Is a Wisper 806fe folder a good idea?

richardmu

Pedelecer
May 30, 2009
Hi,

I have a Wisper 905se Sport with the bigger battery and am very pleased with it. I do not commute but fancy a folder to go in the car boot and go off exploring whenever and wherever the mood takes me, particularly through urban areas.

I am around 5'10" and 14st and would appreciate your opinion as to whether the new 806fe would be a good choice. Would the performance be a big disappointment after the 905?

Also, there appears to be no discounts available at the moment so I am tempted to wait a few months and see what is available in early 2010. Maybe another new model?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
why not just get a rack for the car and take the 905...........

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I would ask wisper how it compares to your 905,i think they are pretty honest and would know far better than anybody else,how the two bikes compare and would also know what motor is used,if it is the same motor it should be a good climber but a fair bit slower on the flat.

richardmu

Pedelecer
May 30, 2009
Hi,

I've tried a rack before on a previous car and found they are a lot of hassle for a quick outing. Takes ages to get the rack on the car and then the bike secured on the rack, never mind the back ache and the scratches on the car!

However, the old rack does not fit on my VW R32 so that's out of the question.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Pending David coming in, I think the 806fe is a good choice for this purpose. I use my Quando based Q bike in this way as a car boot folder for trips away and it's great for that, but for it's 25 kilos which is a bit much for lifting in and out of the car. The 806fe is only 19 kilos, much better, and only a kilo heavier than the typical nano-Brompton setup which only has 16" wheels and assist to 13/14 mph.

The 806fe's 20" wheels, larger battery and power assist to 15.5 mph give it an edge in all round terms, as does the second chainwheel which enables pedalling at higher speeds with reasonable cadences. It's motor may be a little less powerful than the 905 one, but it has the smaller wheel mechanical advantage for climbing which tends to offset any shortfall in that respect. However, David can confirm whether the motor is actually slightly less powerful.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm with Eddieo on this, no question...just get a decent rack.

....Mike

richardmu

Pedelecer
May 30, 2009
One major problem with a rack is lack of security.

I wouldn't feel comfortable going down into Bristol or any other major city to try the cycle paths and leave the bike on the back of the car whilst I go off for lunch etc. I would be paranoid that the bike would be gone when I got back! At least if it's in the boot it's out of sight.

Richard

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
One major problem with a rack is lack of security.

I wouldn't feel comfortable going down into Bristol or any other major city to try the cycle paths and leave the bike on the back of the car whilst I go off for lunch etc. I would be paranoid that the bike would be gone when I got back! At least if it's in the boot it's out of sight.

Richard
we have a 905 and a 705 with the same motor battery etc... But I dont really like riding the 705 its a different experience. The 905 is such a comfortable and enjoyable bike.

there are racks and racks, Thule make some good ones. sure you cant leave it on rack, you just have to take it of and secure it somewhere. I often secure mine with a D Lock through the towing ring. with a towbar rack you can use a heavy motorbike chain through the frame.... so much more secure.

my 905 fits in the back of our focus have you tried this

By the way there is an 805 on ebay :)

Item number: 280421003836

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
By the way there is an 805 on ebay :)

Item number: 280421003836
There's no comparison with the 806 though. The 805 is the typical very low geared and not very capable Chinese folder, also sold as the Powacycle Puma, these having none of the bigger bike characteristics of the 806 which is a totally new design.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Thanks Flecc for your input.

The 806 is certainly a different bike to the old 805's.

However it will not have the punch associated with the 504Wh 905's. A smaller battery not only reduces range but also has an effect on the power delivered by the motor. The 806fe has a 24V 9A motor so you will certainly notice the difference.

Before you decide either way Richard I suggest you try one.

We are in stock now so if you speak to any of our dealers if they don't have one in their shop we can get a bike there very quickly for you.

All the best

David

richardmu

Pedelecer
May 30, 2009
Thanks David.

I will try and get down to see Alistair at Atmosphere. I saw he had a couple in the shop a few weeks ago so I will give him a call and see if he has one on demo.

Richard

Heavenfire

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2009
Consistent spec?

Hi all.

I'm joining the thread because my wife and I have also decided on the 806fe, winning the competition against cheaper options (Alien Pulsar) and more powerful ones (Greenedge Blackstar2) because of the all-round quality and Wisper's presence on this site!

Looking at suppliers though, the quoted spec seems to vary. Some quote just 14 gears All-About-the-Bike and Electric Cycle Company for example. Another I've seen pictures handlebars with those nice 'palm rests' (can't rememember which site now). Are you able to comment, David - and perhaps suggest a dealer near to Newcastle-upon-Tyne?

Chris

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Again how about a Brompton fitted with a Nano kit :confused:

At 19kg the 806fe is not exactly light for a folder!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
my wife and I have also decided on the 806fe, winning the competition against cheaper options (Alien Pulsar) and more powerful ones (Greenedge Blackstar2) because of the all-round quality and Wisper's presence on this site!
I think you have made a sound choice, and might well make the same one if buying now. I agree completely about the value of David of Wisper's presence here, and the transparent nature of their business and philosophy. They seem to be in it for the long haul, which is encouraging.
I should just to put in a good word for Greenedge, though. I have had a very good level of support and assistance from them. I had one or two problems with my handlebars in the early days of ownership, and they were most helpful, sending explanatory photos, a replacement folding handlebar assembly of a different type, etc. And when I visited their premises, they threw in a free service.

Heavenfire

Sep 27, 2009
Panniers

.... also, if David reads this before replying ...
The Wisper brochure refers to a range of accessories (there are panniers shown in the Wisper site Gallery). I can't see any link to these on their site, however, so I can't find out whether anything is available for the 806.

Heavenfire

Sep 27, 2009
806fe or 806 Alpino?

Now, just to complicate things, I see there is another version of the 806, the Alpino Wisper Bikes. There seem to be quite a few differences from the 806fe ... different motor, different gears, 6 power modes ... and higher price. Does anyone know what the difference will translate to in use? It would be used for a mixture of road and trail, both by my small 8 stone wife and myself (6'1" & almost 15stone).

Chris.

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Following that link to Wisper's website, looking at the 806 Alpino, can I ask if its actually a 24V or a 36V setup? I ask, as it claims the motor is 36V, the battery is 24V and the charger, back again to 36V :p

Checking the 806fe page, only the charger is claimed as 36V :confused:

While I'm on, why is the claimed range for the Alpino so much less than that claimed for the fe (19 miles as against 30)?

Heavenfire

Sep 27, 2009
Discrepancies

I eagerly await replies to your question, Teejay. I do wonder whether some dealers pay much attention to what goes on their sites.

Chris

dicklaiwisper

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2008
806Alpino

Hi 806Alpino is a 36V bike with 9ah panasonic cells battery. With 8 speeds Alfine gear box as well as the front LED head light(power comes from the bike battery). LCD pannel shows the speed/range/6 levels pedal assist choice. White frame! It will be a fantasic bike!

Cheers!