the controller to 17 Amps I will but the BT software doesn't allow that. I will have to solder some higo connectors to it so that I can plug interesting stuff like my LCD-3 into it, the LCD-3 and the extension cord have julet plugs on...

Speaking of water and connector plugs I just noticed that the XT60 at the controller of my GSM bike has welded itself to the extension cord plug. 3750+ km and quite a few Basque rain storms have gotten the best of it after 2 years.

Reactions: Ghola

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
It could be said you have been riding your luck with no Torque arm/s (T/A's) on the front, though the Suntour has a meaty strong D/O area. They are used to prevent motor spin out which can and will damage the motor cable esp where it enters the hub.
I had a pair of T/A's with BPM in similar newer Suntour's just for safety, the Suntour's do have a good strong solid D/O area. The same motor with Rockshock forks didn't fair so well and broke both of the D/O's which are no where near as strong as the Suntour, T/A's prevent total spin out and me an accident.
i tore the dropouts on my first build, rear hub luckily as it spun out and split the cable... i had already replaced the hall sensors so i knew the wiring inside, so not a massive job to do

Reactions: Ghola

Ghola

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 22, 2018
Exeter
vfr is a bit obsessed with torque arms because he lost two before but it has not much to do with this thread.
You need either more Amps or a CD kit to leverage on the bike's gearing to get more NM at the wheel. Or both.
I could sell you a Gospade CD kit or you can get a BBS02 from Eclispse to work with your 17AH battery.
You will need to replace the cradle when you change the kit to a CD kit, email support@wooshbikes.co.uk when you get the new kit. The Gospade is labelled 250W, the BBS02 is labelled as 500W.
I have got lost with this, what is a CD kit?

I like the sound of the BBS one, will this give me more power when I hit a hill allowing me to power up up at the same speed I get on the flat?

I am rejecting orders/work when I see a hill and want to start accepting them. I DO NOT want 7/8mph going up a hill. I’ve got £500 to spend or more if necessary.

Also, would you know if the BBS kit work with those Magura MT5e hydraulic brakes? I bought the “closer” to match the Open system I have. They cost £200 and don’t fancy making them useless

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
CD kit is a crank drive kit. They drive the motor through your regular gears, so in the same way you benefit from a low gear going uphill, the electric motor can benefit.

A motor running slowly is quite inefficient; with CD it can ran fast while the bike goes slowly.

• Agree
Reactions: Ocsid

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have got lost with this, what is a CD kit?

I like the sound of the BBS one, will this give me more power when I hit a hill allowing me to power up up at the same speed I get on the flat?

I am rejecting orders/work when I see a hill and want to start accepting them. I DO NOT want 7/8mph going up a hill. I’ve got £500 to spend or more if necessary.

Also, would you know if the BBS kit work with those Magura MT5e hydraulic brakes? I bought the “closer” to match the Open system I have. They cost £200 and don’t fancy making them useless
A 500w crank-drive is not a good system for what you do unless you've changed. What you need is a workhorse of a motor, which means something like a rear 500w Bafang BPM or CST running at 48v and around 22 amps. You have to buy everything separately because there are no good kits. Total with the battery would be around £700.

These people are good to deal with and should be able to supply a complete kit for something less - maybe £550 to £600. You have to email them your requirements and ask what they can provide, like:
Qty 1 48v 500W rear cassette motor with spokes and 26" rim, max rpm >260 rpm
Qty 1 KT sinewave controller 22 amps
Qty 1 KT LCD3
Qty 1 PAS
Qty 1 Thumb throttle
Qty 1 QT battery
Shipping to UK

Email: panjin@mxusebikekit.com

Last edited:

Ghola

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 22, 2018
Exeter
A 500w crank-drive is not a good system for what you do unless you've changed. What you need is a workhorse of a motor, which means something like a rear 500w Bafang BPM or CST running at 48v and around 22 amps. You have to buy everything separately because there are no good kits. Total with the battery would be around £700.

These people are good to deal with and should be able to supply a complete kit for something less - maybe £550 to £600. You have to email them your requirements and ask what they can provide, like:
Qty 1 48v 500W rear cassette motor with spokes and 26" rim, max rpm >260 rpm
Qty 1 KT sinewave controller 22 amps
Qty 1 KT LCD3
Qty 1 PAS
Qty 1 Thumb throttle
Qty 1 QT battery
Shipping to UK

Email: panjin@mxusebikekit.com

Thanks Vfr, do you mind if i message you?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It looks suitably meaty. When is it coming?

One thing I noticed:Normally CST motors have a flat side-plate on the cassette side to minimise the off-set of the spoke flanges from the centre, but that motor has a double step. Is it a very narrow motor? How much are the spoke flanges off-set from the centre?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is it a very narrow motor?
Here are the dimensions of spoke flanges: 156mm x 38mm.
For comparison, the Bafang BPM: 168mm x 40mm

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited: