Just out of the Box: Proconnects 2009.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi John,

Thanks for the photo link and info on your Proconnect S.

I've had a 50cm Medium on order more or less since they were announced so hopefully I'll be experiencing it for myself soon.

I appreciate that you want to wait a while before you do a full review but please keep the initial impressions coming.

I'm especially interested in in how the power unit and gear range feel compared to the standard Proconnect/Agattu.

Ken

C

Cyclezee

Hi Ken,

I had a 6 month wait for mine, so yours should be with you fairly soon I would have thought. Originally, I ordered a 50cm frame, but after talking to Lloyd, I changed it to 55cm and I'm glad I did as it just right for me.

I don't know how it compares to the standard Pro Connect as I haven't ridden one. I would have imagined the S to be a couple of Kg heavier than the standard Pro Connect with the extra components fitted, i.e. front suspension, hand throttle etc, but according to my bathroom scales the S is 21.5 Kg and the 20.8 Kg as specfied for the standard model, only 700gm more.

Mine is still bedding in, but it feels more nimble and is definitely lighter and faster than my Agattu.
In my opinion, the excellent Agattu is like a cruiser that propels you along at a leisurely pace in comfort. The Pro Connect S is a sportier ride with more assistance on tap if you want it, but can also cruise with minimal effort.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
Thanks for all the info and photos. Mine is in customs now, and awaiting delivery soon!
Did the bike come with the computer and mirror? I now see what you mean about all the cabling, from the pictures. This is going to be a bigger shock to see the bike for me, as I have never seen or ridden a Kalkhoff, bought it sight unseen, thanks to recommendstions on this site.

Also how are gears changed? It doesn't look like a grip shifter?

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I think this could improve once the battery is conditioned with two full charge with full discharge cycles, and then improve further once the bike is run in with a few miles "on the clock". This system still has a degree of power phase down as it approaches maximum, similar to the standard system, so any resistance through newness will affect the final speed attained.
Flecc,
The figures I previously quoted are too high by 10%. I compared the readings from the cycle computer with a GPS calculated speed. Once the bike and battery has had its run in I will re-test just for comparison.

Ken,

I agree with Aldby. I find the seat quite comfortable. The only thing I am concerned about is that the bike is too good to leave parked unattended at my work! I ordered the 55cm and 50 Cycles was really helpful, but I am glad that I had found this forum (and Flecc) because it gave me an insight to e-bikes. I probably would have ordered a Cytronex Trek, but for the fact that they had no bikes and no kit!

Aldby,

I too have have added some accessories removable front and rear lights, cycle lock and rear refelector (salvaged from my Raleigh).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc,
The figures I previously quoted are too high by 10%. I compared the readings from the cycle computer with a GPS calculated speed. Once the bike and battery has had its run in I will re-test just for comparison.
Thanks, I'll look forward to the retested figures. After allowing for that 10% too high, you were actually getting about 20 mph assisted. Members who have bought the standard Pro Connect bikes and changed the rear sprocket to a 16 tooth get assistance to cutoff at a bit over 21 mph, very similar indeed. Of course they don't have the High Power mode at 1.5 times, theirs being 1.3 times.

C

Cyclezee

Did the bike come with the computer and mirror? I now see what you mean about all the cabling, from the pictures.
Also how are gears changed? It doesn't look like a grip shifter?
Hi Intex,

My bike came with the computer which I didn't expect, the mirror I fitted myself. The gear change is by trigger, not a gripshift.

Regards,

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Flecc,
Hi DP
A couple of years back when the speeds of the eZee Torq were of great interest, the standard circumference to key into cycle computers on a bike with 700x38 Marathon Plus tyres was 219cm. This has proved very accurate against the GPS on my Torq and early ProConnect.

The MP tyres tend to have a thicker wall than standard, so the circumference is probably a little larger than average.

It might be worth publishing a figure for the standard Continentals on the ProConnect S.

James

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
The Kalkhoff Proconnect S, was much admired amongst the young motor bikers when I was parking it at work. The young lad who was parking his bike next me said "Thats a cool bike - how fast does it go? How much does it cost?"

I was surprised at how many insurers do not insure electric bikes. I eventually found one which did and I am glad that I opted to buy a Kalkhoff Pedelec instead of the Cytronex. The insurance sales representative told me that had it been a converted bike, like Cytronex Trek, they would have declined to cover it!

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
...The insurance sales representative told me that had it been a converted bike, like Cytronex Trek, they would have declined to cover it!
...but they are happy to cover a bike that is illegal to use on the UK's road?

C

Cyclezee

...but they are happy to cover a bike that is illegal to use on the UK's road?
Point taken Harry, but it isn't illegal to buy or own one.
Many restricted road legal bikes can exceed the 15 mph limit before the power cuts out, even if only by 1 mph. Cytronex is one of those.
There are also several which produce more than 250 watts, are they road legal?
Then there are e-bikes which owners modify by simply changing a sprocket, are they road legal?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many restricted road legal bikes can exceed the 15 mph limit before the power cuts out, even if only by 1 mph. Cytronex is one of those.
Then there are e-bikes which owners modify by simply changing a sprocket, are they road legal?

Quite right, as I've mentioned before, every e-bike on the UK market today is illegal, bar none.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London

The legal arguments will continue and I have no objections to anybody riding or buying the Proconnect S. However most ebikes conform to the law at least in spirit but the S obviously does not. I just wondered why an insurance company would insure a bike that is obviously not legal to take on the road - unless of course they don't know it is illegal.

For example the cycleguard definition of a bicycle they will cover..

Bicycle ....powered by human pedalling and/or battery which is not subject to the requirements of the road traffic act...

So I don't think they would pay up in the event of a claim.

PS from the wording on the cycleguard policy I don't see why they could refuse to cover the Cytronex. I haven't bothered to insure my Cytronex as it is too expensive for the low risk of it being stolen.

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
PS from the wording on the cycleguard policy I don't see why they could refuse to cover the Cytronex. I haven't bothered to insure my Cytronex as it is too expensive for the low risk of it being stolen.
I'm of a similar mind but I remember having all sorts of problems getting my Smart car insured years ago even though it was full UK spec. They just wouldn't be told because it wasn't on the computer..:)

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
The legal arguments will continue and I have no objections to anybody riding or buying the Proconnect S. However most ebikes conform to the law at least in spirit but the S obviously does not. I just wondered why an insurance company would insure a bike that is obviously not legal to take on the road - unless of course they don't know it is illegal.

For example the cycleguard definition of a bicycle they will cover..

Bicycle ....powered by human pedalling and/or battery which is not subject to the requirements of the road traffic act...

So I don't think they would pay up in the event of a claim.

I am still waiting for the insurance details to arrive, but I believe the insurance is provided for theft/bicycle damage on a new for old basis. The premium is based on sum assured taking into account the postcode and previous claims history, with a discount for over 40's. The Proconnect S will be covered on this basis because I don't think there is liability cover if the rider causes an accident. The Cytronex is not covered because the bike has been modified by a third party.

The battery of my Proconnect S has just been put on charge after completing 45 miles of various riding modes (one light flashing on battery test). The bike performed well in today,s heavy rain, I was particularly surprised at how well the brakes performed. The supplied bell is not that good.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The bike performed well in today,s heavy rain, I was particularly surprised at how well the brakes performed.
The electrics on the Panasonic system are better protected against water than on any other bike. I've had the unit submerged and running perfectly still, the sealing is so good.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Some might say the owner, but Groucho Marx would say:

It says the first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part, shall be known in this contract - look, why should we quarrel about a thing like this, we'll take it right out, eh?

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I was hoping someone was going to say "round my house". Bring a bottle and your bike. :D