Kit fitting

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what the average cost of fitting a kit would be?

Pea

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what the average cost of fitting a kit would be?

Pea
That would depend who does it;) I'd do it for a crate of beer, but a cycle shop, assuming they agree to do it, will probably charge by the hour. And I bet they'll take a few hours:eek:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Will work for beer also.

Simple kit should take about 1 crate, complex would could be up to 4 crates.

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
The email just said to supply and fit the kit it would be £949, the kit is £800.

I'm starting to swing towards leaving this bike as it is and buying a new bike. I've got my eye on a couple :)

Pea

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Sounds about right 4 hrs work @ £40 per hour.

My rate is £30 per hour, but I don't have wages or a shop to pay for ;-)

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
The kits the oxygen one, I actually don't think the bottle battery will fit on the bike I have. I had thought they had more than one kit, they could do for all I know, that's the kit they've mentioned in the email.

I'm looking at a cyclotricity and a woosh bike. I'm thinking that I'd be better off spending the money on a new bike rather than £950 on a kit.

D

Deleted member 4366

The kits the oxygen one, I actually don't think the bottle battery will fit on the bike I have. I had thought they had more than one kit, they could do for all I know, that's the kit they've mentioned in the email.

I'm looking at a cyclotricity and a woosh bike. I'm thinking that I'd be better off spending the money on a new bike rather than £950 on a kit.
The Oxydrive kit is pretty good. It can be de-restricted to go quite a bit faster than most. It looks nice too. It takes about 2 hours to fit for someone that's done one before. £150 is too much. Most dealers charge £100 for fitting that kit.

You still didn't say what bike it is. Tell us or show a photo, and I'll tell you if it fits.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

this one may suit you:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/electric-bikes/sport-ts/
£725 with torque sensor. If you don't like it, send it back within 2 weeks.

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
One of the bikes I looked at on there was the sirocco, I'm 5ft 2 so it's the height of the crossbar that's a problem.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you definitely don't want the battery in the back (sirocco), it makes swinging your leg over the rear wheel to get on to the saddle much more difficult.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a specilized myka, it's only a 15 inch frame tho :D
I doubt that the Oxydrive kit would fit. Maybe that £150 for fitting includes cutting and welding your frame. Then the price would be nearly justified.

There's bottle batteries that come out sideways. You'd probably have room for one. here's the dimensions if you want to check:

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for that, I'll use that to check the sizes. I'm thinking that a rack battery is probably going to be best for the bike.

They never asked what bike the kit was for to be honest.

Pea :)

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for the link.

Because there's not a hope in hell of me fitting the kit and if £150 is the rate to fit one I'm starting to wonder if getting an ebike is going to be the easiest route.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thanks for the link.

Because there's not a hope in hell of me fitting the kit and if £150 is the rate to fit one I'm starting to wonder if getting an ebike is going to be the easiest route.
yes, pea. Kits are great for people who have the right tools.
generally, the water bottle cage lugs in the donnor bike are not made to support a water bottle batter that weighs 3 kgs and the forks are not set up for a 4kg front wheel (in case you buy a front wheel kit).
economically, if you have to pay for fitting, you have lost the equivalent saving by using a nil cost donnor bike.