Lightweight kit from MTB (9 year old)

GeeWIn

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 26, 2021
Hi,
I'm an enthusiast enduro rider, and I'm trying to get my son who is 9 years (and 145cm, approx 40kgs) more into mountain biking. He had a 24" mtb and I'm in the process of getting him a used 26" kids bike (approx size 13.5"). We live in a area with lots of smaller hills, which are small for me but too big for him.
I thought that one way to help him out (I have occasionally used my home made tow rope) to pull him up, but when were are out on a family ride with my 6 year old daughter and my wife I have difficulties getting them up the hill.
So i thought that I will convert his bike with a rear hub motor, so that he can join me more often when i go riding, and can also pull my daughter when I pull my wife up the hill. Looking to cover approximately 300-500 meters vertical over say 15-20km. So I would prefer the lightest 250W rear hub option with a small battery (should we go for a longer ride, I can happily take an additional battery in my pack, as I want to keep his bike as light as possible, and also a 13.5" bike does not have a lot of room in the front triangle ).
I wrench almost everything on my bike (apart form the suspension/dropper cartridge), so hopefully I can solve the conversion on my own, provided that I can get all the pieces of the puzzle.

I would appreciate any thoughts/help on choosing the right kit or components. I'm living in Hungary, so would prefer to source the components from the EU.

Many thanks for your help.

GeeWIn

May 26, 2021
Hi,
I'm an enthusiast enduro rider, and I'm trying to get my son who is 9 years (and 145cm, approx 40kgs) more into mountain biking. He had a 24" mtb and I'm in the process of getting him a used 26" kids bike (approx size 13.5"). We live in a area with lots of smaller hills, which are small for me but too big for him.
I thought that one way to help him out (I have occasionally used my home made tow rope) to pull him up, but when were are out on a family ride with my 6 year old daughter and my wife I have difficulties getting them up the hill.
So i thought that I will convert his bike with a rear hub motor, so that he can join me more often when i go riding, and can also pull my daughter when I pull my wife up the hill. Looking to cover approximately 300-500 meters vertical over say 15-20km. So I would prefer the lightest 250W rear hub option with a small battery (should we go for a longer ride, I can happily take an additional battery in my pack, as I want to keep his bike as light as possible, and also a 13.5" bike does not have a lot of room in the front triangle ).
I wrench almost everything on my bike (apart form the suspension/dropper cartridge), so hopefully I can solve the conversion on my own, provided that I can get all the pieces of the puzzle.

I would appreciate any thoughts/help on choosing the right kit or components. I'm living in Hungary, so would prefer to source the components from the EU.

Many thanks for your help.
Forgot to say looking at PAS only, so no throttle, very miniamlistic display, and the mtb will most probaby have a 9 speed shimano hg freewheel

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, I bought a 36 volt / 350W kit last year from company Yose - they shipped from their EU (Germany?) warehouse. Not sure if they supply any kits with simple displays, mine came with a basic LCD display and has been very good for me.
Website https://yosepower.com/
Looking at their site now it looks like batteries are now sold seperate.
For info there is also a "UK-only" Yose website just so you don't buy from there by accident.

More experienced folk will have suggestions about which kit might suit you best, hope you find one to suit you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For lightest kit or should I say lightest hub you will have to buy form China. Any EU sourced hub will be 3.3 kg - 4.4 kg approx. , a reputable brand from China like an Aikema 100 hub will come in at 2.1kg for freewheel model or 2.2kg for freehub model.

AKM-100H 36V350W EBike Rear Driving Hub Motor [AKM-100H rear motor] - $90.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce (topbikekit.com)

AKM-100CST Cassette 36V250W EBike Rear Driving Hub Motor 32/36 holes [AKM100CST EBike 36V250W motor] - $105.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce (topbikekit.com)

Use a KT controller 15a and use the tiny LCD4 minimalist display with BZ10c PAS sensor/disc.

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The main problem i can see will be the battery size fitting it into a small frame, yose power will supply all your needs make sure its from the German warehouse

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just in case you don't know, it's illegal for anyone under 14 years old to ride an electric bike anywhere except private land with the owner's permission, which makes all other points of legality moot.

Dr Ed

Just Joined
May 27, 2021
Just in case you don't know, it's illegal for anyone under 14 years old to ride an electric bike anywhere except private land with the owner's permission, which makes all other points of legality moot.
True for the UK but OP is in Hungry...not sure what the rules are there.

GeeWIn

May 26, 2021
Many thanks for all your help and recommendations, luckily in Hungary it is not forbidden for a kid to ride a pedal assist bike :)

So based on the recommendation I was thinking of ordering this motor:

If my current bike has a Shimano HG cassette (using it with 9seed at the moment) which option would I need to choose as the HG freewheel is universal?

On the rest, I will also go with the recommendation for the LCD4 display and BZ10c PAS sensor.

When it comes to batteries, I think one of these might actually fit:

or this one:

Questions here:
1. Would you recommend choosing the Panasonic one, it has slightly more ah on paper
2. I have chosen this as the base can house the controller which is this one:

Would this be a good enough fit for the motor?
3. I guess I will need to add another cable for the PAS sensor, but would I need any other 9pin extension cables for the set
4. For charging the suggested charger is either the M120 (2.5Ah) or the T120P (2Ah)

Many thanks

GeeWIn

May 26, 2021
Oh yes and the last question, I assume that this battery holder bolts onto the water bottle mounts of the bike right?
thx

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Order all the parts from the drop down menu on the Panasonic battery page, so:
Controller-36v inner controller
9 pins-60cm this is an extension for the motor
Brakes-not needed for PAS only
Charger-2.5 amp it's prob. slightly better quality
Display-LCD4
Cable-2-1 for the display to connect. 4-1 for throttle and brake cut outs.
Throttle-no
PAS-BZ10C-plugs direct into the controller

Yes, battery will fit to bottle mounts

GeeWIn

May 26, 2021
Order all the parts from the drop down menu on the Panasonic battery page, so:
Controller-36v inner controller
9 pins-60cm this is an extension for the motor
Brakes-not needed for PAS only
Charger-2.5 amp it's prob. slightly better quality
Display-LCD4
Cable-2-1 for the display to connect. 4-1 for throttle and brake cut outs.
Throttle-no
PAS-BZ10C-plugs direct into the controller

Yes, battery will fit to bottle mounts
Great many thanks for your help!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BZ10C I mentioned as it is quite universal for fitting most bikes, more so those that use the Hollowtech BB or Sram equivalent.
The HG I believe is a cassette for freehubs so you will need the 100C model, but make sure 100% before ordering. Freewheels are screw on and the cassette slides on via splines and a key way with fine thread retainer.
The first two bottle batteries CAN have an integrated controller in the base of the support bracket /receiver so as Pete has mentioned select the options from the drop down bars on the same listing.
The LCD4 has the functions of the excellent LCD3 but in a miniscule unobtrusive display.

As the battery is only 2 cells in parallel opt for the 2a charger typical charge time will be 3h 20m max from empty, also the 6.4ah /230wh battery will last a little longer. It won't be mega range but in low assist about 40km.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Great many thanks for your help!
I've just noticed the 2:1 cable I suggested to you is only 60cm long, which will prob. be too short, so get the 4:1. sorry for that, hope I've caught you before you place your order.

GeeWIn

May 26, 2021
I've just noticed the 2:1 cable I suggested to you is only 60cm long, which will prob. be too short, so get the 4:1. sorry for that, hope I've caught you before you place your order.
no worries thanks , just in time as I have sent them a question about spare battery and the hg casette compatibility :)

Andy-of-Leicester

Just Joined
May 22, 2018
Never have i come across anybody so obsessed with public obedience to the unlawful 'legal' system.

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
I think that the OP has his answer, just-joined Andy. Unless you can help?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Thanks for the information, I had assumed that (in the UK) the regulations on electric bikes applied to all ages.

GeeWIn

May 26, 2021
Hi, so I have just got my hands on the bike (see picture attached) facing the following issues:

1. It has an ISIS BB. My original plan based on the recommendation was to use BZ10c PAS , would I be able to fit this on ISIS BB? If not any alternatives I could use?
2. It seems that this battery pack (incl contoller)
will be too big for the frame. Has anybody come across some decent priced say 36V 6aH water bottle shaped battery packs I could use, or will I need to go down the DIY route (which I wanted to avoid).
3. Also now that I need a different battery, which speed controller should I use with this setup?

many thanks
Gabor

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The sensor bracket/ring will clamp behind the threaded retainer, the magnet ring will have to be secured to the inner chain ring.