Illegal electric bike fastest in Oxford commuter challenge

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
I'd rather say that it's a case of almost certainly being able to pedal very quickly. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The bike being illegal is an assumption which does not stand up to even casual scrutiny.

A reasonably fit cyclist on a non-assisted bike could average 19mph over just seven miles.

Thousands of club riders up and down the country aim for that sort of average speed - but over a much longer distance - in sportives and other organised events.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
It looked a pretty flat route to me ?
Even I could manage that for 7 miles and my bike is legal.....ok....I seem to have lost that back wheel little sensor thing....but......ssshhh lol

Great publicity for electric bikes though......

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was an average of 19 mph though. Depending on commuting disruptions like stopping for traffic lights, slowing or stopping for roundabouts and other traffic etc, the maximums reached may well have needed to be much higher to get that average. Getting much over 20 mph on the flat unassisted on the average flat handlebar e-bike isn't anything like as easy as on a decent unpowered drop handlebar road bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

It looked a pretty flat route to me ?
Even I could manage that for 7 miles and my bike is legal.....ok....I seem to have lost that back wheel little sensor thing....but......ssshhh lol

Great publicity for electric bikes though......

As it happens, I've got a spare. Shall I send it?

The bike was a Bionx of some sort - it certainly looked pretty legal. He probably took a short-cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
You can see an electric bike with a Bionx shaped battery at 30 seconds in the BBC video - a rather upright riding position obviously helped by the motor.
I have done a bit of goggling on the winner. It turns out he is a 54 year old lawyer, who gives lectures on electric bikes taking the puff out of cycling! I wonder what he says about the legal aspects of using his bike on the road.

It looks like he has converyed a bike using one of the illegal Bionx kits - he links the BionX electric bike motor systems web page to explain what he has done.

As a keen unassisted cyclist before going electric at his 50th birthday, he is doubtless still pretty fit. But for the reasons Flecc gives this was highly unlikelyto have been a legal ride into Oxford, stopping at red lights and using a ebike in a legal configuration.

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
As it happens, I've got a spare. Shall I send it?
LOL.....you are sooooo kind dave but I will just continue searching the house 24/7 for it !! ROFLOL

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
It was an average of 19 mph though. Depending on commuting disruptions like stopping for traffic lights, slowing or stopping for roundabouts and other traffic etc, the maximums reached may well have needed to be much higher to get that average. Getting much over 20 mph on the flat unassisted on the average flat handlebar e-bike isn't anything like as easy as on a decent unpowered drop handlebar road bike.

Lights? :confused::p

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
So the pro-electric bike lobby might have fielded a ringer.

Pity there was no one on a horse - we might have found Shergar.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
You can see an electric bike with a Bionx shaped battery at 30 seconds in the BBC video - a rather upright riding position obviously helped by the motor.
I have done a bit of goggling on the winner. It turns out he is a 54 year old lawyer, who gives lectures on electric bikes taking the puff out of cycling! I wonder what he says about the legal aspects of using his bike on the road.

It looks like he has converyed a bike using one of the illegal Bionx kits - he links the BionX electric bike motor systems web page to explain what he has done.

As a keen unassisted cyclist before going electric at his 50th birthday, he is doubtless still pretty fit. But for the reasons Flecc gives this was highly unlikelyto have been a legal ride into Oxford, stopping at red lights and using a ebike in a legal configuration.
Good luck to him I say :D A true pioneer.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
The Oxford Mail claims the second person was on a standard bike and also arrived at 22 minutes. Bikes win the wacky commuter challenge (From Oxford Mail)

To be honest it isn't anything I didn't already know. My average ride on ebike is 2-3 times quicker than the bus on average. Even over a short distance of 3 miles I've beaten private hire taxis, I reached the destination before the taxi all 3 times.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
This commute takes between 30 and 45 mins in the car depending on time of day (I don't take that route in the summer holidays!). Goodness knows how long it would take by public transport - around 1.5hrs probably.

I'm always quicker than the car when I take my bike :)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Averaging 19 mph (so almost certainly illegal) an electric bike was the fastest in a 7 mile commuter time trial challenge into Oxford, beating cars, buses, and everything else.

See BBC News - Eynsham cycle path campaigners hold commuter challenge
I don't think that's particularly fast or difficult on a decent lightweight adequately powered bike for a fit person who pedals. I can maintain about 20-21mph on my bike on the flat using full power (36v/250W) if I pedal in highest gear. I sometimes go a bit higher if I really pedal like crazy lol.. My controller is road legal restricted to 15.5mph cut out.