Lekkie Bling Ring alternative 42T for Bafang BBS01/2 - £31 del.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi all

In the quest to improve the chainline and to give a lower gearing compared to the stock Bafang 44t chainring, I have been looking for a cheaper alternative than shelling out £70+ on a Lekkie Bling Ring and found this on Aliexpress for £31 delivered inc VAT

Have took a punt and ordered one, Will update with review and pics when it arrives

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi all

In the quest to improve the chainline and to give a lower gearing compared to the stock Bafang 44t chainring, I have been looking for a cheaper alternative than shelling out £70+ on a Lekkie Bling Ring and found this on Aliexpress for £31 delivered inc VAT

Have took a punt and ordered one, Will update with review and pics when it arrives

Coincidentally, I'm thinking of buying the 60T version to go faster on the flats (unpowered by the motor), so I'd love to hear abut how you get on:

How robust are these aluminium alloy chainwheels? They're not much of a monetary gamble at that price, but potentially distressing if they warp!

In case anyone is interested in up to 80T, or alternative chainwheels with a chainguard for Bafangs, which I haven't tried either:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi all

Looks OK and as long as it is properly heat treated, should do the job.
Coincidentally, I'm thinking of buying the 60T version to go faster on the flats (unpowered by the motor), so I'd love to hear abut how you get on:

How robust are these aluminium alloy chainwheels? They're not much of a monetary gamble at that price, but potentially distressing if they warp!

In case anyone is interested in up to 80T, or alternative chainwheels with a chainguard for Bafangs, which I haven't tried either:

That one is for the BBSHD motor and does not have the same offset as the Bling Ring, maybe 1-2mm more than the standard Bafang chainwheel.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sorry, those chainrings bolt on direct to the motor, so no adapter needed, but will fit all bbs01/02. Note they are flat, so no offset which may change your chainline.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sorry, those chainrings bolt on direct to the motor, so no adapter needed, but will fit all bbs01/02.
That's good info, thank you - my bbs01b seems to manage the steepest hills locally easily on second to lowest gear, therefore I have been thinking about going from 52T to 60T for quite some time... maybe I can work up to 40mph on the flats, without looking too frantic...

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
That's good info, thank you - my bbs01b seems to manage the steepest hills locally easily on second to lowest gear, therefore I have been thinking about going from 52T to 60T for quite some time... maybe I can work up to 30mph on the flats...
60T is quite a jump, just be wary of keeping the motor speed up when climbing, otherwise you will blow your controller. How many teeth do you have on your highest gear on the rear?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
60T is quite a jump, just be wary of keeping the motor speed up when climbing, otherwise you will blow your controller. How many teeth do you have on your highest gear on the rear?
I've got 11T on the rear. That's a good point about the controller.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's extremely irritating that I can't have a double chain wheel at the front and a shifter: 60T annd 52T would be perfect. But impossible it seems.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It's extremely irritating that I can't have a double chain wheel at the front and a shifter: 60T annd 52T would be perfect. But impossible it seems.
Precialps used to make a double chainring for the Bafang motors, but I'm sure it's been discontinued. You could have a manual change setup with an adapter, just ride with a disposible glove on your RH, :)but I'm not sure you can get chainwheels over 52T in 104bcd.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Precialps used to make a double chainring for the Bafang motors, but I'm sure it's been discontinued. You could have a manual change setup with an adapter, just ride with a disposible glove on your RH, :)but I'm not sure you can get chainwheels over 52T in 104bcd.
Disposable glove :D. I'll have a chat with the local bike shop and see if he can rig something up if I get that adapter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I used a double up front with BBS01 and a derailleur, the rear was alfine8 hub gears.
The smallest ring you can fit is a 32 might be a 34.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I used a double up front with BBS01 and a derailleur, the rear was alfine8 hub gears.
The smallest ring you can fit is a 32 might be a 34.
That's great! How did you get double up front? Was there a shifter, or did you carry around a disposable glove? Was it some sort of custom assembly of your own, or an off the shelf kit? If so, what's it called and where can I buy one?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I used a shimano 3 spd front trigger and a triple derailleur from my box of spares, one just has to play with derailleur adjustment stops. The spider adapter was a china 104bcd for bafang mid motors nothing special and the chain rings again out of my box of spares, I had to play with the rings/ adapter set up and used some washers to get the clearance correct for a 9 spd chain. Cross chaining and high low gear selecting wasn't an issue as I used alfine 8 hub gears, all I had to get right was the front changing.

The 17" frame mtb is still fitted with the double set up but is minus a wheel and some bits as the controller blew again and I haven't had the time to try a remote KT controller set up again.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Long time, forgot to update this thread with info about this chainwheel....received in just under 2 weeks from China. Easy to fit, works well, well made. Note : the price has crept up to about £39 delivered now but you may have a discount coupon and cashback (topcashback etc) to bring the price down...One thing to note it does fit very close to the the plastic main drive cover (see pics)
I estimate it brings in the chainline about 3-4mm (improved offset) closer inwards compared to the stock 44t Bafang chainwheel
It weighs in at 178g compared to the stock steel 44t bafang chainring at 273 (not including plastic chain guard)
anyway, here's some pics

Attachments

Last edited:

Nicholas Hammond

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2018
Just a cautionary note about changing from one chainring to another by hand especially if the power could kick in unexpectedly from the cadence sensor. I have one slightly shorter finger as the result of getting it chopped off when I was 4 years old whilst playing with my tricycle upside down with fixed wheel of course! Cut it off very cleanly though.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I hope I’m not too late. Check to see if you have some disposable fingers first please, see my later reply below.
That's a very good point! I use the screwdriver (shaft) that I always keep in my toolkit, because my fingers have been caught before (in a non-pedelec) many years ago. Young bones are softer and of course smaller, sorry to hear about yours.

Nicholas Hammond

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2018
That's a very good point! I use the screwdriver (shaft) that I always keep in my toolkit, because my fingers have been caught before (in a non-pedelec) many years ago. Young bones are softer and of course smaller, sorry to hear about yours.
That was 70 years ago and I haven’t done it since.

• :D
Reactions: Fordulike