LCD S866 + Brainpower controller

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
I first thought it would change the default PAS level on power up but I haven't noticed any change when messing with P19. There is another setting that is already used for disabling/enabling PAS and throttle, P10 so this must be something else entirely but no idea what it is. I did change the description a little, it used to say "P19: 0 gear enable bit, 0: 0 gear, 1: 0 gear". So according to that both options would result in "0 gear".

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It might be PAS disable. Sometimes they refer to to PAS levels as gears. I wish i could remember what the problem that I had was. It was something really unusual, like the PAS only worked once. If you stopped pedalling, it wouldn't start up again unless you switched off and on again. I had to go through all the settings until I found one that fixed it.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Well, that's what P10 does:
P10: Drive mode:
0 = PAS (1:1) enabled (throttle is disabled)
1 = Throttle enabled (PAS is disabled)
2 = PAS and throttle are both enabled.

It could be a function that's not even available on this controller. P04 (Standby timer) doesn't seem to work either.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Can't believe I missed it, P19 simply removes PAS level 0. That way you can not (temporarily) disable PAS by selecting level 0. I have updated the description for P19 in the user manual and also made a few other changes. If anyone wants me to add or change something, please let me know. You can also find my updated picture of the Brainpower controller connectors under Post 179 (page 9 of this thread), for whoever is interested or in need of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

orcecaveman

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2019
Would this controller and display be suitable to replace the items I have. Pictures attached
Or, is there a better setup that you'd recommend please?
I still have to get my motor to run. Hopefully the new pas sensor will fix it. (I'm just thinking of how to upgrade when I do get it running)
Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Any controller will work, but I always think that it's worth spending the £60 on a KT controller and LCD because it has a much better control system and we know all the settings, plus there are many power options 14A, 15A, 17A and 20A that's also adjustable in the settings.

Reactions: orcecaveman

orcecaveman

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2019
Any controller will work, but I always think that it's worth spending the £60 on a KT controller and LCD because it has a much better control system and we know all the settings, plus there are many power options 14A, 15A, 17A and 20A that's also adjustable in the settings.
Thanks. Have you any links at all please?

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Vfr400 is right, The KT controllers are better. By the way, we do know all the settings of the brainpower controller now (see my updated usermanual). The only difference is the brain power controllers are intended to be used at a max of 13 Amps. To be fair, I don't need more but if you do, a KT is a better choice. Also the Brainpower is not a sine wave but a block controller. You can hear this when riding your bike as a soft whine/hum from the hub motor. I kind of like it because people can hear me cycling behind them, really handy on narrow bike lanes when you want to overtake. The KT controllers are very quiet, if that's your thing get a KT.

orcecaveman

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2019
Thanks everybody for the information. If you've seen my other thread you'll know Im just waiting delivery of a new pedal sensor and hopefully I'll get one of my two bikes running. I'll then look at upgrading with a KT kit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For KT.
PSWPower.com or https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Torque-Simulation-Square-Wave-controller/1314442_506832000.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100008.7.28203f3cqFM6mo

Also Okfeet

Use the pane RHS for other KT parts.

orcecaveman

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2019
For KT.
PSWPower.com or https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Torque-Simulation-Square-Wave-controller/1314442_506832000.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100008.7.28203f3cqFM6mo

Also Okfeet

Use the pane RHS for other KT parts.
Thanks ive looked at the PSW Power items and I'm confused at which one I'd need to be honest. Could you possibly point one out for me please?
Sorry I'm an electrical dunce !

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

orcecaveman

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2019
If your motor is hall sensored you need the sinewave controller.

Depending on the current you want you can get them from 12a - 25a for 36/48v hubs.
Sorry, as I said, I'm an electrical dunce, but trying to learn.
How do i tell if my motor is hall sensored please?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The 17 amp 36v gives a bit more power as long as you have a decent battery. The 15A one is a the same power as what your Brainpower one gives.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sorry, as I said, I'm an electrical dunce, but trying to learn.
How do i tell if my motor is hall sensored please?
You have to look at the motor wire connection from the hub or it's connection to the controller.
Does it have only 3 thick wires an unsensored hub for a square wave controller or
3 thick wires and 5 or 6 thinner hall wires a sensored hub for a sinewave controller.
Show us a good pic of the motor wires connected to the controller.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
The larger 5 wire connector is the hall sensor connector. If it had been 6 wires you would have also had a speed sensor (also a hall sensor) in your hub. Without a speed sensor in the hub the controller will work just fine but the display won't show speed when coasting. You can add an external sensor if you want.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need one of the controllers linked to in #192, it must be a sinewave model and you will need to buy the compatible LCD. So LCD3, 5 or 8.

Advertisers