is this a good time to buy a new ebike......?

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
"That's very kind of them to loan you a bike for a week. When you had returned the bike,were they expecting you to place an order or did you just say that you had a great time and would get back to them in a few years time."

The bike is a demo bike - nobody wanted to ride it that week as it was probably too cold. I liked the bike, but not the riding position. It was easy to pedal it above 25kph and I really see no need for the more powerful class. If I want to go fast I use my motorbike.
BAH48,

I now do understand,at the end of the day the right choice has to be made,because i was caught out initially when rushing myself into buying my first ebike then was so disappointed in my rubbish choice.
Please dont ask me what was the name of the bike,because i am embarrassed to say.

Mountainsport.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Take your time, ask plenty of questions about the bike and back up service. But most importantly try and find the time to test some if you can ;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Please dont ask me what was the name of the bike,because i am embarrassed to say.

Mountainsport.

OK, someone's got to do it....

Mountainsport old chap, what was the name of that rubbish bike you bought?

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear

Mountainsport old chap, what was the name of that rubbish bike you bought?
Old CHAP ????.........oooo....watch out....hell hath no fury....and all that lol :eek:

Lynda :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered today.

Taff old bean, what have you ordered?

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham

Taff old bean, what have you ordered?
Ha ha. Knew someone would bite.
Neo Cross, with thorn proof tubes and Marathon Plus tyres.
Seven to ten days can't wait...

Hiking in Snowdonia tomorrow, weather looks good.:cool:

mr_chompers

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2010
Not if they are powered by the Go-Swiss motor. ;)

The GO-SWISS system is of course capable of regeneration. Unfortunately, this ability can, and is, used to set a maximum speed at which the machine can be pedalled. The three examples of Go-Swiss powered machines I have tried all demonstrated this annoying speed limiting. My own experiences showed this occured at between 17-18 mph. What happens when riding, is a rapid, silent acceleration up to 18 mph, at which point the motor switches to regen mode. The harder you try to pedal past this speed, the stronger the regen comes in....and it cannot be switched off. By the way, freewheeling down a hill is not effected, so long as the pedals are not used....you can go as fast down the hill as your nerves will allow.
I just want to update with some info. If one buys a swissdrive kit, as apposed to the Cube Epo or others with built in swissdrive, this behavior is absent. I put a Go Swissdrive on my Trek 8.5, and I can happily pedal up to 45kmh with no regen kicking in, no brick wall. I am sure this behavior is super frustrating for these expensive bikes, but the motor and controller itself are a dream, with tons of torque even in the lower settings, so just want to keep people from shying away from the bare kit.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Thanks for the update mr_chompers, that's good news indeed. The silly way the speed limiting was implemented on ready-to-ride machines really spoiled a remarkably powerful and totally silent drive system.

Last edited:

mr_chompers

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2010
Thanks for the update mr_chompers, that's good news indeed. The silly way the speed limiting was implemented on ready-to-ride machines really spoiled a remarkably powerful and totally silent drive system.
It truly is silent. I cannot hear any noise over the sound of the wheels on the pavement. I had a Kalkhoff Pro Connect several years ago, and while I liked it, the power and silence of the SwissDrive is a definite upgrade imo.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
It truly is silent. I cannot hear any noise over the sound of the wheels on the pavement. I had a Kalkhoff Pro Connect several years ago, and while I liked it, the power and silence of the SwissDrive is a definite upgrade imo.
This year's Pro Connect comes with a very similar drive and a battery that offers 55% greater capacity than the Swissdrive - should be getting the first of them in our showrooms in the next week or so. It is very quiet indeed, I remember that from test rides at Kalkhoff last year.

2013 Kalkhoff Pro Connect Xion electric bikes

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I bought my bike this time last year two days after its arrival the weather changed from warm sunny days to monsoon, hurricane like winds which lasted .. .........well all year.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
KTM Panasonic hub drive (47v motor/battery) is silent and a great bike. We have one already in stock, we bought this instead of one of the bikes with the Swiss Drive motor. Like the Storck but felt Panasonic hub drive was a better alternative.

KTM Electric Bikes electric bikes folding bikes

David

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
KTM Panasonic hub drive (47v motor/battery) is silent and a great bike. We have one already in stock, we bought this instead of one of the bikes with the Swiss Drive motor. Like the Storck but felt Panasonic hub drive was a better alternative.

KTM Electric Bikes electric bikes folding bikes

David
So 47v and an 8.8Ah battery is basically 413Wh.... the 400% assist looks pretty impressive but to be honest that battery it looks about 1/2 what you'd need to really be able to use the assistance available for anything more than a few miles before running out of juice. :confused: