Is the Yadea V7 Legal?

guitarwolf

Just Joined
Feb 15, 2021
Hey there. Brand new here. I've got a little bit of a head scratcher here. The Yadea V7 is supposed to be an electric bicycle. It has a chain, it has pedals and goes at 25km/h. Erider have them on there website (link below)I had a model 15 a couple of years ago which caused problems due to it looking exactly like a moped well except for the pedals. I think the Yadea seems more believable as in it's not trying as hard to look like a moped. I'm fairly young so was looking for something that I could hop on and go. What do you guys think. Thanks.

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
According to the manual the motor has Rated motor power of 400W. It therefore exceeds 250W & does not comply to UK ebike legislation.

Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
According to the spec on the front page, it's 250w. Which do you believe?
If it's twist and go on the throttle, as it claims, and you don't have to pedal first - then it's illegal.
One thing is for certain, it looks like a scooter you will be endlessly pulled for not having numberplates, a helmet, tax, insurance and will spend endless fun hours at the roadside explaining to the latest suspicious, perplexed constable that it's actually a bike.
Maybe there's some sort of official test certificate you could get, independant of the manufacturers, that says it's a bike. I don't know of one though.
Lot of money to spend speculatively.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
They weigh 49kg unladen, which begs the question as to who would be daft enough to want one in the first place?

The bumpf clearly states the twist and go throttle allows it to reach 15mph, so it isn't legal.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it has pedals I can't see if being fantastic to ride as a normal bike, on shared paths expect some grief. Tbh they are pushing the boat out a bit far to be treated as pedelecs.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
More from their sales pitch
  • The operator of an E RIDER Model 21 is not required to provide a breath or blood sample
Sure that is false information.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
  • The operator of an E RIDER Model 21 is not required to provide a breath or blood sample
It's correct as long as the bike is a pedelec. To be a pedelec, the motor must be rated at 250w or less (tick), it must have pedals that can operate it safely (probably tick), it must have a max speed of no more than 15.5 mph (tick), and the power must stop when you stop pedalling. It all hinges on that last one. Normally, there's a setting on these type scooters, where you can have the throttle independent or pedalling dependant. You only have to air-pedal, which is basically all you can do on these scooters because of the gearing. Completely independent throttle is allowed up to 6km/h.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They weigh 49kg unladen, which begs the question as to who would be daft enough to want one in the first place?

The bumpf clearly states the twist and go throttle allows it to reach 15mph, so it isn't legal.
Try one and you'll see. They have very high torque "250w" motors and a lot of very nice features, like lights that light up the road, very good hydraulic brakes, nice suspension, exceptional comfort compared with a normal bike, built in security systems (Eskuta) and decent storage.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’m sure i read somewhere that if you’re caught drunk on a push bike you could end up with points on your driving license.
I suspect some one will either confirm or disprove that.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I would suggest that the pdf is from the manufacturer but the website of maybe from the seller - the seller is basically saying it is legal - which it isn't - but they don;t want you to know that so they put up the things that you can confirm

but anyway - if it is twist and go - and is not pre2016 - then it is not legal unless registered as a moped and you obey all the laws for mopeds
and if you are going to do that why not get a faster machine

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I’m sure i read somewhere that if you’re caught drunk on a push bike you could end up with points on your driving license.
Maybe you did, but it's not true. There are some things they can charge you with if you're completely legless, but they have no impact on your driving licence. They can't breathalise you, so you'd have to be drunk beyond all reasonable doubt for them to do anything..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A push bike is just that it's not a motor vehicle and it isn't licenced, and if you don't have a licence any way the story is nonsense.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Maybe you did, but it's not true. There are some things they can charge you with if you're completely legless, but they have no impact on your driving licence. They can't breathalise you, so you'd have to be drunk beyond all reasonable doubt for them to do anything..
Well, not quite.
Yes correct, you can't receive any points on your licence. But strangely you can be banned from driving. Apparently this can be handled under the Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 which gives the courts the power to ban someone from driving for any offence, driving or otherwise. (Obviously only a consideration if you have a driving licence and actually drive).

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, not quite.
Yes correct, you can't receive any points on your licence. But strangely you can be banned from driving. Apparently this can be handled under the Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 which gives the courts the power to ban someone from driving for any offence, driving or otherwise. (Obviously only a consideration if you have a driving licence and actually drive).

TTFN
John.
Even that is not quite right John, driving bans are regularly imposed upon people who have no driving licence, usually when they have been caught driving unlicenced. The ban period then takes effect from anytime when they apply for a driving licence.

• Informative
Reactions: snafu

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Ah ok, yes, I just found the act I was referring to above and it does say "For a disqualification to be possible under this provision, you don’t have to hold a driving licence – you can be disqualified from holding or obtaining a licence. ".

Good info, Thanks. :)

TTFN
John.

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 33385

There's not a chance in hell you'd get the claimed range with that battery and a bike weighing 49KG! 20 miles more like, if you're lucky! It'd be great to have those lights, suspension, storage etc....