Legality of high power conversion kits

Hilly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2019
Hi every one,

I'm currently commuting 30miles each way some days on a Haibike Sduro. It's fun but takes too long to do every day. I was looking at getting a Pedelec with a 28mph top speed but it looks like they cost around £5k which is out of my price range.

A cheaper option would be to buy one of the high power conversion kits, buy a decent MTB (and put road tyres on it) and build it myself. my question is, assuming I get it MOT's and tax and insure it will this b legal to ride on the road as on a moped license or is there some kind of manufacturers certificate needed?

Thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Legit ones in S pedelecs class will come with certificate of conformity to make registration easier, no certificate means self certificating via the SVA route.

• Agree
Reactions: Hilly and Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think I've seen that the SVA certification costs £55, and needs to be done in Southampton. (Maybe the Southampton bit was just the least inconvenient choice for some previous poster)

Reactions: Hilly

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you're going for registration, you might as well buy a petrol moped, which will be easier, cheaper, more reliable, more comfortable, have better brakes and tyres and would be faster.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi every one,

I'm currently commuting 30miles each way some days on a Haibike Sduro. It's fun but takes too long to do every day. I was looking at getting a Pedelec with a 28mph top speed but it looks like they cost around £5k which is out of my price range.

A cheaper option would be to buy one of the high power conversion kits, buy a decent MTB (and put road tyres on it) and build it myself. my question is, assuming I get it MOT's and tax and insure it will this b legal to ride on the road as on a moped license or is there some kind of manufacturers certificate needed?

Thanks!
The do it yourself route is far from easy, a couple who've done it have said if they'd known what was involved at the outset, they wouldn't have bothered.

However, here's some links for you:

A brief account from someone who's done it.

The MSVA Manuals (Single Vehicle Approval)

SVA Fees

N.B. You need to choose the 2 wheeled option at £85, the one at £55 is only for lower speed bikes.

Registering an already approved S class bike

Even that last one with a conformity certificate isn't entirely easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hilly