Interesting info on the effect of bike weight

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Guys

For those interested in the effects of a bikes weight, or the differences between Aluminium and steel alloys, I have found an interesting link to an article here which is quite educational.

John

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
So a dozen less spokes would make a seconds difference but if it was on an electric bike it would make about half a second difference over a 20 minute uphill ride. :eek:
:D

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
So a dozen less spokes would make a seconds difference but if it was on an electric bike it would make about half a second difference over a 20 minute uphill ride. :eek:
:D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

that might make the difference of getting to the toilet on time or not, then you would know how valuable half a second is :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I fully agree with that article on using steel frames, just as light in practical terms and much more comfortable. I think it sad that e-bike manufacturers blindly stick to alloy just because it's fashionable. Our bikes would be so much nicer to ride with steel frames, and potentially safer too.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Good to see someone analyse something properly and quantify things.

I've just had a very pleasant 28 mile ride on my extremely comfortable steel bike - that has now done over 3,000 miles since I got it in February, so you might guess where my sympathies lie!

I believe that Aluminium bikes can end up heavier than steel because people start wanting suspension forks to compensate for the harsh ride!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I believe that Aluminium bikes can end up heavier than steel because people start wanting suspension forks to compensate for the harsh ride!
Very true.

I've never ridden a titanium frame one, but with the best e-bikes from £1500 to £3500, I don't think we could afford to try it on our steeds.