Just noticed Aurora now in kit form:-)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Exactly as d8veh says Dave, there's a very large difference between the two, which is in the region of 3 to 5 volts when fully charged, meaning the meter will read at the near empty range at the outset. The same will apply to any lithium powered bike used with SLAs.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks guys, I should have remembered that one. Certainly two 12V 15Amp SLA batteries is a very cost effective way of providing power as opposed to spending £2-300. Yes there is a weight advantage with li-ion and if you were riding to and from work every day it might be more of a problem but Annes Cyclamatic Plus plods along nicely with those batteries. Joining three together to make 36V would see the tail wagging the dog some what. I was thinking for my Evans converted bike (now i have to share a battery from a later conversion) that 3 X SLA`s provided one was slung under the cross bar to counter balance things is worth a go and lets face it cable is cheap so a bit of distributing the weight around could be very cost effective. I can pick up 3 12Amp SLA( rated 15Amp) of a good make for around £70. Worth a thought.

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We have had quite a few members converting to SLA Dave, even the odd 36 volt bike owner not wanting to face lithium prices. All of them have reported favourably, even long after their conversion, so it definitely is something well worth considering. I've ridden with three lithium batteries on long trips, one in frame and one in each pannier, the battery weight totalling 13 kilos, and not found that a big handing problem.

If enough people do it, the result could help drive down lithium battery prices.

Last edited:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
A low cost solution for a new battary on the wisper at last; 3*SLA on the trailer :)

Just have to reconnect from series to parallel to charge, or should I just do them one ata time ?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I charge mine as they are connected with a 24V charger

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
OK stupid question, could I use the wisper 36v charger on the SLAs or would I need a specific charge cycle.

Not that I will probably ever do it, but it passes the day with ideal speculation.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I think you need a specific charger? but one of the techies might be able to answer. I purchased a 24V SLA charger

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OK stupid question, could I use the wisper 36v charger on the SLAs or would I need a specific charge cycle.

Not that I will probably ever do it, but it passes the day with ideal speculation.
The Wisper charger made by HP charges at about 42 volts which is just about sufficient* a level for the three SLAs, and the charge voltage algorithm is similar to that for Li-ion. So it looks well worth doing, but I have no definitive experience of doing this.

* Ideally the three would be charged at between 42.6 and 43.2 volts, but they will charge at anything over 38.7 volts.

D

Deleted member 4366

Try it and see what happens. Then we'll all know. Maybe it won't switch off at the end of the charge, so if it's still charging after 8 hrs switch it off manually.