Kettle-plug power connector alternatives?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I don't like the fact that BMS Battery puts kettle plug connectors on the charger, batteries controller and mains lead. This makes no sense to me and presents serious safety issues. I recently connected my mains socket lead directly into my battery by accident! Luckily no damage was done as the mains box tripped instantly.

Does anyone know of a safe alternative male+female connector set for carrying 10A to the controller from battery? Doesn't need to be waterproof, but does need to be fool-proof (i.e. only one way to connect and no protruding pins).

I'd also like to put different connectors on the charger-to-battery, so that I end up with only ONE kettle plug lead being used from mains socket to charger. This seems a much more safer and sensible approach and avoids any confusion.

Would welcome any suggestions!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
For 10A current, a good foolproof one is the EC2 connectors:
EC2 Female & Male (5pcs/bag) (UK Warehouse)

They are small, with strong connection and last long time.

The only issue is that you need to solder them. I would prefer crimping but I haven't found reliable crimping connectors (anderson powerpole connectors get loose over time)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I really like xt60 connectors - foolproof, solid connection, up to 60a I belive, also watertight

horses for courses though I guess !

D

Deleted member 4366

You can use virtually anything for the charger because it's only about 2.5 amps. For power wires, I've standardised on Deans, because they're very easy to solder onto the leads. I've tried other ones, but I can never get the pins into the housings. I always have to file every one to get it in. Maybe there's a special technique.

Don't forget that you should always put a female on the battery to avoid live bear prongs.

For charger:
Pk of 5 x DC Power Plug 2.5 x 5.5mm Male & 5 x Matching Inline Female | eBay

For power:
Deans Connectors T Plugs 5 Pairs With Heat Shrink | eBay

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Thanks guys, I'll get shopping ;-)

I usually use bitsbox.co.uk for my bits and bobs, or eBay.. but I also have a trade account with RS Components that offers free delivery and no minimum order, so if anyone ever needs anything from there, feel free to ask, I'd be happy to order for direct delivery to anyone.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Also Deans are what the majority of RC folk use, they're just rock solid reliable.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Yup ... Deans on the battery to controller lead interface (battery side)... I use Anderson Powerpoles on the controller side). I use Neutrik XLR for the battery to charger connector and Anderson Powerpoles on the controller to motor phase wires.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Big Deans plug connector fan here for the last 4 years of ebiking. If I was starting again I would look seriously at xt60 connectors though.

Too much hassle to change them all over now.

As others have said comes from the RC hobby from which I spent many years in.

Ps it goes without saying that when using Deans you use the female on the battery not male where it can easily short!

Jerry

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Big Deans plug connector fan here for the last 4 years of ebiking. If I was starting again I would look seriously at xt60 connectors though.
I bought some of those and was looking at changing the Deans ones when I rewired everything. But having test-soldered a couple onto a length of wire decided the Deans ones seemed better and neater. You can get them with ribs on for extra grip when connecting/disconnecting - I like these much better.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
XT60 every day
I'm big into RC and over the last 12 months I have been upgrading from deans (so last year ) to XT60's
I've done 6 speed controllers and to many lipos to count !
What finally convinced me to change was Hobbyking, I was getting more & more new battery's with XT60's fitted as standard and now there's no going back, easier to use and a better connection (IMO)
I'd put deans on my nicad's :D
XT60-----the new industry standard (unofficial)

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
XT60 every day
I'm big into RC and over the last 12 months I have been upgrading from deans (so last year ) to XT60's
I've done 6 speed controllers and to many lipos to count !
What finally convinced me to change was Hobbyking, I was getting more & more new battery's with XT60's fitted as standard and now there's no going back, easier to use and a better connection (IMO)
I'd put deans on my nicad's :D
XT60-----the new industry standard (unofficial)
It's very funny reading the hot debates on connectors on RC forums. I thought XT90s were the new industry standard ... :)