Lights again

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Given the amount of lighting on my bike now, no motorists could ever claim they hadn't seen me. I bought the Cree lamp of ebay we discussed further up the thread - OMG it's bright! This is in addition to my Hermanns dynohub-powered lamps and numerous reflectors (wheels, frame, armbands etc.)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Given the amount of lighting on my bike now, no motorists could ever claim they hadn't seen me. I bought the Cree lamp of ebay we discussed further up the thread - OMG it's bright! This is in addition to my Hermanns dynohub-powered lamps and numerous reflectors (wheels, frame, armbands etc.)
That's good to know. All you need now is a device to block mobile telephone signals and you won't be run over by someone updating their Facebook page or sending a text message whilst driving.

Reactions: axolotl

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
D

Deleted member 4366

Better get some decent sunglasses for night riding then.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I was using the single bulb version tonight whilst working outside, and have to admit that a similar though crossed my mind.

One thing that I don't think that has possibly been mentioned in this thread, is also that it's sensible to carry a mini/micro torch for when things inevitably go wrong with everything else.

Last edited:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
One thing that I don't think that has possibly been mentioned in this thread, a is also that it's sensible to carry a mini/micro torch for when things inevitably go wrong with everything else.
That thought crossed my mind this morning in the pitch black lanes, my battery-to-light connector disconnected. Had to instantly slam on and fumble about feeling for the wires.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
If I'm out at night on the bike or motorbike, I always have a Petzl head-torch on me somewhere. Brilliant for minor repairs/adjustments, light as a feather, and can be used as a headlight in an emergency to get me home (although probably not on the motorbike, to be fair).

Pontus

Just Joined
Sep 7, 2014
The nights are drawing in, and soon people will be asking about the best lights. Here's a new one from Banggood for £12.41 including postage:
http://www.banggood.com/LED10-U_S-CREE-U2-Chip-10W-Motorcycle-Headlight-Motor-Lamps-HiLo-Beam-p-936965.html
I just ordered this but it will take a couple of weeks to get it. Do you have to have this very large "motorcycle" button that you have linked to on other posts? Is there no button on the lamp itself? I cant see any one the pictures, but I cant see any switch at all so maybe I am missing it, because some sort of button must there be since you can choose between High-Low effect?

D

Deleted member 4366

There's no switch. You can put an in-line jack plug and socket on the cable, and just plug it in when you need it, or you need to wire a switch to it.

Wiring like this:

Banggood wiring.jpg

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
How do you change the hi/lo modes on the bangood lights?

D

Deleted member 4366

How do you change the hi/lo modes on the bangood lights?
You wave your magic wand.

Mine has two modes: on and off, even though it says high and low in the listing.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi/lo = on/off

I've seen far worse Chinese to English translations online

You could argue on/off is just an extreme definition of hi/lo .....not sure I will though

Pontus

Just Joined
Sep 7, 2014
Ok strange because they write High 1000LM Low 500LM, sounds like two different levels of light. But if you have one I guess you are correct.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Could it be you choose high or low LM by the voltage you run through it ? Might be clever circuit.that chooses 500lm if 10v or under and high if over (for example)?

Seems doubtful

D

Deleted member 4366

Of course it might be that I'm not clever enough to figure out how it works. I'm still struggling with the TV remote.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I just ordered this but it will take a couple of weeks to get it. Do you have to have this very large "motorcycle" button that you have linked to on other posts? Is there no button on the lamp itself? I cant see any one the pictures, but I cant see any switch at all so maybe I am missing it, because some sort of button must there be since you can choose between High-Low effect?
I received mine. What is nice is that it has a nice wide beam.

The problem is that it's not that bright. 10W is definitely not enough and I'd be happy with 2 of them. Or something twice more powerful

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford

The problem is that it's not that bright. 10W is definitely not enough and I'd be happy with 2 of them. Or something twice more powerful
Then something's not quite right. Where are you aiming it? I'm surprised it has a wide beam as it looked like the reflector was a decent size so I would have expected it to project well.

Also one 10W XM-L with a circular beam like this is at the limit of what is acceptable to other road users - any more is too bright. If it's all running properly and is aimed correctly but you still need more light then you'll need to start looking at purposely shaped road beams if it's being used on the road.

Michael

D

Deleted member 4366

What voltage do you have it connected to?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
56v fully charged. 50v under load

Last edited: