Just noticed Aurora now in kit form:-)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Oh no! I can feel a purchase coming on:D

You might have read my recent post with regards to my Li-po4 blowing up like a balloon when left in my glass roofed garage in the heat:( well this has caused me to have a look around at what might be available as a replacement battery for my Evans kit bike and whilst browsing stumbled across the Aurora kit on the Alien Ocean E bike web site! Wow!!! that has to be the answer to a maidens prayer ( well certainly my maiden perhaps) OK, you might say what is new, you have been able to purchase the Aurora for a couple of years( I did and it`s one of the best things I ever put my money into) but what if you are 5`2" tall like her indoors who must be obeyed at all times:rolleyes: she has asked me many times to fit a non suspended saddle on the aurora so she can have a go and see exactly what makes me smile all the time when we are riding together but of course at that height (all good things come in small packages"just incase she reads this) even the lowest saddle height would be just too high for her and now this kit has opened up the possibility of having your cake and eating it by fitting this kit to a more suitable frame size. Some might say that the extra cost over the standard kit isn`t worth it! and i say just ride one and then make your mind up. I have dodgy knees and a worked on ticker so quite often run mine on low and medium power so am never looking for speed but more just extra help up those hills(or like the other day when I passed a Tour de France candidate all done up in the latest lycra whilst listening to my music up loud and watched with glee as he locked onto my rear wheel for the ride of his life;))

Seriously, if you are 5`10" or taller then the best bet is the made up bike but for anyone much shorter or for ladies that prefer a step through this is better than sliced bread as the saying goes.
Well done Alien, a bit of forward thinking for a refreshing change. Now to nip out for a bunch of fresh flowers to get the mood right before putting the punch line in.

Dave

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
I noticed that the other day when I purchased a Thumb throttle from their site.
Said throttle arrived today (brilliant service) and is really high quality, I always wanted an Aurora but I can only ride a step-through so maybe my dreams may yet come true.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Yeh! the kit does open up the choices and we know that the running gear is good because we`ve been using it in the Aurora bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks a nice comprehensive kit, but why do they provide a 14T free-wheel instead of 11T. You struggle to pedal fast enough on a 250w motor with 14T top gear. Also, you can get the same stuff direct from Greenbikekit.com or BMSBattery for about £450, which would include the 12AH Headway battery, which is much more suitable. and will allow a more poerful controller for effort-free hill-climbing. There is, of course, a small risk with buying stuff direct.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My first kit was from Alien Ocean back in 2009 and my first introduction to ebikes.

My bike conversion (Raliegh Datona) and testimony are detailed half way down their page here

Electric Bicycles - Customer Conversions

Their service was fantastic.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Looks a nice comprehensive kit, but why do they provide a 14T free-wheel instead of 11T. You struggle to pedal fast enough on a 250w motor with 14T top gear. Also, you can get the same stuff direct from Greenbikekit.com or BMSBattery for about £450, which would include the 12AH Headway battery, which is much more suitable. and will allow a more poerful controller for effort-free hill-climbing. There is, of course, a small risk with buying stuff direct.
Well yeh! you`ll always be able to shop around and beat genuine UK based companies and yes it can pay off at times there`s no doubt about that. I`ve had several kits and bikes from alien and in general everything has been of good quality and rapid delivery. But!! and it`s a big but when you need support or just to talk to someone and that`s where Alien takes the biscuit.Apart from Jim who is just about as fair and down the line as you can get (don`t get me wrong, he aint no push over but always listens and if you are genuine or have a genuine problem he will move heaven and earth to make you satisfied.) and then there is the tech/mechanic that you can actually talk to(yeh! you can talk to someone who knows the bikes like the back of his hand)
So you pays your money and takes your choice. Don`t get me wrong I`ve purchased loads of stuff from China and rarely get any problems but an E bike kit or similar I`ll stick to somewhere that I can get consumer rights if all else fails.

Dave

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Also, you can get the same stuff direct from Greenbikekit.com or BMSBattery
Having read all the bad feedback regarding BMSBattery I think I'd like to stick to suppliers who have good feedback and no gamble on import tax.

bigroy

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2011
Fife Scotland
why would you post that here Nick? who asked you about your kits...are things that bad you need to highjack posts now, hope it helps.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Think you meant John....

bigroy

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2011
Fife Scotland
you're right I meant John I was so wound up when I saw the post I got the name wrong (sorry Nick)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
why would you post that here Nick? who asked you about your kits...are things that bad you need to highjack posts now, hope it helps.
Why pick on John? Others had already posted before in this thread about getting kits from two other suppliers who are not the subject of this thread and one had commented on the potential problems of buying direct from the Far East. I think that justified drawing attention to an alternative high powered kit that is sold and serviced in the UK. Consumer choice is never bad.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think in this case it's relevant for Cyclezee to post details of the Ezee kit because it's a sensible alternative, being similar weight and power.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Bigroy,

Firstly, I make no apology for posting in this thread and don't consider that I have done anything wrong. It would appear that others share this view.

I am however sorry that you don't like my post Bigroy and felt stongly enough to comment negatively on it.

I actually know Nick, we live in the same city, and I was under the assumption that we was intererested in a kit. In fact that is not the case as he is selling his Alien Aurora and now using a non powered bike instead.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi John, I don`t think we have exchanged views before?

I am of the opinion that trade shouldn`t actually be posting in the forum where members are trying to sort out what is good and what isn`t. I mean no harm to you for sure but as a trade member you can hardly be unbiased in your views and opinions. I`m not saying that trade members shouldn`t be allowed to answer when a member asks a specific question and you have the answer.

Just my opinion and nothing against what are your excellent products.

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I differ on this subject Dave. In fairness John only mentioned the availability of his kits, he gave no view or opinion on his or any other product mentioned in the thread. I see that as a positive, drawing attention to choice, from which consumers can ask questions and make their own choices.

I'm much more in line with you on those trade members who post in a manner blatantly promoting in a way that suggests their offer is better, clearly a poor practice. Fortunately there's few of those.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I differ on this subject Dave. In fairness John only mentioned the availability of his kits, he gave no view or opinion on his or any other product mentioned in the thread. I see that as a positive, drawing attention to choice, from which consumers can ask questions and make their own choices.

I'm much more in line with you on those trade members who post in a manner blatantly promoting in a way that suggests their offer is better, clearly a poor practice. Fortunately there's few of those.
Fair enough Flecc.

BTW you might remember that I wired up two SLA batteries and run annes Cyclamatic power plus and our folders on it. Anne was out on the power plus today and although the only light on the bars was the red one for quite some time it was still going strong after around 15 miles. I notice tonight that through a low powered charger it is taking quite some time to complete, is that normal do you think?

Dave

D

Deleted member 4366

The lights relate to battery voltage. SLAs are much lower voltage than lithium. That's why you get the red light all the time - nothing to do with how much charge is in the battery.