Identifying commercial posters

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
There are a few discussions going on with regard to knowing who has a commercial interest or not.

What would members like to see to help them distinguish who is who?

For example,

A member rating of Business User
Something in the username e.g. Business_username. Whizz-bikes_Geoff
(sorry if there is a geoff at whizz-bikes, I didn't mean to single you out!)

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
ID Banner

Hi Russ

how about a coloured strip across the top of the posting that clearly and obviously identifies business users at a glance?

Elaine

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I'm a mod on a couple of other forums using vbulletin and its fairly easy to create a user group with custom user colour. Perhaps make use of this?

in germany we make it very easy, in the www.pedelecform.de
every dealer must have a colored nickname and under the name is written "Händler" (dealer)
so everybody can see that there is a dealer who give the answer.

regards
frank

look´s this way

Attachments

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
There are a few discussions going on with regard to knowing who has a commercial interest or not.

What would members like to see to help them distinguish who is who?

For example,

A member rating of Business User
Something in the username e.g. Business_username. Whizz-bikes_Geoff
(sorry if there is a geoff at whizz-bikes, I didn't mean to single you out!)
I do think we need a distinction between an ordinary member and a business member. And "business member" should include anyone with commercial interests in a specific brand or company, but who may not be trading themselves.

I think a simple, immediate indicator for business member posts, would be to have all posts by registered business members headed with a different colour, eg the header/title has a blue background instead of green.

I also think it would be a good idea to make it mandatory for business members to have their business name or company name in the signature and make the signature stand out more, either with an icon, or some colour.

If business members are posting advertising or promoting products, to comply with the current EU laws, they would need to have their full business trading address shown in their signature, or accessible on a separate page linked from their signature/name.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a "register" of all business members, which is accessible to all, and it should show the full business name, date of registration, trading address, contact details, and what products they sell, or what brands they have interests in.

I think something along these lines would give some protection to members so they can see who has commercial motivation, and also where people are trading from, how long they have been business members etc. It will also help business members establish themselves, show they are bonafide registered businesses, and properly promote their businesses or interests openly without having to worry about conflict of interests.

Why not consider introducing a small annual charge too for business members since they are going to profit from the forum?

Paul

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Russ

can you please tell the forum why you picked on me and banned me from the forum after being register for 3 days I know I broke the rules of the form after reading them I the emailed you and apologized to you . You still banned me and ignored me . And total ignore my request to have prices to advertise to comply with your forum rules

Have you an agenda that nobody Knows About

Also Why have you let this 17 year old Ed Fry with absolutely NO Knowledge

Take over Using this site to start his e bike Magazine

will I have to start my own pedelecs forum I own www.pedelecs.org.uk
domain name the Vbullitetin software $195 my sons computer programmer

Frank

C

Cyclezee

My post was slightly ahead of you Morphix, but you really thought this through in detail. A register sounds a good idea and I can't see any objections to that or am I being naive?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The main criteria should be to make it simple and clear to identify anyone connected with the cycle trade. To this end, would it be possible to add the word, TRADE after the chosen user name of the trade member. That way it is clear for all to see.

If the trader wants to provide further information regarding the nature of their association with the cycle trade, they can provide that in the signature.

Dont let's make it too complicated chaps.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
My post was slightly ahead of you Morphix, but you really thought this through in detail. A register sounds a good idea and I can't see any objections to that or am I being naive?
Great minds think alike ;-) The register could serve as a directory too, which might help the businesses as people could search there by location, or for specific products.. it might even attract more businesses and suppliers of stuff, like electronics etc.. but not sure how members would feel about that?

C

Cyclezee

Great minds think alike ;-) The register could serve as a directory too, which might help the businesses as people could search there by location, or for specific products.. it might even attract more businesses and suppliers of stuff, like electronics etc.. but not sure how members would feel about that?
A Directory is there already Morphix via a link under Main Site Navigation,

only I can't get those links to work:confused: I'm running Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7. Have reported this to Russ Scott.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
A Directory is there already Morphix via a link under Main Site Navigation,

only I can't get those links to work:confused: I'm running Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7. Have reported this to Russ Scott.
Oh yes, never even noticed it before. Link not working in Google Chrome either :-/

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The main criteria should be to make it simple and clear to identify anyone connected with the cycle trade. To this end, would it be possible to add the word, TRADE after the chosen user name of the trade member. That way it is clear for all to see.

If the trader wants to provide further information regarding the nature of their association with the cycle trade, they can provide that in the signature.

Dont let's make it too complicated chaps.
Or simply place it under the user name like we have 'senior member' etc now...fleck has Guru so it can be done.....

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
There are some good suggestions in these recent postings. Perhaps the moderator)s) should now spend a little time mulling over any possible changes as there's no rush.

I have no doubt that all genuine trade people will be happy to conform with any changes promulgated as it will then be easy to spot the charlatans and potential fly-by-night chancers operating out of a rented lock-up.

For what it's worth, it's my belief that by ensuring proper identification of traders within the forum, the forum will be a better place.

Indalo

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
There are some good suggestions in these recent postings. Perhaps the moderator)s) should now spend a little time mulling over any possible changes as there's no rush.

I have no doubt that all genuine trade people will be happy to conform with any changes promulgated as it will then be easy to spot the charlatans and potential fly-by-night chancers operating out of a rented lock-up.

For what it's worth, it's my belief that by ensuring proper identification of traders within the forum, the forum will be a better place.

Indalo
Absolutely agree.

Some members already make it very clear as to what company or organisation they are representing. Others, unforunately, don't. I appreciate the advice and knowledge of all however I do want the knowledge to help to determine whether or not there may be a commercial interest involved. Nothing wrong with commercial interests however I want to be able to rationalise information read on these pages.

Yes, I'm all for a clear statement or illustration.
Regards
vectra