Is this possible ( e-walker idea ) ?

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
hello,

I wanted to post this in the technical section but it wont let me - it says im not allowed , so I thought ( if no one minds ) id ask here.

What i wanted to ask then is if any one here ( like flecc ) for example might have any suggestions or ideas on how I could create / go about creating what ive dubbed an e-walker.

IE. To take something like this

and turn it into the equivelant of an pedelec ( all be it without the pedals / gears )

It doesnt have to power assisted ( all it would be nice i.e. to have some variable on the speed output at least ) and also have the option of having it on manual.

The easiest or most straightforward solution ( based on my limited knowledge ) seems to be to taking something like this and somehow incoperating it into the knee walker.

Sorry if this is bit off-topic , like i said i wanted to post it in the technical section .

If any one has any leads or ideas Id really aprpeciate it.

thanks

t

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
I think you are talking about building a light weight mobility scooter, if so there are lots of the available already.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
A difficult question to be asking in here - I think that most of us are trying to escape the association of e-bikes with 'mobility aids' of one kind or another, though there's no doubt they can be a boon to those who want to cycle but might not be quite up to it without a little help.

If you're looking for somewhere 'off topic' to ask this sort of question may I suggest that The Charging Post might be the place to go. In general you can ask anything you like in there. I don't think you'll get much sympathy though.

Rog.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Germany has given birth to some things like this. One used treadle pads to allow someone with limited walking and standing ability to be seated and tread down on two treadle pads alternately to apply the power. It was a two front wheel trike from memory.

Children's Like-a-Bikes that are used to teach them balance early have a similar concept:

And of course, on the basis that there is nothing new under the sun in cycling, it was done for adults over 150 years ago with sit-on two wheel stride-alongs called "Hobby Horses", a name later to be used for children's wooden sticks with a horses head modelled on:

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
And of course, on the basis that there is nothing new under the sun in cycling, it was done for adults over 150 years ago with sit-on two wheel stride-alongs called "Hobby Horses", a name later to be used for children's wooden sticks with a horses head modelled on:
Oh my God flecc I had forgotten about those. I had one as a young boy which my dad help me make:eek:

Regards

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh my God flecc I had forgotten about those. I had one as a young boy which my dad help me make:eek:

Regards

Jerry
If you'd kept it you could have added a kit wheel motor on the back and put roller skates on your feet!

Novel commuter steed. :D

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
Hold on a minute . . . . I recognise the second photo that flecc posted . . . I think I put a £1 each way on it at the bookies yesterday - and that's it just coming in now.

I know, I know . . . I give so much money to sick animals unfortunately I don't know they're sick when I bet on them . .

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I think you are talking about building a light weight mobility scooter, if so there are lots of the available already.
No, not really , what I mean is something like electric scooter i.e. razor e300
seen here

But instead of a seat , a knee rest i.e. like the walker that can support my wieght while i stand .

The above would almost work it were not for the weight factor of the battery - hence why I was looking at electric skateboards ( because they do have lithium batterys right up to 48 v ) on small scaler.

You see, I want the option of something portable / light that i can use to walk like a knee walker into shops etc , but also with the option of motor for longer distances or in the country . rougher terrain .

BTW what do any of you chaps think about this new uk e-scooter ( they claim to use lithium ) but it sounds a bit too goot to be true

heres the link

cheers :eek:

t-pol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BTW what do any of you chaps think about this new uk e-scooter ( they claim to use lithium ) but it sounds a bit too goot to be true

heres the link
At 1500 watts it's going to slow and very poor on hills, 4500 watts is needed on these for a decent performance. The standard battery shown as silicone will actually be the heavy lead acid type, the lithium they say is optional but no details given.

As ever, the specification is overblown, 40 mph is only likely downhill and the claimed 40 mile range should be halved if the limited performance is freely used, which realistically it has to be.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
At 1500 watts it's going to slow and very poor on hills, 4500 watts is needed on these for a decent performance. The standard battery shown as silicone will actually be the heavy lead acid type, the lithium they say is optional but no details given.

As ever, the specification is overblown, 40 mph is only likely downhill and the claimed 40 mile range should be halved if the limited performance is freely used, which realistically it has to be.
Yes, it sounded dubious to me- thanks for confirming my suspicions flecc .

My current idea ( working with the semi recumbent I mentioned before ) is to try and get one of these with a bionix kit

I did talk to the folk at Alien about their new kits but id need a 36 volt to make it worth my while and unfortunately they only work with v-brakes which most semi recumbents dont seem to do :(

Heres the main site in the us

Of course between the Bionx kit and the cost of one of these things youd prob be looking at 2 grand easily, but it would be worth it if I could get some cycling and power assistance for up to 60 miles ( as some of these kits claim )

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I take it you mean something you use like this:

You could get a lightweight folding mobility scooter and adjust the seat so that you can use it as a knee walker. If you took the back rest off one of these you'd be almost there:

Mobility Scooters - Electric Wheelchairs - Lightweight Travel Chair Lifts - Foldable Walker - Compact Rollators -TravelScoot - Easy To Use
Yes, I saw this before but never thought it about being possibly used as knee walker i.e. if the battery removable too I dont see why not , other than issuse with seat adjustment and maybe being too far back .

Pity there wasnt any over here I could try :(

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My current idea ( working with the semi recumbent I mentioned before ) is to try and get one of these with a bionix kit

if I could get some cycling and power assistance for up to 60 miles ( as some of these kits claim )
That Dynamik is interesting, the limited ground clearance with that long wheelbase might need watching on tracks though. The 60 mile range claims are almost universally spurious though, only a select few get past 40 miles on one battery, unless with a very strong rider not wanting much assistance.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I thought I would put this out there to any one who happens to be reading this , in regards to my ongoing idea of trying to build this Ewalker thing - or at least some of it before I go insane trying.

So far my current problem has been trying to find the compattible components ( freewheel sprockets , controller etc ) that can achieve a 1:80 gear ratio on small enough scale to fit on - but not weigh down , my wee kneewalker. ( 29 lbs )

I noticed Cyclone ( who I found out did the motor for the Travelscoot ) also do kits that use freewheels, but only for bike models , so Ive decided to write to the uk rep to see if he can help with my idea , or has any suggestions on using freewheel setup with the same motor that they used on the travelscoot. ( 180 w or so i think )

Any way, if any one interested in taking me up on my offer and wish offer their services - or shoot me some quotes ( unless you want to do it out of the sheer goodness of your heart :) ) , just send me message ,and I'll get back to you as I can.

Thank for Reading.

Until next time. :)

tepol

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Tepol,
I have a Travelscoot as illustrated above and am delighted with it.
I have the 200w version and the optional gear reduction sprocket that I doubt that I will need.

At first I folded it up when carrying it on my trailer but found in practice that there was no need to fold it.
The battery can be quickly detached but I have no difficulty in lifting it on and off the trailer fully assembled with the battery installed.

This means that I can now cycle to the shops and do the shopping on the Travelscoot.
If there is any information you would like please let me know.

Dave

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Tepol: interesting notion, but one thing you haven't really gone into is 'Why'. What advantage does your idea have over an electric bike (if it's on two wheels), or a 'mobility' scooter (if it's got 3 or more wheels)?

What would you use it for?

(Bear in mind that I've only got one proper leg, so I've got a personal interest in enhancing my own mobility.)

Allen.

Last edited:

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Tepol,
I have a Travelscoot as illustrated above and am delighted with it.
I have the 200w version and the optional gear reduction sprocket that I doubt that I will need.

At first I folded it up when carrying it on my trailer but found in practice that there was no need to fold it.
The battery can be quickly detached but I have no difficulty in lifting it on and off the trailer fully assembled with the battery installed.

This means that I can now cycle to the shops and do the shopping on the Travelscoot.
If there is any information you would like please let me know.

Dave
Thanks Dave, i tried bidding on one I saw on ebay recently but lost ( i suspect the seller was shilling with a sniper tool ) as it sold for 1 grand which is about the price of a new one unless im mistaken .

If the day comes i cant walk at all then id consider it, the problem with the belt motor on it though is that it cant freewheel , or so i was just told today.

The other thing i dont like about the design is its limitations i.e. you cant go offroad or rougher terrain - which is exactly where Id want to go as opposed to being restricted to bad pavements or busy malls.

Even my liteway 3 isnt really suitable for offroad , but it has far bigger tires and perhaps more clearance than Travelscoot - though at the cost of a lot more weight.

tepol

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Tepol: interesting notion, but one thing you haven't really gone into is 'Why'. What advantage does your idea have over an electric bike (if it's on two wheels), or a 'mobility' scooter (if it's got 3 or more wheels)?

What would you use it for?

(Bear in mind that I've only got one proper leg, so I've got a personal interest in enhancing my own mobility.)

Allen.
I have 2 legs but i cant support myself thanks chronic connective tissue issues,that have been ongoing for over 20 yrs, Its a little hard to then to knoq how you would do as my whole body is affected,but it just so happens one side - well used to be -realtively stronger so I could get away with propelling myself with the aid of special crutch for added levarage ( spring loaded )

I have ebike i plan on using as scooter - nothing more , i could cycle a bit last year but since then have got worse and ended up selling the bike i had. ( nova downtube )

The advantages being then

a ) I get exercise and am upright as opposed to sitting on chair or scooter
b ) the kneewalker is only 29 lbs so a lot more portable
c ) AND MOST OF ALL I am not dependent on the battery , so unless I am in bad way ( why Im looking at motor assistance just now ) I dont have the stress of depending of relying soley on sla battery which of course just adds even more weight , the bigger battery too.
d ) If your using sla ( like most mobility products ) you have to constantly recharge it which isnt cheap as it has no memory.
e ) Most mobility scooters / chairs ive seen have terrible ground clearance and no suspension for any one even interested going off road or perusing challanging things.
f ) Its easier to use the knee walker on buses ( esp coaches ) where some mobility scooters are banned / restricted.
g ) Its damm good portable seat fo when you need it

lot of reasons for me any way.

It certainly felt great comapred to the scooter to use my body in some way again , having the choice between doing that with assistance , instead of just relying on motor ( unless it was uphill , tough terrain ) would always be my preference if i can do it , Im still young enough at 36 to want to try to go to some places that might otherwise be diffuclt in a scooter too .. trails , forest paths etc

so thats my dream , as small as it sounds before the rest of me crumbles into the ground.

tepol

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Understood, tepol, makes perfect sense.

When I had a leg in plaster for a long time (18 months!) I used to see some people at Stanmore Orthopaedic Hospital who got around using a kneeling device with wheels, as opposed to the dreaded crutches. It only worked on the flat hospital floors (and not up the HILLS inside the hospital building, another story), but it always struck me as far more sensible than crutches, which I got to loathe.

I'm lucky enough (it's all relative) now to have a prosthesis, of course, but I do still use kneeling as a way of coping in bathroom or shower (i.e. kneeling on the amputated side, leaving the 'good' leg to maintain balance).

I'll ask around the amputee 'community' and see if anyone's come across any variation of what you're describing, and let you know.

Good luck with it.

Allen