Latest rear wheel conversion kit from Cyclotricity

Phil T

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2014
Milton Keynes
If anyone knows how to turn the photos around I would appreciate it, they appear the right way up on my screen but alas not yours!! My apologies gents.....

CardiffMark

Jul 3, 2014
Evening All,

Well, after two days of enjoyable if a little challenging work my new bike, which I'm calling Green Machine is finished.
As a complete novice I found the rear wheel fit a little challenging..I didn't expect to have to change the freewheel and the one from the original wheel was not a screw on type.

A suitable unit was sourced and fitted..and after a little messing with the rear disc it all fitted fine.

A big thanks to John from Cyclezee for supplying the torque arm and much helpful advice..sorry for disturbing you at home!

I've now set the LCD controller up..can anyone advise if setting the speed to max fully de restricts the motor?

On the first test ride I was a little disappointed with its hill climbing but it does have my not inconsiderable 18 stone bulk to carry around..on the flat it flys along nicely!

More to follow when I've done a few more miles.

Cheers,

Phil.

View attachment 9051
Hi Phil
You got yours fitted a lot quicker than I have. Looks great and really neatly done.I'm not sure about the derestrict. When I set the parameters in the LCD it showed the max speed as 72 mph I think, so I have left it at that for now. I am nearly there now, just struggling with the rear brake caliper. Haven't got the clearance for the calliper between the disc and the motor. My caliper is hydraulic but I notice yours is a cable pull type. Did you have any problem with the calliper clearance? Has your calliper got a makers name or model number on it? I will probably get a cable pull calliper anyway so I can use the electric cut off brake lever that came with the kit.
Will let you know how fast mine goes on the flat and how it climbs, bearing in mind I am a little lighter (12 stone) than your good self.
d8veh has described how I may be able to get the calliper to fit with spacers and slight frame widening but I would prefer to do it with a slimmer calliper if possible.
Keep us informed on how you get on Phil.

D

Deleted member 4366

Cable disc brake calipers can be wider than hydraulic ones. The cheapest ones like the ones for the £100 disc brake bikes are quite thin. I don't know who makes them, but they're pretty useless anyway.

There's a thread on Endless-Sphere about it, where loads of people measured theirs and published the results so you know which one to get. With a rear motor or front with non - suspension forks you can use a disc spacer between the disc and motor.

Phil T

Jul 9, 2014
Milton Keynes
Hi Mark,my calliper went on OK, There was a spacer on the motor which I ende up removing and it then fitted fine. I'm away this weekend but when I get home I'll have a look at the calliper and give you some details. I agree with d8veh though, the cable calipers are not great so finding a way to fit your hydraulic would be favourite. I haven't bothered with the cut out levers..
Cheers,
Phil.

CardiffMark

Jul 3, 2014
Finally got on the road for a quick test, albeit without a rear brake. All worked well, throttle without pedalling on the flat got to 20mph before maxing out. Pedal assist also got to about 21 mph before cutting out. Max speed in the settings within the LCD is showing at 72mph so it is obviously restricted somewhere else. Accidentally found some other settings within the LCD of P1, P2, P3, P4, P5. These all had a different number against them. Possibly they have some bearing on the power/speed limit. Does anyone know what these P settings do? Obviously on the Cyclotricity web site it says you have to contact them to get the derestriction code and sign a disclaimer to say you will only use the de restricted mode on private land, so will be contacting Rami at Cyclotricity to see what I need to do. Will keep everyone updated.

CardiffMark

Jul 3, 2014
Have had the derestriction info from Cyclotricity. Bike accelerates a LOT faster. Reached about 29 mph on the flat on just the throttle (on private land). Couldn't pedal fast enough on the pedal assist. The freewheel has a 14 tooth on the smallest spocket. Will change it as soon as I can for one with 11T. I have to say I am really pleased with the kit. In the restricted mode, from full charge to dead battery, using lots of max throttle and PAS setting 4 and 5, I did over 40 miles. The bike weighs in at about 24Kg. I am 73Kg. Over that period I averaged over 18 mph with VERY light pedalling or no pedalling. On my commute, which is a 13 mile round trip on mainly flat smooth surface, I have to say the restricted mode is more than adequate. I estimate in unrestricted mode, and using full power a lot of the time, the range would be down to about 20 (exciting) miles. It really does accelerate hard up to its max speed. Maybe the 500 watt kit would have been a good compromise. I have never used a front hub motor as this is my first ebike, but I think I would prefer this rear drive solution, especially with this extra power. Fitting the rear kit would definitely be more involved than a front hub which I imagine is relatively straight forward in comparison. Torque arms are a must, and I am still to resolve my lack of rear brake, although I have plans!! I leave the house at the same time as I used to drive to the station, and get to work 15 minutes earlier, and not at all tired or sweaty. Have yet to see rain though. Will keep records of battery life over the next few days and give a more accurate assessment on range.
Up to now, I am loving my new ebike. Hope the sun keeps shining.

Phil T

Jul 9, 2014
Milton Keynes
Hi Mark,
I got my de restriction instructions today..wow, what a difference! The bike now shoots off with my not inconsiderable bulk hanging on for all I'm worth!
Hills are not a problem any more and it got to 35mph before I bottled out..
Used about 1 bar of charge to do 5 miles though..but that was really using it to the full..longer distance reports to follow.
The rear calliper on my bike is just marked Clarks..pictures show the instal which is OK but not much room to spare. Brake performance overall is marginal at best..
Overall I'm well pleased..but I can feel temptation already starting to wonder about what this kit would be like in a quality chassis..
Watch this space,
Cheers,
Phil.image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

CardiffMark

Jul 3, 2014
You've been doing 29mph, on the flat, with no back brake?

You're a braver man that I :eek:
Hi
Hi Mark,
I got my de restriction instructions today..wow, what a difference! The bike now shoots off with my not inconsiderable bulk hanging on for all I'm worth!
Hills are not a problem any more and it got to 35mph before I bottled out..
Used about 1 bar of charge to do 5 miles though..but that was really using it to the full..longer distance reports to follow.
The rear calliper on my bike is just marked Clarks..pictures show the instal which is OK but not much room to spare. Brake performance overall is marginal at best..
Overall I'm well pleased..but I can feel temptation already starting to wonder about what this kit would be like in a quality chassis..
Watch this space,
Cheers,
Phil.View attachment 9096View attachment 9097
Hi Phil
Just this second resolved my rear brake problem. I ordered a 203mm disc and an adaptor bracket and I can now, by about 1mm, get my calliper on. Very pleased. My brakes are hydraulic and are quite strong, so can haul me down pretty quickly. I see yours are cable pull callipers, so they won't be as strong. I know what you mean about upgrading the bike. The kit is worthy of a good bike. Mine's just about ok for the moment, but I'm sure it won't be long before I start looking to upgrade either the whole bike, or some of the components. Like you I am VERY impressed with the kit. It is a joy getting on it in the morning and going to work!

D

Deleted member 4366

A hydraulic front brake will make it a lot safer. Try and get one with a rotor at least 180mm.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Any details on this kit. Who makes the motor, batteries etc ?
Is it decent quality
How much is the kit.
I have a 250w cyclotricity kit for the past 6 months and I have been really impressed with it, but Im looking to get a cargo bike, and so would like another kit with more shove to cope with the huge weight. Just wondering if this is an option depending on price.

C

Cyclezee

Is it decent quality
How much is the kit.
I have a 250w cyclotricity kit for the past 6 months and I have been really impressed with it, but Im looking to get a cargo bike, and so would like another kit with more shove to cope with the huge weight. Just wondering if this is an option depending on price.
Hi Elecman,

Just to let you know that you can get 'off the shelf' electric cargo bikes.

Below are links to a couple that we stock
http://cyclezee.com/ezee-yuba-el-mundo.html
http://cyclezee.com/ezee-expedir-utility-bikes.html

CardiffMark

Jul 3, 2014
Is it decent quality
How much is the kit.
Hi Elecman
Kit cost just under £800 with the 1000watt motor, 48volt 11 amp motor and the LCD display (which you need do deresrict the kit).
The kit itself is well made and all the connectors are colour coded so you literally cannot go wrong. I had a few installation problems mentioned earlier, but none due to the kit itself. As I said earlier, out of the box in the restricted mode, with a good level of PAS assistance and averaging 18mph I got 40 miles from the first charge. I am 72kg ant this was mostly on the flat with some smallish hills. I didn't break sweat to achieve this.
As an experiment, I set it in derestricted mode on a full charge. I had the PAS on level 4, which meant it was accelerating hard from slow speed up to about 23mph and once cruising I was only turning the pedals to keep the PAS activated so it was pretty much all motor and very little me. I drained the battery in 20, fun filled miles. Because of my gearing, I cannot actually pedal the bike faster than 22mph. My smallest rear sprocket is 14T on the freewheel. I have looked everywhere for an 11T or 12T freewheel but they don't seem to be made anymore now that cassettes have pretty much taken over. I have managed to find a freewheel with a 13T sprocket and have ordered that.
For commuting my 10 mile round journey, mainly on the flat, the restricted mode happily does 20 mph and in PAS level 4 there isn't much pedalling involved and 40 miles per charge is impressive. I have a physical job, on my feet a lot of the day so I don't need the exercise of cycling. This is purely transport for me and means I have a 15 minute ride instead of a £3.60 30 minute train journey.
Butttttt.....at the weekend, derestricted and on private land, it really is FUN.
I would recommend the kit to anyone who wanted a relatively easy install (for a rear drive kit), and a years warranty. I am sure if you were an expert like d8veh, or with his advice, you could do a similar build for a good few hundred pounds less though.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Cheers, thanks for the reply !

CardiffMark

Jul 3, 2014
Quick update. The kit is still working perfectly. It still impresses me every time I ride it. I am slowly upgrading the bike around the kit. Have upgraded the discs to 203mm for extra stopping power which also allows me to fit the rear caliper which now clears the motor, just. Have ordered a suspension seat post to take the worst out of pot holes and tree roots. I have got a better freewheel with a 13T lowest cog as the current 14T doesn't allow me to put any power into the pedals over about 22mph. I would rather have got an 11T but the lowest I could find in a freewheel (would have been no problem getting a cassette with 11T) was the 13T. If anyone knows where I could get lower than a 13T in a freewheel please let me know. I haven't fitted the new freewheel yet. I bought a freewheel remover but it would not fit over the 14mm axle. Tried drilling it oiut but it is hardened steel and just wrecked the drill bit. I have ordered a different one from Evans Cycles. It says it is a Park tool with thin walls so hopefully it will go over the 14mm axle.

CardiffMark

Jul 3, 2014
Meant to say on previous post that I noticed Cyclotricity are selling a complete bike, similar to their Stealth, but with the 1000W rear motor conversion fitted. Selling for £1095. The kit is just under £800, so for anyone who doesn't want to get their hands dirty or doesn't feel confident fitting the kit, an extra £300 all fitted to a bike seems reasonable. I bought my bike for £200 (but it cost the previous owner £600), so I have got a better quality bike for around £1000. It has been a bit of a faff getting it how I want it, but I enjoy messing about with things so not a problem. Others may think it was a pain in the derriere.