Leisure v Utility

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
80% Transport / 20% Leisure - though with a lot of the transport rides I add a few extra miles on leisure routes for the fun of it. i.e get off the train a few stops early and travel a longer scenic route rather than a more direct route home.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
100% transport. With two young kids I don't get time for leisure riding - all my cycling is on my commute.

Michael

AlunW

Just Joined
Oct 3, 2014
Around 50/50. Regular daily trips into town shopping &c, and around weekly longer trips into the Cotswolds

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Almost 100% utility, I suppose. Work five days a week, then shopping, taking things to the tip etc on others. I have had people say: 'I saw you on your electric bike the other day', and I've no idea where or when, but it helps spread the word, I suppose, if they know it's electric. They are definitely increasing in my area.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
very interesting... that wasn't what the we were expecting. The general consensus we were expecting was that eBikes would be used more as a form of transport, and less as a leisure pursuit.

I wonder how accurate a representation this small sample is of the general eBike buying population?
Evidence from years ago when cheap shopper e-bikes were the largest sellers was that they were almost entirely used for transport. But as the general riding quality of e-bikes improved, there seems to be plenty of indications that the e-bike enthusiasts at least are using them increasingly for leisure.

Personally my 50/50 usage of a solo bike didn't change when I adopted an e-bike in addition, but the previously rare use with a trailer did increase dramatically with the e-bike doing the towing, carrying goods in my case. That overall altered my riding in time terms to about 65% utility, 35% leisure. More recently age has reversed that as e-assistance with heavy loads in my very hilly area proved increasingly inadequate.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I find an ebike to be a real tonic. After years of being agoraphobic i am now out and about at every available opportunity. They do say that when you ride a bike your body produces / releases endorphins which makes you feel happy. It works for me! I was a motorist for over 40 years but in recent times i rarely went out in the car, averaging just 1000 miles a year. So, my answer is, the bike is now my only form of transport, if i can't get there on my bike i don't go there!

Last edited:
Reactions: danielrlee and trex

Andrew2505

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 27, 2014
FWIW. currently I commute by bike most work days but it's short distance stuff (3 miles each way) but leisure is distance stuff. so on numbers of journeys it's 80% commute but distance would be 80-90% leisure.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mines a bit odd really.. We run a small eBay business and I go to the post office daily, so is that work? Using my e-bike I look forward to going and sometimes find a big hill to climb that's not on my route, so it's not really work, it's leasure.... Sort of!!

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Perhaps I should add that my 100% transport is on a non-electric bike! Waiting for a phone call from LEBC with bated breath ...

Michael

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
100% leisure for me. I would have given up bikes by now if not for the electrics.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Almost 100% transport - 120 miles this week, but sometimes use too just for the pleasure. Also have an unpowered bike for leisure riding, trips to shops etc.