Last word on the helmet debate?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I disagree with those who disagree, except where the proposition is in agreement with their disagreement. ;)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Are there any dis-advantages with wearing a helmet?
According to research, yes - vehicles are less likely to give you as much room when overtaking, compared to non helmet wearers (or better than that, non helmet wearing women).

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Its strange since starting back on the my bike over a year ago, I began by always wearing a helmet.

My wife being an ex nurse was insistant that I should and the kids always use to when we forced them lol.

Last summer she started to ride to work every day a short distance and I noticed she never wore a helmet :eek:

When I asked her why, she said she never rode on the main road so didn't need one :rolleyes:

Well the last few months I have stopped wearing one and I have to say I feel like I have been set free. It opens up the space around me, plus I don't end up with extra baggage to carry round with me either end of the ride.

I have to say I am unconvinced either way if I should wear one, but it so much easier not too!

Regards

Jerry

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Its strange since starting back on the my bike over a year ago, I began by always wearing a helmet.

My wife being an ex nurse was insistant that I should and the kids always use to when we forced them lol.

Last summer she started to ride to work every day a short distance and I noticed she never wore a helmet :eek:

When I asked her why, she said she never rode on the main road so didn't need one :rolleyes:

Well the last few months I have stopped wearing one and I have to say I feel like I have been set free. It opens up the space around me, plus I don't end up with extra baggage to carry round with me either end of the ride.

I have to say I am unconvinced either way if I should wear one, but it so much easier not too!

Regards

Jerry
so it was nothing to do with the hair then ?
I do wear one,not having a lot of hair !!! just invested in a boardman one...very nice..its that light you can hardly tell,unlike the cheapo polystyrene covered one with hardly any vents that i used to have.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

The last word Barry, you must joking:rolleyes: , but it could be the last word for non helmet wearers:eek:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I prefer wearing one - an don't get hot and sweaty in it as its pretty well vented being a specialized one.

I actually feel more vunrable without one and riding, same with gloves.
I think it feels more distant to me due to riding motorbikes and having so much gear on for the just incase that riding without any protective gear feels awkward.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
...I actually feel more vunrable without one and riding, same with gloves....
I should add (but I don't know the research) that there could be some risk compensation - so you feel safer and adjust your risk accordingly. It is possible that helmet wearers (of which I am one) could ride more dangerously.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I should add (but I don't know the research) that there could be some risk compensation - so you feel safer and adjust your risk accordingly. It is possible that helmet wearers (of which I am one) could ride more dangerously.
I'm living evidence of the other side of this coin, not wearing one possibly makes one safer. I've always taken great care not to bang my head in over 64 years of cycling and have avoided getting any other injuries cycling during that time. Of course for around half of those years, wearing one was not an option, they didn't exist.

Moglie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2010
If you want to know whether to wear a helmet or not, I spent a great deal of time in the high care dependency unit at Southampton Neurological Unit in the early 90's - I wasn't the patient, unfortunately my then fiancee was and you see all kinds of head injuries, some brain haemorrhages, strokes etc - the odd cycling head injury.

In my humble opinion, you have to be mad not to wear a cycling helmet or any other kind of helmet where there is a likelihood your head might meet with tarmac or concrete.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oops, this seems to be turning into a proper helmet debate!:eek:
Yup, it is! :D

Moglie's medical contribution completes the familiar wearer and non-wearer argument pattern which on past evidence will now be repeated over and over again for at least five web pages. :(

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, let's save ourselves a lot of time and simply use the comprehensive search facility to dig up all the old threads. ;)

Moglie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2010
Yup, it is! :D

Moglie's medical contribution completes the familiar wearer and non-wearer argument pattern which on past evidence will now be repeated over and over again for at least five web pages. :(
Huh, I didn't start the thread, just responded. Didn't realise that was frowned on!

I'll go off an make tea shall I :rolleyes:

C

Cyclezee

I don't really want to get involved in this topic again, but as a cyclist, motorist, ex motorcyclist, healthcare professional and simple logical person, I just fail to understand the argument against wearing a helmet whilst cycling:confused:

The most careful cyclist in the world can come cropper due to a mechanical mishap, slippery or icy roads, potholes etc., or be a victim of the other idiot in or on any type of vehicle you care to think of and a helmet might just prevent serious injury or death.

Having said that, I have failed to persuade my son to wear one on his daily commute. I really don't want to be the one to say I told you so:eek: