is this kit ok ?

hoodwinked

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
staffordshire
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bicycle-Conversion-Kit-E-Bike-36V-250W-Motor-Speed-26-Front-Wheel-/311702879759?hash=item4892f07e0f:g:y0QAAOSwZQRYbWdb

that's the kit I got from ebay ....planning on converting my girlfriends Carrera valour im not bothered its the female version you cant tell these days with all the new bikes

anyway im basically wondering what battery im best getting....seen some on ebay but thought id come ask on here first ....I know you only get what you pay for ect but money is tight n its simply going be a bike to go out for a ride along the canals ect on a nice sunday morning when ive a child free day...not often haha
ive heard good and bad things about ebay batteries so if anyone has any good sellers to recoment that would be helpful.
thanks P

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
hi there,

I have had a look over the kit you have ordered and it seems ok to me although from what I have seen the older style connectors that kit has tend to be a bit more of a pain to fit etc. have you fitted the kit yet?
Also what kind of amp do you want your battery to be? will help to narrow down exactly what it is you want to get, that way you will know how much it will be to buy. hopefully I can manage to get you some information to help you out

Ross

Reactions: hoodwinked

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bicycle-Conversion-Kit-E-Bike-36V-250W-Motor-Speed-26-Front-Wheel-/311702879759?hash=item4892f07e0f:g:y0QAAOSwZQRYbWdb

that's the kit I got from ebay ....planning on converting my girlfriends Carrera valour im not bothered its the female version you cant tell these days with all the new bikes

anyway im basically wondering what battery im best getting....seen some on ebay but thought id come ask on here first ....I know you only get what you pay for ect but money is tight n its simply going be a bike to go out for a ride along the canals ect on a nice sunday morning when ive a child free day...not often haha
ive heard good and bad things about ebay batteries so if anyone has any good sellers to recoment that would be helpful.
thanks P
I have been using Chinese made carrier mounted batteries for 2 years now with no problems. Paid £240 for 10Amh with charger. They were LiPo4 chemistry. Unfortunately the Ebay seller no longer does batteries but there are lots that do. You are lucky as a frame mounted bottle battery will fit the Valour frame.Dave8eh has made batteries using Aldi water bottles...very light and c £100 for 7Ah? Look for the post.

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
I have been using Chinese made carrier mounted batteries for 2 years now with no problems. Paid £240 for 10Amh with charger. They were LiPo4 chemistry. Unfortunately the Ebay seller no longer does batteries but there are lots that do. You are lucky as a frame mounted bottle battery will fit the Valour frame.Dave8eh has made batteries using Aldi water bottles...very light and c £100 for 7Ah? Look for the post.
That sounds rather interesting to be honest ill have to take a look myself! as for the cost of the 10AH battery I'm sure there are some companies out there that do them at a similar price to that, not very many though, batteries are usually pretty reliable I have found as well in terms of ebay or company based.

Ross

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would think the controller is 7a rated so 14/15a max.
Any battery greater then 10ah will be ok, but the more ah usually the better as cells will be less stressed and range will be that much better.
A 17.5ah/630wh shaped 09/ Dolphin battery with LG cells can be had for £249 from a German vendor on ebay. Sounds like 3500mah cells used in a 10s 5p configuration whether they are top notch MJ1's is another matter.

D

Deleted member 4366

hi there,

I have had a look over the kit you have ordered and it seems ok to me although from what I have seen the older style connectors that kit has tend to be a bit more of a pain to fit etc. have you fitted the kit yet?
Also what kind of amp do you want your battery to be? will help to narrow down exactly what it is you want to get, that way you will know how much it will be to buy. hopefully I can manage to get you some information to help you out

Ross
It's not a very good kit because it has very bad PAS control, as OP will find out when he gets it going. There's no way to adjust the PAS power. My guess is that there will also be a delay before the PAS engages and run-on when you stop pedalling. Also, it's a square wave controller, which will make the motor very noisy at low speed under power.

It's not clear what that switch on the throttle does. It connects to the brown and yellow wires which go back to the controller Normally, one would use them to connect the ignition wire to the battery positive. Hopefully, that's what it does. If not, there will be no way to switch off the controller except by switching off or disconnecting the battery. Please let us know if the throttle LEDs and the power goes off with that switch.

For not a lot more than that price, you can buy kits that don't have any of those problems, which would give you a much more pleasant riding experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
It's not a very good kit because it has very bad PAS control, as OP will find out when he gets it going. There's no way to adjust the PAS power. My guess is that there will also be a delay before the PAS engages and run-on when you stop pedalling. Also, it's a square wave controller, which will make the motor very noisy at low speed under power.

It's not clear what that switch on the throttle does. It connects to the brown and yellow wires which go back to the controller Normally, one would use them to connect the ignition wire to the battery positive. Hopefully, that's what it does. If not, there will be no way to switch off the controller except by switching off or disconnecting the battery. Please let us know if the throttle LEDs and the power goes off with that switch.

For not a lot more than that price, you can buy kits that don't have any of those problems, which would give you a much more pleasant riding experience.
I actually have to agree with you there, there are places out there you can get a kit for around 150 and would not have any issues at all. Let's hope the kit does what he needs it to and he manages to source at battery for himself

Ross

D

Deleted member 4366

I actually have to agree with you there, there are places out there you can get a kit for around 150 and would not have any issues at all. Let's hope the kit does what he needs it to and he manages to source at battery for himself

Ross
If all you want is only throttle operation, it'll work fine, but that misses the legal requirement that power must stop when you stop pedalling. That kit is like they were 7 years ago, when we had no choice. Now, there are massive improvements you can take advantage of.

The motor manufacturers, like Bafang, MXUS, Shengyi, who make motors for the OEM bikes, have been constantly dealing with the grief from quality issues, so they've implemented many countermeasures against the common problems, some of which inevitably push the price up. When a new cheaper player turns up, you have to question why it's cheaper.

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
If all you want is only throttle operation, it'll work fine, but that misses the legal requirement that power must stop when you stop pedalling. That kit is like they were 7 years ago, when we had no choice. Now, there are massive improvements you can take advantage of.

The motor manufacturers, like Bafang, MXUS, Shengyi, who make motors for the OEM bikes, have been constantly dealing with the grief from quality issues, so they've implemented many countermeasures against the common problems, some of which inevitably push the price up. When a new cheaper player turns up, you have to question why it's cheaper.
yeah that's very true! for the side of the throttle legality and the cheaper they are the more you have to question the quality of what it is you are actually getting, I did get the feeling from looking that this kit was a fair bit older than a lot of current models

Ross

hoodwinked

Sep 27, 2017
staffordshire
hi guys and thanks for the replies didn't realise id missed so much ....rightt what I should say is I brought this kit from ebay well over a year ago now with the intention of getting a battery but money being what it is I wasn't able to afford one and cant really now but ive gotta do something ...had a look around ebay and there are some cheapish kind of batteries but im unsure of what I really need ...I was looking at this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bottle-Downtube-Battery-36V10-4Ah-385Wh-Lithium-ion-E-bike-Battery/302419701959?hash=item46699e70c7:g:J6wAAOSwmU1Zk98q

hoodwinked

Sep 27, 2017
staffordshire
thanks I will try and find it although I doubt I could make 1 without something going wrong ive always been a bit frank spencer when it comes to diy lol

D

Deleted member 4366

A few things to look out for:
The washer or nut on the outside of the drop-out mustn't overlap the dimple.
The motor wire must exit downwards.
You should fit a torque arm for security.

D

Deleted member 4366

It'll work, but if you use it every day, you'll notice it deteriorating before a year's up. Also, it probably isn't very waterproof. That case is used by hundreds of different manufacturers, who all assemble them in different ways. Those going in to OEM bikes can be reasonably well waterproofed inside, but others end up like this: battery.JPG

D

Deleted member 4366

If you can't aford to take a chance on a cheap one, then you have to get one from a reputable supplier, like Eclipse Bikes or anybody else in the UK.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you can't aford to take a chance on a cheap one, then you have to get one from a reputable supplier, like Eclipse Bikes or anybody else in the UK.
Have you any information on the pswpower batteries with "made in China" cells d8veh? They are very tempting...