its too cold, or i am too feeble

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
ok - now this winter malarky isn't funny anymore! this morning even with winter gloves (that 3 weeks ago were uncomfortably warm) my fingers were frozen.

I have keis heated jacket and gloves that i use on the motorbike when its artic :) and while i think the jacket would be annoying, i think it might be time to figure out something to power them on the pedelec (they are particuarly good as they heat the ends and sides of the fingers, rather than the palm like the cheaper ones, so fingers stay toasty and usable instead of sweaty palms and frozen fingers.

anyone else doing anything similar? or i am just the neshest of you all?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I have almost decided that I am going to drive if it goes below 3 degrees. My problem is hands which like you get cold the minute it goes below 3 :(

Jerry

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Very thin stretchy "one size fits all" gloves on first with wind proof (not tight fitting) fleece gloves on top works fine for me in sub zero. Most important, keep remembering to regularly move your fingers around rather than just gripping the handlebars.
Mittens rather than gloves are best but can be awkward on a bike. Having said that some folk don't have good circulation and nothing works.
Once your hands get cold outdoors it's hard to get them warm again short of putting them inside your clothes under your armpits for a few minutes.
3 degrees is a warm winter day in these parts:D

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Very thin stretchy "one size fits all" gloves on first with wind proof (not tight fitting) fleece gloves on top works fine for me in sub zero. Most important, keep remembering to regularly move your fingers around rather than just gripping the handlebars.
Mittens rather than gloves are best but can be awkward on a bike. Having said that some folk don't have good circulation and nothing works.
Once your hands get cold outdoors it's hard to get them warm again short of putting them inside your clothes under your armpits for a few minutes.
3 degrees is a warm winter day in these parts:D
I use a similar combination, but it's not my hands that are the problem. My face freezes. After 10 minutes or so it's like I've had a jab of novocaine at the dentist. Only a mask (buff or similar) helps, but I hate the warm moist feeling as you breathe through it.

C

Cyclezee

I think I have turned into a southern softie after almost 30 years living down here:(

Back in the 80's, decade not degrees F, I commuted by motorcycle from southwest London to Milton Keynes for period of several weeks in the winter.

My wife's tights helped immensely to keep my legs warm, but no matter what gloves I wore, my fingers and particularly thumbs just froze. There were 2 service stations between the north circ and MK, so I would go into the toilets and hold my hands under the dryers for 5 minutes to get some heat into them.

It's get out my thermally insulated boiler suit.

During the time that I lived in Canada, I used to have Ski Doo suit, those things keep you as warm as toast.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I use a similar combination, but it's not my hands that are the problem. My face freezes. After 10 minutes or so it's like I've had a jab of novocaine at the dentist. Only a mask (buff or similar) helps, but I hate the warm moist feeling as you breathe through it.
Agreed, I also get tears streaming down my face for the first mile or so and actually had frost in my beard on some rides last year.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm another sufferer of so-called Raynauds disease, hands and feet losing all feeling at low temperatures with slow and painful recovery.

Nothing works, I've tried it all, so I've given up. Too cold and I don't cycle, much too cold and I don't even walk out.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
A pair of cheapish ski gloves (come with thin liners too) from sportsdirect helped my frozen fingers in the -3 degrees but as pointed out I need to hang my hands down and move the fingers about occasionally which helps.
As for the tear's down the face, work safety specs like these ones are ideal whether it's cold or not, I always wear them.
Keep Safe Jaguar Safety Spectacles Glasses - Clear Lens | eBay

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I went out on my trusty Kudos a few days ago and decided since it's Winter I'd best look out my Winter apparel. This consists of wearing an extra T shirt, better gloves a neck warmer and a hood thing under my helmet which covers my ears. Being a rufty tufty Scotsman I decided this would be plenty. You'll note I never mentioned adding anything to my bottom half, which consisted of track suit trousers ankle socks and open sandals.

All was fine and toasty as I made my way along the canal bank and the ice on the small puddles didn't bother me much. Anyway I get to a big closed gate on the towpath and had to stop and open it. Right where a big deep puddle was.

The bottom line is, even rufty tufty Scotsmen get frost bite in their toes.

I need to think about better shoes and socks for the Winter.

BTW, if you come home with frozen toes, do NOT stick them in front of a fan heater.

After a couple of Bacon butties and a nice mug of Bewley's Irish breakfast tea, all was well.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I suffer with tears running down my face in cold weather. I wear prescription glasses but wonder if there is something that would go over them?

I tried a face mask thing I bought on eBay, - causing much hilarity amongst family - "you look like a bank robber" etc. however it was no good as it just steamed up the specs.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I suffer with tears running down my face in cold weather. I wear prescription glasses but wonder if there is something that would go over them?

I tried a face mask thing I bought on eBay, - causing much hilarity amongst family - "you look like a bank robber" etc. however it was no good as it just steamed up the specs.
You can get prescription cycling glasses, but they're not cheap. What about something like these?
There is a choice of clear or smoked glass too.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
What's the matter with all you wimps!

I remember going out for a spin to the Yorkshire Wolds on my mates BSA Bantam in the winter of 62/63 - now THAT was cold!

I must agree that the other day on my first cold e-bike ride it was my face that got it first. I have a thin balaclava somewhere last used for flying microlights. Will dig it out and report.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I wondered about these. Potential problem/annoyance having to fit the chunky arms under your helmet straps in addition to your specs. Probably worth checking out on next visit to B&Q though

You can get prescription cycling glasses, but they're not cheap. What about something like these?
There is a choice of clear or smoked glass too.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Does the beard help?:D
I'm not sure but I think so, having had it for 40 years I can't remember what it was like without it. I grew it for the winter of '74 and have had it ever since.
It goes down well at the local children's Christmas party along with the red suit and the sack full of toys.:)

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
For my casual winter rides I wear , warmthru heated gloves and thermic heated foot beds .
And a ninja balaclava

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
Solved the hand problem. I use fleece lined mittens and just before setting off trigger a re-useable heated gel in each mit. Then of an evening boil them in the pan ready for the next day. Been great so far.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Funny you should say that...

I was going to post that today has been just about perfect for cycling down here:

Set out for Wadebridge, the pretty way (about 12 miles) & by the time I'd yomped up over Tregonetha downs & was beetliny along the tops in the sunshine, I was getting a tad warm & sweaty in the hi-vis bum-freezer. However - as I dropped down into the valleys it got colder & colder.

I was wearing 2 Box lycra head/neck warmers & they did a grand job, partickly the one pulled up over my beard & I didn't get the knife-in-the-forehead ache either. Aldi winter gloves & padded cycling trousers were fine, but once I stopped for a cup of ovaltine & a snickers, it was several miles before I felt warm again; especially where the sweat had cooled under the backpack.

Try lycra over a beard.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
My wife's tights helped immensely to keep my legs warm, but no matter what gloves I wore, my fingers and particularly thumbs just froze. There were 2 service stations between the north circ and MK, so I would go into the toilets and hold my hands under the dryers for 5 minutes to get some heat into them.

Wearing wifes tights ?? Loitering in public toilets ??

Hmmm......... will you never change John lol ;)

Lynda :)