Lights again

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
In practice light power, like all power needs to be handled responsibly. My eyesight is very poor, which is why I quit driving. I sometimes ride on dark country lanes. There are no streetlights. The darkness on these lanes is such that most city dwellers have never seen anything like it. So I feel entitled to use as much light as a car driver as long as I do not dazzle other road users.

Even when using high power, I tend to keep the main part of the beam focussed about twenty feet in front of me, rather than parallel with the road surface. If a vehicle approaches from the front, I either tilt the lamp further down, or switch to low power by pressing the illuminated button on the rear of the lamp. The lamp shell is aluminium, and acts a heatsink. It does get quite warm, so a fair amount of watts is being dissipated. Incidentally, the lamp comes with a harness so it can be used as a head torch, with the battery pack in your pocket.

To sum up, IMO this is a great effective lamp at a low price, provided it is used responsibly.

Reactions: EddiePJ and mfj197

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Ok, so I have finally got to the end of this thread and feel I can provide some interesting feedback for you all.

d8veh has linked to this a recommended product:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-Lumen-CREE-XML-T6-LED-BICYCLE-BIKE-CYCLING-FRONT-HEAD-LIGHT-TORCH-HEADLIGHT-/321484671361?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item4ad9fac981

(Single Cree LED Light)

neptune has linked to this as a product
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Cree-XML-XM-L-T6-LED-5200Lm-Bicycle-Bike-Lamp-HeadLamp-Head-Light-/400554413825?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item5d42e74f01

(4 Cree LED Light)

Now for my 2 pence worth:

(Comparing all lights with batteries supplied with them)

I purchased a Moon XP-1500 18 months ago and it has been very good to me. Love it. Battery case and cable got damaged at the start of summer so I looked for a cheaper replacement/ backup while I sorted out the battery for this again. Found both of the products above and bought 2 of the single LED versions and 1 of the 4 LED version.

Single LED Version on Overdrive is comparable to Moon XP on Mid Setting).
4 LED Version is brighter than Moon XP for a central spot when aiming at wall 1m away, 5m away the difference is not that noticeable and when looking 10m away, or bike mounted and focused on the road, the Moon XP-1500 kicks the 4 Cree LED light all the way down the street.
The reason is simple. The 4 Cree LEDs are arranged to flood a circular area and so will always dazzle on coming drivers whilst not lighting up the road enough to the side, the Moon is designed to have a low flat wide beam so that the verges are light whilst not loosing light up.

Personal Order of preference
1) Moon XP-1500
2) Cree 4 LED
3) Cree 1 LED

But I could change that if could reshape beam from Cree 4 LED with sensible reflection and add a handlebar on/off switch (I doubt it though).

Also have bought 3m of EL wire last week (currently powered from AA batteries but could power from e-bike battery) to wrap around frame triangle to make bike visible from the side as I cycle through town.

Currently feeling like the fairy on top of the Christmas tree (but safer!)

James

Reactions: neptune

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Personal Order of preference
1) Moon XP-1500
2) Cree 4 LED
3) Cree 1 LED

But I could change that if could reshape beam from Cree 4 LED with sensible reflection and add a handlebar on/off switch (I doubt it though).
You can reshape the beam on the single cree light with one of these, don't know whether it would work on the 4 cree light. I use one on a single cree in the hope it prevents me from dazzling oncoming drivers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEEN-ANGLE-DIFFUSER-LUMEN-LIGHTS/dp/B00DQ5IGMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416349643&sr=8-1&keywords=bike+light+diffuser

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
There's no switch. You can put an in-line jack plug and socket on the cable, and just plug it in when you need it, or you need to wire a switch to it.

Wiring like this:

View attachment 9680
nice diagram and thx for that, my problem is i have three wires coming from the unit, black , blue & white, unsure which is the Red (brown or live) and whether the black is really the black so to speak, have come across strange combinations of colours on e-bike circuitry, any suggestions would be most appreciated,
beeps

Attachments

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
s'ok, sourced my answer... the black is neg, the blue is for full wattage, the white is lo wattage, will need a three pole bar mounted rocker switch, anyone know of a good one ?

my thx in advance,
beeps

finding my wheels electric

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I chose this for my pedal cycle.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Cree-XML-XM-L-T6-LED-5200Lm-Bicycle-Bike-Lamp-HeadLamp-Head-Light-/400554413825?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item5d42e74f01

It is cheap. Comes with a charger. One and a half hours run time on max brightness. Three modes. LOW POWER,which is still quite bright for town use. HIGH POWER WHICH IS MEGA BRIGHT, for country lanes and tracks. STROBE which is flashing on high power. This mode would quickly do your head in. Does not cause dazzle on low power. Lamp mounts on handlebar by rubber strap, so easy to dip the whole lamp as required.

Only downside. On high power, tends to set fire to hedges, dogs and pedestrians.Very good value.
Neptune, I run one of those lights for off road use along side my Fenix. A guy that I met up with last week also uses two of them for off road riding. As an off road light the are superb.

The guy did raise an issue that I hadn't even considered. He said that he had ruined two batteries on one particularly wet rainy ride. The base and top of the batteries aren't sealed, and I guess could benefit from an application of silicon sealant or similar?

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Neptune, I run one of those lights for off road use along side my Fenix. A guy that I met up with last week also uses two of them for off road riding. As an off road light the are superb.

The guy did raise an issue that I hadn't even considered. He said that he had ruined two batteries on one particularly wet rainy ride. The base and top of the batteries aren't sealed, and I guess could benefit from an application of silicon sealant or similar?
I just poke those sort of batteries inside a sandwich bag and tie a knot in the top around where the cable comes out, then I put it back into the battery holder that ships with it and mount it on my bike. Keeps the nice and dry in all weathers when I am using them. (I also make sure the cable route out under the battery within the holder bag so that the plastic bag is naturally free draining if any water gets in there but the other bag holds the battery in by gravity!) - makes it easy to maintain/dismantle if required without having to worry about silicone caused chemical reactions.

James

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Also have bought 3m of EL wire last week (currently powered from AA batteries but could power from e-bike battery) to wrap around frame triangle to make bike visible from the side as I cycle through town.

Currently feeling like the fairy on top of the Christmas tree (but safer!)

James
Upgraded from EL Wire to LED tape. White at the front red at the back.
IMG_4383.JPG.jpg

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Being ultra cautious... If you mix 2 chemicals of unknown type what happens? ... Besides a food bag is quicker flatter and cheaper than a whole tube of silicone if you have no other user for it! - and I get an allergic reaction to silicone!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Upgraded from EL Wire to LED tape. White at the front red at the back.
View attachment 10420
Hiya

Can I ask source for this led tape ?

Is it the waterproof type? And are you running off a 12v source or tapped into main somehow ( via step down )?

I have El wire on my wheel rims. Which is great in a tron kind of way but not so practical (and you have to mount battery packs within the wheel)

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Hiya

Can I ask source for this led tape ?

Is it the waterproof type? And are you running off a 12v source or tapped into main somehow ( via step down )?

I have El wire on my wheel rims. Which is great in a tron kind of way but not so practical (and you have to mount battery packs within the wheel)
Hi Kirstin,

For EL wire and Tape:

This is the cheapest place that I have found and offers stuff that is competitive with China from within the UK

http://elwirecraft.co.uk/
(You will need an inverter to run it)

(My EL wire is Frame mounted to remove the multiple-battery pack issue)

for LED tape I used
http://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/led-strip-lights/led-tape.html

to get some LED tape before Christmas for a project for my wife. Very helpful, almost too helpful (they soldered stuff on where I didn't want it when I ordered extra connectors - but they didn't know what I was doing with it was very abnormal!)

(You can choose your IP rating that you want and finish your joints with silicone after soldering for an IP65 rated finish with the correct tape.)

Can't speak for Paul..

James

P.S. I have a 36V-12V DC-DC converter (and some spare if you want to buy one - I need to order enough to make the shipping not exceed the product cost) then I'm using a 12V inverter to run my EL wire (from ebay for £3/4)
(So I'm running my front light, Rear 12V LED and EL wire all from my 12V circuit - I may need more than 1 12V circuit when all is wired up properly I'm thinking, also hoping to provide 5V to Phone for navigation app to show me time/progress at night on trips off the normal route!)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Excuse my ignorance about the following, as I have never heard of it until now, but what chemical reaction?
Being really picky here Eddie and paying more attention than I did on the train this morning, You ask "what chemical reaction"

If no chemical reaction takes place, the silicone will not bond to the surface to which it is applied, it will just sit on the top. As this is done at room temp, the reaction is not thermal. so there must be a chemical reaction that causes the bonding to occur otherwise there would be no bonding and the silicone would fall off if a blob was put on a flat surface and upended when dried.

Good enough logic for evidence of a chemical reaction taking place?:cool:

If we follow this on, if a reaction has taken place, it has altered the chemical makeup of the battery pack holder and hence potentially its ability to perform as designed/specified.

James