L1e-A testing requirements

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Which one, there's been a few. Can you quote what was said in the one you mean so I can perhaps trace it in my numerous files?

I'm going by what the law actually says, which of course is all that matters in a court. The DfT has made statements it hasn't subsequently backed up, particularly on throttles.
there was a thread about it back in 2016, posted by Helenj I believe:

#1 - Pedelecs
The Department for Transport has today confirmed to Pedelecs that an ordinary cycle, already ridden on public roads as such and subsequently converted to a ‘twist and go’ electric bike, will not require type approval. The DfT further ...

26 results in this thread

News - DfT: Pedal cycles converted to ‘twist and go’ exempt from type approval
June 08, 2016 • 126 posts • 11121 viewsElectric Bike General Discussion
#1 - Pedelecs
The Department for Transport has today confirmed to Pedelecs that an ordinary cycle, already ridden on public roads as such and subsequently converted to a ‘twist and go’ electric bike, will not require type approval. The DfT further ...
#1 - PedelecsJune 08, 2016
3 Posts
#5 - fleccJune 08, 2016
No chance of that ever happening for the pedelec class, but if ever the DfT permit the S class, both would be permitted. .
5 Posts
#11 - craiggorJune 09, 2016
I think the daytime lights come when type aprovel comes.All new motor bikes have to have them from Jan 2016.I think this new statement finally makes a homebuilt bike legal.As for selling new bikes some where selling bikes with throttle ...
1 Post
#13 - fleccJune 09, 2016
The DfT has made a statement, effectively saying that conversions with throttles have no law preventing them fitting into the existing UK EAPC law. No legislation needs to be passed to make their throttles legal since there's nothing ...
3 Posts
#17 - trexJune 09, 2016
the DfT seem to say that type approval is only applicable to manufacturers and importers, not to individuals. I still can't see the difference between a push bike object becoming 'permitted bike' once hitting the public pathways ...
4 Posts
#22 - shemozzle999June 09, 2016
I wonder if you could confirm a couple of points. 1.Did the DfT email contain any disclaimer. 2. Regarding home builds would the DfT accept the home builders name for the purposes of the manufacturers information that has to ...
5 Posts
#28 - fleccJune 09, 2016
It's not seen as a new class, the DfT say that throttle pedelecs are still considered to be EAPCs. .
11 Posts
#40 - trexJune 09, 2016
by admitting that home build with twist and go is legal, I think the DfT won't be able to punish anyone using a twist and go throttle on a shop bought bike.
12 Posts
#53 - fleccJune 09, 2016
The most important part of the law with self builds is that they are not subject to type approval, even if all brand new items are used without any prior riding. I think the DfT has mentioned converting existing unpowered bikes in ...
8 Posts
#62 - fleccJune 10, 2016
This has been true since the consultation in 2011, when the January 2012 report on that revealed the strength of desire for throttles on UK pedelecs. Butthe DfT knew then that the requirement for harmonisation with the EU ...
4 Posts
#67 - fleccJune 10, 2016
I'd say EAPC is ok, since the DfT have clearly stated that they will consider an e-bike with a throttle which otherwise accords with the law to be an EAPC. .
15 Posts
#83 - shemozzle999June 13, 2016
Only the DfT can make that decision.
#84 - fleccJune 13, 2016
I'm convinced that is not the case. Our pedelecs are considered to be subject to bicycle law on the road as if they were bicycles, but in UK law they are EAPCs (Electric Assist Pedal Cycles). The provision that the DfT has made ...
1 Post
#86 - fleccJune 13, 2016
for this opinion is that a manufactured EAPC is potentially liable to type approval and is only on the road without it due to meeting the exemption conditions in the type approval law. Because it was already an EAPC at source ...
2 Posts
#89 - fleccJune 13, 2016
In this discussion I've only been concerned with the technicality of the law. From the moment that the DfT have said that throttles can be permitted on EAPCs subject to certain conditions, police interest will end. I cannot ...
#90 - KudoscyclesJune 13, 2016
accompanied by the latest Dft twist whatever that may be so that customers can make up their own mind as to the legality/ necessary type approval implications of fitting the throttle. From my viewpoint the Dft have made this ...
2 Posts
#93 - shemozzle999June 13, 2016
It would be better if the DfT decides and finally clears up the impossible position, while it still can, before the EU takes the next step which would be forthe EU to remove the member states power to impose type approval so ...
1 Post
#95 - fleccJune 13, 2016
It should already be plated as an EAPC and adding a throttle makes no difference to the details on the plate. The law says that manufactured pedelecs without full throttles are EAPCs, the DfT have said that conversions are also ...
5 Posts
#101 - fleccJune 13, 2016
The law does include that the plate has to be fitted to all EAPCs. Only new manufactured EAPCs have to be type approved, and the approval excludes them having a throttle. A conversion cannot be type approved and there is no need for ...
7 Posts
#109 - fleccJune 13, 2016
I only take notice of the actual legislation. To enlarge on my previous answer, as far as the DfT were concerned, the discussion agreement for Twist and Go was an agreement that the DfT would treat type approved T & Gs as EAPCs ...
#110 - shemozzle999June 14, 2016
flecc, applying your logic: If the manufacturers removed the battery and the name plate from their imported EAPC they could sell it as a pedal cycle as it does not have any means of assist. The consumer can then buy or have fitted ...
1 Post
#112 - fleccJune 14, 2016
True, but it's an obvious attempt to circumvent the law which I think would be very foolish. The DfT have used the expression "normal bicycle" in their discussions on conversion. I think even discussing this is unwise, it only ...
1 Post
#114 - fleccJune 14, 2016
The spirit of the DfT provision for conversions is very clear and doesn't provide for such dodges to circumvent both the law and what they've said. We all know what "normal bicycle" means. Adding to my previous answer, we've got ...
2 Posts
#117 - shemozzle999June 14, 2016
The efforts of the DfT are commendable they just have to make the final step to allow the various suggestions aired regarding manufactured pedal cycles and they would have fully justified their impact assessment statement of having ...
3 Posts
#121 - shemozzle999June 14, 2016
All I see is the DfT taking measures to honour their position rather than comply with what I feel is a dishonourable EU position. If they go down the type approval route it still leaves the sigma of the disadvantaged and elderly ...
2 Posts
#124 - shemozzle999June 15, 2016
Fortunately for the disadvantaged the DfT takes a less pedantic view on the definition of an EAPC.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there was a thread about it back in 2016, posted by Helenj I believe:

#1 - Pedelecs

26 results in this thread

News - DfT: Pedal cycles converted to ‘twist and go’ exempt from type approval
June 08, 2016 • 126 posts • 11121 viewsElectric Bike General Discussion
#1 - Pedelecs
#1 - PedelecsJune 08, 2016
3 Posts
#5 - fleccJune 08, 2016
No chance of that ever happening for the pedelec class, but if ever the DfT permit the S class, both would be permitted. .
5 Posts
#11 - craiggorJune 09, 2016
I think the daytime lights come when type aprovel comes.All new motor bikes have to have them from Jan 2016.I think this new statement finally makes a homebuilt bike legal.As for selling new bikes some where selling bikes with throttle ...
1 Post
#13 - fleccJune 09, 2016
The DfT has made a statement, effectively saying that conversions with throttles have no law preventing them fitting into the existing UK EAPC law. No legislation needs to be passed to make their throttles legal since there's nothing ...
3 Posts
#17 - trexJune 09, 2016
the DfT seem to say that type approval is only applicable to manufacturers and importers, not to individuals. I still can't see the difference between a push bike object becoming 'permitted bike' once hitting the public pathways ...
4 Posts
#22 - shemozzle999June 09, 2016
I wonder if you could confirm a couple of points. 1.Did the DfT email contain any disclaimer. 2. Regarding home builds would the DfT accept the home builders name for the purposes of the manufacturers information that has to ...
5 Posts
#28 - fleccJune 09, 2016
It's not seen as a new class, the DfT say that throttle pedelecs are still considered to be EAPCs. .
11 Posts
#40 - trexJune 09, 2016
by admitting that home build with twist and go is legal, I think the DfT won't be able to punish anyone using a twist and go throttle on a shop bought bike.
12 Posts
#53 - fleccJune 09, 2016
The most important part of the law with self builds is that they are not subject to type approval, even if all brand new items are used without any prior riding. I think the DfT has mentioned converting existing unpowered bikes in ...
8 Posts
#62 - fleccJune 10, 2016
This has been true since the consultation in 2011, when the January 2012 report on that revealed the strength of desire for throttles on UK pedelecs. Butthe DfT knew then that the requirement for harmonisation with the EU ...
4 Posts
#67 - fleccJune 10, 2016
I'd say EAPC is ok, since the DfT have clearly stated that they will consider an e-bike with a throttle which otherwise accords with the law to be an EAPC. .
15 Posts
#83 - shemozzle999June 13, 2016
Only the DfT can make that decision.
#84 - fleccJune 13, 2016
I'm convinced that is not the case. Our pedelecs are considered to be subject to bicycle law on the road as if they were bicycles, but in UK law they are EAPCs (Electric Assist Pedal Cycles). The provision that the DfT has made ...
1 Post
#86 - fleccJune 13, 2016
for this opinion is that a manufactured EAPC is potentially liable to type approval and is only on the road without it due to meeting the exemption conditions in the type approval law. Because it was already an EAPC at source ...
2 Posts
#89 - fleccJune 13, 2016
In this discussion I've only been concerned with the technicality of the law. From the moment that the DfT have said that throttles can be permitted on EAPCs subject to certain conditions, police interest will end. I cannot ...
#90 - KudoscyclesJune 13, 2016
accompanied by the latest Dft twist whatever that may be so that customers can make up their own mind as to the legality/ necessary type approval implications of fitting the throttle. From my viewpoint the Dft have made this ...
2 Posts
#93 - shemozzle999June 13, 2016
It would be better if the DfT decides and finally clears up the impossible position, while it still can, before the EU takes the next step which would be forthe EU to remove the member states power to impose type approval so ...
1 Post
#95 - fleccJune 13, 2016
It should already be plated as an EAPC and adding a throttle makes no difference to the details on the plate. The law says that manufactured pedelecs without full throttles are EAPCs, the DfT have said that conversions are also ...
5 Posts
#101 - fleccJune 13, 2016
The law does include that the plate has to be fitted to all EAPCs. Only new manufactured EAPCs have to be type approved, and the approval excludes them having a throttle. A conversion cannot be type approved and there is no need for ...
7 Posts
#109 - fleccJune 13, 2016
I only take notice of the actual legislation. To enlarge on my previous answer, as far as the DfT were concerned, the discussion agreement for Twist and Go was an agreement that the DfT would treat type approved T & Gs as EAPCs ...
#110 - shemozzle999June 14, 2016
flecc, applying your logic: If the manufacturers removed the battery and the name plate from their imported EAPC they could sell it as a pedal cycle as it does not have any means of assist. The consumer can then buy or have fitted ...
1 Post
#112 - fleccJune 14, 2016
True, but it's an obvious attempt to circumvent the law which I think would be very foolish. The DfT have used the expression "normal bicycle" in their discussions on conversion. I think even discussing this is unwise, it only ...
1 Post
#114 - fleccJune 14, 2016
The spirit of the DfT provision for conversions is very clear and doesn't provide for such dodges to circumvent both the law and what they've said. We all know what "normal bicycle" means. Adding to my previous answer, we've got ...
2 Posts
#117 - shemozzle999June 14, 2016
The efforts of the DfT are commendable they just have to make the final step to allow the various suggestions aired regarding manufactured pedal cycles and they would have fully justified their impact assessment statement of having ...
3 Posts
#121 - shemozzle999June 14, 2016
All I see is the DfT taking measures to honour their position rather than comply with what I feel is a dishonourable EU position. If they go down the type approval route it still leaves the sigma of the disadvantaged and elderly ...
2 Posts
#124 - shemozzle999June 15, 2016
Fortunately for the disadvantaged the DfT takes a less pedantic view on the definition of an EAPC.
But now all the links including HelenJ's original are shown as 404, not available. Try Helen's foot of the list link on this list.

As I've posted , it's only the law that counts, not casual legally unbacked statements.

And I repeat from my previous post:

The new MSVA test to allow throttles on pedelecs has a section specifically for amateur builds, kit bikes etc.

Clearly they wouldn't have written that in if they could already have throttles added without an MSVA certification.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
AS I've posted , it;'s only the law that counts, not casual unbacked statements.

And I repeat from my previous post:

The new MSVA test to allow throttles on pedelecs has a section specifically for amateur builds, kit bikes etc.

Clearly they wouldn't have written that in if they could already have throttles added without an MSVA certification.
there have been cases where the police is not interested in enforcing this sort of regulations.
I assume one way to figure it out is for pedelecs to ask the DfT to confirm if they still are not interested in going after the users.
I have also never heard of anyone being stopped by the police because he/she uses a throttle while riding under the speed limit.

Reactions: Roger ramjet

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
google still has the page:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

Updated on Feb 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM
The Department for Transport has today confirmed to Pedelecs that an ordinary cycle, already ridden on public roads as such and subsequently converted to a ‘twist and go’ electric bike, will not require type approval.
The DfT further clarified that type approval ‘only applies to new vehicles, not converted ones’.
The latest guidance on conversions follows on from news that electric bikes manufactured as a ‘twist and go’ from January 2016 will require type approval.
Their response reiterates that ‘twist and go’ type approval requirements are directed at the manufacturers, meaning that ‘riders making conversions are not committing an offence’ (with regard to type approval requirements).
It is also our understanding that, since not all cyclists are technically proficient in fitting conversion kits to a bike, that conversion can also be carried out by a business, so long as the bike in question has been ridden on public roads before conversion (i.e. the bike is not considered ‘new’).
The full response from the DfT reads:
“In response to your email about converting a normal pedal cycle which has first been used on the public road as a pedal cycle, I am pleased to report that type approval does not apply – it only applies to new vehicles, not converted ones. Therefore if you convert a pedal cycle which has already been ridden on the road to “twist and go” operation, it does not become subject to type approval. As previously noted, the regulations will be directed at the manufacturers and so riders making conversions are not committing an offence. Manufacturers are permitted to sell kits of this nature but would need to ensure they are in line with regulations if sold as EAPC kits (EAPC power and speed limits).”
Currently, new electric bikes fulfilling the definition of an EAPC (electrically assisted pedal cycle, limited to 15.5mph motor assistance/250w) are exempt from requiring the manufacturer to type approve before retailing. However, ‘twist and gos’, electric bikes manufactured with a throttle that can independently propel the bike forward without the rider needing to pedal, fell through the legislative cracks of type approval exemptions since motor assistance isn’t cut off when the rider ceases pedaling:
Article 2(h) of the EU Regulation No 168/2013 excludes from its scope the type approval of “pedal cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of less than or equal to 250 W, where the output of the motor is cut off when the cyclist stops pedalling and is otherwise progressively reduced and finally cut off before the vehicle speed reaches 25 km/h.”
Twist and gos are particularly popular with those who may have limited physical abilities but want to stay active and mobile.
H

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there have been cases where the police is not interested in enforcing this sort of regulations.
I assume one way to figure it out is for pedelecs to ask the DfT to confirm if they still are not interested in going after the users.
I have also never heard of anyone being stopped by the police because he/she uses a throttle while riding under the speed limit.
I don't care what pedelecers do, but it's important they are not misinformed on the law, since that can prove very costly, even bankrupt in a civil damages case.

Opinions on whether the police might or might not enforce are nothing like good enough.

The law now is absolutely clear. To legally have a throttle a pedelec supplied or built post 1st January 2016, whether manufactured or an amateur build, must have an MSVA test certificate complying with L1e-A 250 LPM UK only class.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
google still has the page:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

Updated on Feb 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM
The Department for Transport has today confirmed to Pedelecs that an ordinary cycle, already ridden on public roads as such and subsequently converted to a ‘twist and go’ electric bike, will not require type approval.
The DfT further clarified that type approval ‘only applies to new vehicles, not converted ones’.
The latest guidance on conversions follows on from news that electric bikes manufactured as a ‘twist and go’ from January 2016 will require type approval.
Their response reiterates that ‘twist and go’ type approval requirements are directed at the manufacturers, meaning that ‘riders making conversions are not committing an offence’ (with regard to type approval requirements).
It is also our understanding that, since not all cyclists are technically proficient in fitting conversion kits to a bike, that conversion can also be carried out by a business, so long as the bike in question has been ridden on public roads before conversion (i.e. the bike is not considered ‘new’).
The full response from the DfT reads:
“In response to your email about converting a normal pedal cycle which has first been used on the public road as a pedal cycle, I am pleased to report that type approval does not apply – it only applies to new vehicles, not converted ones. Therefore if you convert a pedal cycle which has already been ridden on the road to “twist and go” operation, it does not become subject to type approval. As previously noted, the regulations will be directed at the manufacturers and so riders making conversions are not committing an offence. Manufacturers are permitted to sell kits of this nature but would need to ensure they are in line with regulations if sold as EAPC kits (EAPC power and speed limits).”
Currently, new electric bikes fulfilling the definition of an EAPC (electrically assisted pedal cycle, limited to 15.5mph motor assistance/250w) are exempt from requiring the manufacturer to type approve before retailing. However, ‘twist and gos’, electric bikes manufactured with a throttle that can independently propel the bike forward without the rider needing to pedal, fell through the legislative cracks of type approval exemptions since motor assistance isn’t cut off when the rider ceases pedaling:
Article 2(h) of the EU Regulation No 168/2013 excludes from its scope the type approval of “pedal cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of less than or equal to 250 W, where the output of the motor is cut off when the cyclist stops pedalling and is otherwise progressively reduced and finally cut off before the vehicle speed reaches 25 km/h.”
Twist and gos are particularly popular with those who may have limited physical abilities but want to stay active and mobile.
H
But clearly the DfT have changed the rules now, having not posted any legal justification for what they said at that time.

Now the law says an MSVA must be obtained for amateur builds etc., other than those with grandfather rights.

See my new thread

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But clearly the DfT have changed the rules now, having not posted any legal justification for what they said at that time.

Now the law says an MSVA must be obtained for amateur builds etc., other than those with grandfather rights.

See my new thread
one way to find out if the DfT have changed the rules is to ask them the same question.
I note that the testing guidelines mentioned that the definition of 250W LPM Class is added in January 2019.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/774206/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval.pdf

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
one way to find out if the DfT have changed the rules is to ask them the same question.
I note that the testing guidelines mentioned that the definition of 250W LPM Class is added in January 2019.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/774206/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval.pdf
Of course, but that is the law now.

This whole issue is far too complicated already without confusing members on the basis of prior statements with no legal backing.

The previous law was clearly that post December 2015 pedelecs could not have throttles without type approval and home builds could not and still cannot have type approval.

Now both types from January 2019 can have MSVA as a substitute for type approval to have throttles.

These are the laws the courts will recognise, not unsupported statements of intent.

Such statements have to be supported in one of two ways, either definitive law, or an issue of guidance to all chief police officers as has happened on the 2013 temporary 250 watt permission and year 2000 permission for pavement cycling under certain circumstances.

Neither happened for kit build throttles.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have not found any published documents from the DfT regarding Class 250W LPM other than from the MSVA (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval) manual.
Until the government publishes - how are people supposed to know changes in the rules? Also, what happens to all the existing bikes with throttle before their publications?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have not found any published documents from the DfT regarding Class 250W LPM other than from the MSVA (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval) manual.
Until the government publishes - how are people supposed to know changes in the rules? Also, what happens to all the existing bikes with throttle before their publications?
The law you want is in this PDF from 2015. See under Power Assistance - Twist and Go, second paragraph specifying the type approval need. You'll also see it applied to individual vehicles, so there never was any permission for throttles on home builds, conversions etc, without type approval. Put another way, the law hasn't changed since April 2015, as I've been maintaining.

As for knowing, ignorance of the law is no excuse etc., we are rarely told.

However I don't see a problem. Those who have prior bikes and have a legal throttle don't need to be told any legal position.

Those who don't only need to know current law since April 2015, so that's all that needs be mentioned now.

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Flecc, thany you for your reassureance, — Pardon my ignorance but what is 250 LPM? - Litres per minute? Legs per Minute?
All this jargon takes me out of my depth.

Jim

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Low Power Moped

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, thany you for your reassureance, — Pardon my ignorance but what is 250 LPM? - Litres per minute? Legs per Minute?
All this jargon takes me out of my depth.

Jim
Yes, as AK says.

What the DfT have done is to move the pedelec with throttle up into the first motor vehicle class, which is Low Powered Moped still limited to 15.5 mph but allowed 1000 watts.

They've created a sub class for the UK only, saying that as long as it fits pedelec rules including 250 watts and has an MSVA test, it can have a throttle.

How the police are expected to be able to tell the difference between a 1000 watt LPM and a 250 watt LPM is anyone's guess! The former should be registered, with number plate and insured and the rider with a group Q driving licence minimum.

250LPM will be a great opportunity for them to dodge all that while looking entirely legal.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
LPM = Low Powered Moped eh? Really quite usless and ‘Jobs for the Boys’ in Brussells', even if we get out (Brexit) there will still be jobs for those in power, ie we can’t win as individuals!

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
LPM = Low Powered Moped eh? Really quite usless and ‘Jobs for the Boys’ in Brussells', even if we get out (Brexit) there will still be jobs for those in power, ie we can’t win as individuals!

Jim
We're far worse than the EU for bureaucracy. Their contribution now is the new designations of L1e-A for the 15.5 mph LPM class and L1e-B for the 28 mph moped class. So just names, and in some EU countries the rules are very easy. For example in France 14 year olds can ride any 50cc moped and drive their 30 mph cars class with a safety certificate. Anyone with an early car driving licence can ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and anyone born before 1988 can ride 50cc without any driving licence or safety certificate.

In contrast our latest UK contribution is to create a driving licence Group Q for the 15.5 mph 1000 watt bicycle based LPMs. That means CBT, theory test and driving test for what is a bicycle. How unnecessary is that? And don't forget that our original pedelec limits were 200 watts and 12 mph maximum assist speed until we had to gradually increase them to the EU figures.

I'm afraid those who've always blamed the EU for everything are going to get some very nasty shocks in future, if we ever really leave and our UK governments have full control over laws.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: POLLY

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
National governments have the freedom to add local specific clauses to EU directives and some are quite bad - the French Ministry of Agriculture for example tends to go overboard on many EU agriculture directives. If as flecc said the directives were applied as is then we would have s-pedelec class and UK kids would be riding pedelecs like the French ones are.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
As Jimo says jobs for the boys. How is a police officer going to give you a producer for your MSVA type aproval certificate for something that has not got a registration. Or will all bikes with throttles be confiscated on the spot unless type approval can be shown.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As Jimo says jobs for the boys. How is a police officer going to give you a producer for your MSVA type aproval certificate for something that has not got a registration. Or will all bikes with throttles be confiscated on the spot unless type approval can be shown.
None of those. Nothing will ever happen to anyone with a throttle equipped bike in normal circumstances if they are riding reasonably on an otherwise legal pedelec.

The only time it might just crop up is after an accident and a particularly zealous traffic officer is investigating, but even then it might just be a case of being told to take it off. Only if someone collided with is very seriously injured or killed could it get more serious.

But there's a very simple defence to show it isn't dangerous. The fact that large numbers of similar pedelecs do have legal throttles without MSVA, i.e. pre January 2016 machines, making it a technical regulatory offence, rather than one with practical consequences.

Last edited:

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
None of those. Nothing will ever happen to anyone with a throttle equipped bike in normal circumstances if they are riding reasonably on an otherwise legal pedelec.

The only time it might just crop up is after an accident and a particularly zealous traffic officer is investigating, but even then it might just be a case of being told to take it off. Only if someone collided with is very seriously injured or killed could it get more serious.

But there's a very simple defence to show it isn't dangerous. The fact that large numbers of similar pedelecs do have legal throttles without MSVA, i.e. pre January 2016 machines, making it a technical regulatory offence, rather than one with practical consequences.
As you say in your post 165 Opinions on wheather the police might or might not enforce are nothing like good enough.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you say in your post 165 Opinions on wheather the police might or might not enforce are nothing like good enough.
Agreed, but it won't change what happens in practice, which is that virtually none will go though MSVA with kit bikes, hence my defence tip to minimise the chance of serious consequences if ever caught.

Remember that the great majority of e-bikes were obviously illegally used in the UK between 10th November 2003 and 6th April 2013, yet there were only two attempts by police at a prosecution known of, and both failed to get to court.

So the risks of not complying with this far more obscure new measure are infinitesimally small.