Incompatible motor and controller connectors (9-pin and 3-phase)? What are my options?

e_kid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 1, 2017
UK
Hi all.

I have a Bafang SWX02 motor left over from an old kit that I used to have, and I recently bought a new Kunteng (KT) sine-wave controller for it. However, stupidly I did not check the compatibility of the power cables. The Bafang has a 9-pin connector, and the diagram for the controller shows that it has a 'three-phase' connector. I'm not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but it seems that these are my available options:

1. Buy some kind of converter to match them (I havn't had any luck find anything so far).

2. Buy a new motor with a 'three-phase' connector, and then later a new controller with a 9-pin connector (do these exist?) for a separate ebike build (I plan on building more ebikes in the future).

3. (this is the option I'm dreading) Something involving cutting up the cables, and building matching connectors. I'd rather aviod this option, as like I said above, I plan on doing more builds in the near future, so don't mind buying new components.

I hope this makes sence. I've also attached an image of the connectors on the motor and controller. Thanks!

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if your controller has no Hall, just blue, green and yellow phase wires and you have a 9-pin male connector at the motor, you need a 9-pin motor cable like this:

and leave the Hall wires unconnected.

• Informative
Reactions: e_kid

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon